Poems, Videos, Lyrics, Letting A Positive Vibe-->Or Making Reflect--> Or Smile

Go to solution Solved by paoladegliesposti,

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy birthday Eric "Slowhand" Patrick Clapton!! http://www.ericclapton.com/?frontpage=true         Tell the truth. Tell me who's been fooling you?Tell

No she wasn’t Sk8r boy is rubbish! avril latrine!?

Posted Images

Mutability

We are as clouds that veil the midnight moon;
How restlessly they speed, and gleam, and quiver,
Streaking the darkness radiantly!--yet soon
Night closes round, and they are lost forever:

Or like forgotten lyres, whose dissonant strings
Give various response to each varying blast,
To whose frail frame no second motion brings
One mood or modulation like the last.

We rest.--A dream has power to poison sleep;
We rise.--One wandering thought pollutes the day;
We feel, conceive or reason, laugh or weep;
Embrace fond woe, or cast our cares away:

It is the same!--For, be it joy or sorrow,
The path of its departure still is free:
Man's yesterday may ne'er be like his morrow;
Nought may endure but Mutability. 

Percy Bisshe Shelley

Sonnett XXXI

Thou comest! all is said without a word. 
I sit beneath thy looks, as children do 
In the noon-sun, with souls that tremble through 
Their happy eyelids from an unaverred 
Yet prodigal inward joy. Behold, I erred 
In that last doubt! and yet I cannot rue 
The sin most, but the occasion--that we two 
Should for a moment stand unministered 
By a mutual presence. Ah, keep near and close, 
Thou dovelike help! and, when my fears would rise, 
With thy broad heart serenely interpose: 
Brood down with thy divine sufficiencies 
These thoughts which tremble when bereft of those, 
Like callow birds left desert to the skies.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

And with what body do they come?

'And with what body do they come?' - 
Then they do come - Rejoice!
What Door - What Hour - Run - run - My Soul!
Illuminate the House!

'Body!' Then real - a Face and Eyes - 
To know that it is them!
Paul knew the Man that knew the News - 
He passed through Bethlehem - 

Emily Dickinson

:)

• Subscriber
On 6/13/2017 at 5:26 PM, Manohlive said:

From Muse to Bryon to Shelly and back to Muse?    I love it but am confused.  May I ask a couple questions?

- Is it cool to include a link to a poem or song?  I presume so as I've seen it done and enjoyed many of the ones which were posted.

-It seems people are writing their own verse, yes?  If so, is one's own writing protected?   I presume it is not.

-If a person's work has been published, albeit for a hundred years or once in a periodical, is it then protected?

Thank you for this thread and the links.  It's wonderful to hear someone else recite Caged Bird and If and Anna Belle Lee.

Hello Manohlive. Some folks do write their own poetry although it's more likely to see people post poems that they like by others. This is not legal advice about protection of one's own writing / intellectual property, & laws do change from time to time of course, but I took a 'media law' course in the past (here in the U.S.) & the general rule I learned then was that once you've published something you wrote (wherever you've published or posted it), as long as it's dated & can be shown that you're the person who published or posted it, then that serves as a sort of copyright on its own, showing it's yours - obviously as long as no one else published or posted the same thing before you did.

I recommend that if you post original work here & you want to keep track of that, then keep a copy for yourself that you can find, & make a note of when you posted it & where. For ex, if you write an original poem or post original lyrics here, keep a copy for yourself that you can find - for ex, copy-&-paste a copy into an email & send it to yourself (which I would think would date-stamp it, too). I once posted an original little poem of mine on U2.com which was not a big-deal poem, but it had sentimental value to me & I liked it, & I probably kept a copy of it but I'm not sure whether I could find it now.

As far as your last question goes - and I wish a lawyer would see your question & jump in w/ some general guidance since what I'm saying is not legal advice - I've always understood that it can depend on the kind of work & can also depend on whether someone is using someone else's work to make money from it or not. I have a question about this myself because I always heard that after a certain number of years (a long time - like, for ex, maybe after 25 yrs) songs then become part of the 'public domain' & can be sampled or recorded by other artists - but then I've also heard about the song "Happy Birthday" supposedly being copyrighted & people having to pay to use that song in certain circumstances, which doesn't make sense to me. Well, to some extent, the law doesn't have to make sense to people though, does it - it just is whatever it is, Lol. As far as copying & distributing certain works or excerpts of certain works, I've always heard there's something called 'fair use' under which a person can copy & distribute someone else's work to some extent (if it's not prohibited otherwise) as long as it's for educational purposes or other such non-money-making purposes.

You can definitely post music videos here & poetry/verse/lyrics, but I'm thinking it can't be a spam type of thing where someone is posting a link to a commercial, money-making website. People do post videos from youtube here to share w/ each other some songs they like, for ex, whether it's music of U2's or other bands (as much as we hugely love & adore U2, we scandalously listen to other music too, lol). I've seen some folks post some of their own music (& verse) & I'm happy to say I've never seen someone abuse it in a spammy/overly self-promotional/commercial way. But if you still have questions, I think Bigwave (the u2.com manager) would probably be the person to ask. I think it was good of you to ask in the first place. Btw, when you mentioned Caged Bird, were you referring to Maya Angelou's work (i.e. 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings')? B)

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, paoladegliesposti said:

And with what body do they come?

'And with what body do they come?' - 
Then they do come - Rejoice!
What Door - What Hour - Run - run - My Soul!
Illuminate the House!

'Body!' Then real - a Face and Eyes - 
To know that it is them!
Paul knew the Man that knew the News - 
He passed through Bethlehem - 

Emily Dickinson

:)

:o Paola! I didn't remember that Dickinson poem! I don't remember having seen it before. What awesome poetry you've been posting! I'm glad you posted the Shelley & Rossetti poems, too. :)

• Subscriber

"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?

It is the East, & Juliette is the sun."

And that's your ounce of Shakespeare for today. (From memory, so I hope I got it right. ^_^ ) 

357. A Grace before dinner.

O THOU who kindly dost provide
For every creature's want!
We bless Thee, God of Nature wide,
For all Thy goodness lent:
And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide,
May never worse be sent;
But, whether granted, or denied,
Lord, bless us with content. Amen 

Robert Burns

• :mellow:Share on Twitter

Distant Time - Poem by Rabindranath Tagore

I know not from what distant time 
thou art ever coming nearer to meet me. 
Thy sun and stars can never keep thee hidden from me for aye. 

In many a morning and eve thy footsteps have been heard 
and thy messenger has come within my heart and called me in secret. 

I know not only why today my life is all astir, 
and a feeling of tremulous joy is passing through my heart. 

It is as if the time were come to wind up my work, 
and I feel in the air a faint smell of thy sweet presence. 

Edited by paoladegliesposti