Musician Abuse By Industry - Taking A Stand.

• Subscriber

Over in the thread about LiveNation buying Principle Management, 'surrenders' said: "Corporations rule nations and now artists."  (Corporations certainly have a strangle-hold on the U.S. - which is why there are serious efforts to get a Constitutional Amendment to take back our democracy from them.)

But at least U2 is in artistic control. They have the power of their position, too. Not all musicians are so lucky, of course. Check it out: I LOVE this letter! One musician takes a stand against an industry's abuse of musicians:

http://www.digitalmu...13/11/06/whitey

Edited by Alma1
  • Subscriber

I used to cry about not making it in the music industry despite all the learning, songwriting, traveling, etc I did.  Over time, I realized "making it" might actually be a curse for the very reasons cited in this article.  I lost my voice suddenly last year and hence lost my ability to perform or get public speaking gigs and have been paying major bucks to get it back.  But when I do, I know it will be to sing either for no compensation, a free meal at whatever restaurant, or for tips.  Ditto for speaking gigs but that's beside the point.  I have a good day job and do not rely on my music to cover my basic needs, unlike many other local artists.  Nobody wants to pay the musician, indeed.  I always loved the chance to simply perform, however part of me was always surprised at how club and restaurant owners, parks and rec people, etc, assume we are okay with no pay.  Whenever I read memoirs of musicians I love (Pat Benetar, Duff Mckagan, Fleetwood Mac, etc) I get the same vibe: the corporate world took them all for a ride and stole from them.  It's a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

In 1980 an album cost more to buy than it does today.  Music is the one commodity on the planet (I call it a commodity because I was informed that a commodity is anything you pay tax on) that has completely depreciated in value as the decades role on.  33 years on and it costs less to buy a single than it did then.  Mortar and stone have increased what? a thousand percent.  Your daily bread? Your water rates? Electricity? gas etc all the things you need for your physical body.  Music....sound pluckied from the cosmos by artists and passed on to YOU!!! is the one thing you buy that is good for your soul..your brain...your heart...your mind...It can lift you when you are depressed...it helps you celebrate...it helps you heal....it helps you to grieve....it gives you hope...it makes you wonder....it gives you good vibrations...it unites mankind...Music.... as good today as it's always been...it's better than bread...today's bread is poison...today's music is not....Music has been completely devalued instead of being exalted...Musicians may as well play for free because at the end of  the day your music is worth nothing...Selling records...how much does a musician actually make when the promoters/managers/publishers/employees/pensions/national insurance/taxes/record company executives/ have all taken their share??? :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: