What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I hope he loses the election by a landslide.

You and me both. 2016: Trump won my state by less than one percentage point.  He won Pennsylvania by less than one percentage point.  He won Michigan by less than one percentage point.  He would not be president without those three states.  I'm more worried about what happens when he won't admit he was fired.  People have lots and lots of guns.  They are pissed, convinced they've been cornered and are gonna get cheated in the election.  I have a lot of hope but no blind eye to what can happen.  He is certifiable.  I'm more convinced of it every day.  18 interviews to Bob Woodward?   That's warp speed past just being stupid.  He screwed up, knew it and foolishly convinced himself that those interviews were his ticket out of yet another chaotic mess.  The insane thing is that the 42-43 percent of Americans who back him continue to do so blindly.  However, his fringe continues to fray.   🙏

I just took a really nice walk by Lake Michigan.  For the first time in months, my dog and I had it all to ourselves; not a car or person in sight.  I love my city.

The AKC sanctioned Irish Terrier show took place this past Saturday.  I was going to show Riri but opted out of it..  18 dogs.  Only the owners and judges could attend.  All CDC guidelines were followed.  All dogs showed, which was a big deal because they had Majors in confirmation during the pandemic.  The owners and dogs badly need to get AKC points. Riri's daughter, Potinn, won Winners bitch from the Bred by Owners class.  I have no idea how it all works, despite having it explained several times.  It's Sanskrit to this Zootopian. 😀 

I also had a really nice talk with my Irish Terrier mentor.  It's been a while.  Her brother died from Covid-19 complications. He was in a place which is right across the street from me. She lives a 40 minute drive out of the city.  Since I got Riri, on November 3 of last year, she has been across the street visiting him almost every day.  Not once did we run into each other, even though I'm always walking my dog by that building.  The day he died, as she was leaving,; she saw us, got our of her car, gave me a hug, told me, gave Riri a couple of pets and then drove away.  I don't think it was coiincidence but that's just me.  Either way, I was there for a dear friend when she needed it most.   It's very cool that I can say it and not be taking credit.  I love that part of life.   We finally got a chance to talk and she's doing well.  Irish Terriers have become a huge part of my life.  If I had the means, I'd be buying a place where I could breed them.  Perhaps that dream is worth a buck for a lottery ticket.   haha

Edited by Manohlive
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got accepted into University!

One of my best mates who has been having  chemo and surgery for a nasty cancer had his post treatment scan results today and has been declared cancer free. It doesn’t get much better than that .

I convinced my dad to stay home today, because there are lots cases of coronavirus in their town!

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I didn't get to post it on Wednesday night, but I went to see the new Bill and Ted film on the first day of it's UK release.

It's always a little nerve-wracking when they make belated sequels, but in this case, they've got the original writers on board and of course the same two lead actors (as well as several of the key supporting cast). And it's a brilliant film. Emotional at times, but also genuinely very funny. And well done to the casting department as they made spot-on picks to play Bill and Ted's daughters. Thoroughly enjoyed it and, while they obviously can't have predicted the current circumstances when they were making it last year, it feels like it's arrived at the perfect time to bring a bit of light and warmth and humour into our lives. And with several of the cast, writers etc being on social media, it's so cool to be able to tell them that directly :D

Oh, and if you do go and see it, make sure you stay to the very end of the end credits. There's a lovely extra scene which brought tears to my eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I - after many, many months - finally finished 1st in the Diamond League (i.e., the highest of their 10 leagues) for the week on Duolingo! 😊

The highest I was ever able to finish was third (once in the Diamond League, once in a lower league that I can't remember). I even did it as a free member too; so, I beat out all the other free and paid members this past week as well. 😎

I have to give a lot of credit to Duolingo - they make learning a new language very entertaining. (I do recommend the app to others wanting to learn a new language.)

