Change Of Studio Approach

Malahide

• Subscriber

In an interview with the LA Times Bono explains one of the reasons of the delay on the new album:

"Those who saw U2 on its last stadium tour, the 360 Tour, may remember that some of the "No Line on the Horizon" songs drastically shifted in their live presentation. One such number was a techno-infused "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," a song that's essentially a ballad on record.

"That always should have been a dance track," Bono said. "It worked great on the 360 Tour. Some songs turn into something different live, and that’s one of the reasons for the delays on this recent U2 album." 

Bono said the band has changed its studio approach and is trying every new song in multiple keys, different tempos and altered arrangements. If "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" was vastly improved by being road-tested, Bono doesn't want that to happen again.

"We're trying to discover the thing you would find out after six months on the road. We want to get those changes in before we release the album."

Read the full story here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/music/la-et-ms-u2-wants-avoid-the-esoteric-on-new-album-win-an-oscar-20140224,0,5853508.story#ixzz2uL2GPIZA

• Subscriber

Crazy tonight was so good Live because you got to hear more of the rhythm section (emphasized bass-lines from Adam) and smashing drum-action from Larry, a more dynamic, funkier guitar by Edge and Slick Vocals by Bono, so ti is all about U2 ! ...It is precisely why this road - version  represented the highlight of 360...the Redanka studio-mix was crap !

• Subscriber

That title sounds Awful..the esoteric is the key, No Line was a Great Album !!!  I love the title track...I love every track...Bono is so wrong if he thinks what he says is right...The way he sang on "No Line " was like nothing other...Top of The Game, it truly was (and is) an eternal melody !!!

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

I think Bono is right when he says "some songs turn into something different live" - and that's what's great about seeing them in concert.

I'm neutral about Crazy Tonight - I like both the live and studio versions of the song. Love And Peace Or Else is a song that I enjoyed more live than on CD. I like the studio version of Even Better... (and possibly Vertigo) more than Breathe, but for me, Breathe was definitely the best opener of those three songs when hearing them live. Bad became what it is because of Live Aid, I Still Haven't Found... is the crowd sing-along, Streets is the anticipated song, Until The End Of The World is always awesome live, Bono forgets the lyrics to Desire at Popmart and the crowd is there to fill in the gaps.

Live brings great - and sometimes spontaneous or unexpected - moments, and I'm not sure that can be easily replicated in the studio.