What's Your Slang? Irish & Otherwise... (Regionalisms, Sayings, Accents, Etc.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

:o   :huh:   :)   Being a member of this site is hugely educational sometimes...

Thanks Frank! (I'm trusting that u didn't just create that wiki page as a joke to pull my leg! You've got better things to do!) Hey, they didn't teach us this in school, although I went to excellent schools - but then they can't teach everything, right? Traveling the world & learning a lot of things first-hand is great, too.

• Subscriber

My family and I are originally from Minnesota so we are famous for saying "I see" which is translated to "I understand".

Thanks, illumination. I see. :)

• Subscriber

A hello to everyone from mylifeline. That's from her.

The reason she had to ask me to say hello for her instead of saying it herself: her computer is 'on the fritz.' That slang is from me.

I have no idea where that term originated, although anyone could look it up, but I know it's been in America at least for decades - I think I've seen it in at least 1 old black & white movie from the 1940s (or early 1950s).

• Subscriber

The reason she had to ask me to say hello for her instead of saying it herself: her computer is 'on the fritz.' That slang is from me.

I have no idea where that term originated, although anyone could look it up, but I know it's been in America at least for decades - I think I've seen it in at least 1 old black & white movie from the 1940s (or early 1950s).

Her computer is "up the left"

:)

• Subscriber

Her computer is "up the left"

:)

What the freak? True? I wonder how that saying originated.

Well, I should maybe correct a little something - mylifeline describes her computer's hard drive as 'dead.' But 'on the fritz' refers to something that's temporarily broken (& needs to be fixed).

• Subscriber

I'm "bewitched, bothered, & bewildered" by the fact the U2 universe always seems devoid of Seinfeld fans. Ok that's not slang - that's song lyrics.

But senses of humor can be regional, too. It was reported that people in some other countries didn't find the Seinfeld sense of humor funny - including in England. And Germany I think. After that, Jerry Seinfeld made a humorous commercial where he goes to England because of it, walks across Abbey Rd, eats some fish & chips, & then British people think he's funny.

In my experience, even Americans either LOVED it or didn't get the humor - either practically worshiped it or felt like 'what's so funny about that?' I had 1 fellow American even tell me "that's not comedy." LOL! (But u can put me in the 'practically worshiped it' column.)