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, dmway said:

I - after many, many months - finally finished 1st in the Diamond League (i.e., the highest of their 10 leagues) for the week on Duolingo! 😊

The highest I was ever able to finish was third (once in the Diamond League, once in a lower league that I can't remember). I even did it as a free member too; so, I beat out all the other free and paid members this past week as well. 😎

I have to give a lot of credit to Duolingo - they make learning a new language very entertaining. (I do recommend the app to others wanting to learn a new language.)

Congratulations! Thank you for studying my native language!

Edited by andryu2
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber

I received a lovely new addition to my Star Wars art collection this morning. Topps are doing limited edition, A3-size prints of the artwork used for the cards in the Star Wars Living Set and I ordered one of my favourite character Poe Dameron. It arrived today 😍

I'm relieved it arrived as it's taken over a month since I ordered it - and subsequent Living Set prints have had issues with bots buying them up before genuine fans can get them. But I have my Poe. Just need to find him a a frame.

Also, I went out to one of the larger local libraries today and found 9 books to borrow. The 9 included several large hardbacks that nearly didn't fit in my carrier bags. Note to self: take larger bags next time I go to that library :lol:

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
On 9/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, andryu2 said:

Congratulations! Thank you for studying my native language!

On 9/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, dmway said:

You are studying Portuguese?  That's impressive.  I know Spanish and Italian.  Portuguese is a whole other ball game.  I don't even try to understand when I hear it spoken.  I just listen to the flow.  It's beautiful.  I am going to check out Duolingo.   

Congrats, dmway.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You are studying Portuguese?  That's impressive.  I know Spanish and Italian.  Portuguese is a whole other ball game.  I don't even try to understand when I hear it spoken.  I just listen to the flow.  It's beautiful.  I am going to check out Duolingo.   

Congrats, dmway.  

Thank you!

The funny thing is that, linguistically speaking, you know the two languages that are closest to Portuguese. Thus, you would have very little problem with the vocabulary once you understood the spelling differences between them. (The grammar could be a different matter.)

Duolingo is wonderful! This isn't a random opinion - I taught foreign languages (i.e., Ancient Greek and Latin) for over 20 years. With that experience, I can confirm that their method of teaching is pedagogically sound...and fun! If you like apps that are more conversationally-oriented, you may want to check out Babbel as well. If you want one that's great on all four skills (i.e., reading, writing, listening, and speaking), it's hard to do better than Rosetta Stone. There are many others, but these three would teach you whatever you wanted to learn in whatever manner you wanted to learn.

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
12 hours ago, dmway said:

(The grammar could be a different matter.)

It's a nightmare.  I spoke Spanish fluently, then learned Italian.  It's been years since I've been able to speak either on a regular basis.  It's now Spatalian or Italish.  I'd love to go to Lisbon and more.  I want to see those giant waves off the coast of Portugal.  

For the first time since I can remember, I woke up feeling rather well today.  I think I'm getting better at this headache thing. Also, my best bud of 42 years and I have been watching sitcoms together, without actually being physically present.  We decide on the season and show, watch and then call each other to laugh at all the jokes when we're done.  It's been wonderful.  I miss laughing with people.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, dmway said:

Thank you!

The funny thing is that, linguistically speaking, you know the two languages that are closest to Portuguese. Thus, you would have very little problem with the vocabulary once you understood the spelling differences between them. (The grammar could be a different matter.)

Duolingo is wonderful! This isn't a random opinion - I taught foreign languages (i.e., Ancient Greek and Latin) for over 20 years. With that experience, I can confirm that their method of teaching is pedagogically sound...and fun! If you like apps that are more conversationally-oriented, you may want to check out Babbel as well. If you want one that's great on all four skills (i.e., reading, writing, listening, and speaking), it's hard to do better than Rosetta Stone. There are many others, but these three would teach you whatever you wanted to learn in whatever manner you wanted to learn.

Poor language teachers! They are heading towards extinction.

• Upvote 1