No Tour 'till 2015 True Or No, Deny Or Spill Truth / Hoping This Is Not True [Merged]

The boys have a lot of individual things going on and are not focused.  

Hi Swanny66, regarding what you said above - yes it is very disappointing to wait so long for a new album, but it is MORE upsetting to buy tickets to a show expecting to see the members of the band on stage, and then not have them show up because they checked in to rehab or quit the tour right in the middle of it to spend time with their child.  This did happen with another band.  I forgot to read the guidelines here at the U2 Forums, and don't know if we can talk about other bands.  Don't even know why I brought up this topic. It just came to my mind as I'm sitting here watching The Big Band Theory :-)  Have a good weekend everyone.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I say relax.  Have they let you down? They've been teasing us, sure, but until you hear it from them on this website it's all speculation. So sit back, put on a great U2 album, and trust that the next album will be worthy of the rotation in your life. And then we'll see the boys on the road again.  And that's the point, am I right?

• Subscriber

there is a report in the SCOTTISH DAILY RECORD newspaper that U2 were trying to book the venue the GLASGOW HYDRO for shows in SEP 2014 ! they were unable to do so becvause it was fully booked but it all goes well for a UK indoor tour this year .

• Subscriber

Maybe the magic is gone, who knows. What I am fed up of hearing is Bono harping on about needing to be relevant. It's music, if it's good it's good. Not sure what makes something relevant - appealing to teenagers? I've been a U2 fan for 25 years - don't care about being relevant.

• Subscriber

It may have been 6 yrs between albums, but they've only been actively working on the new album since the end of the tour in 2011.  They always seem to wait until they get off the road, spend some time with their families, and on vacation; then they go back into the studio.  It was nearly two full years after the Elevation tour ended, before they even started recording "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb".  Taking this kind of time is nothing new. Better to take the time to get it right, than to have another "Pop", eh?

I will never work out why people have a problem with 'Pop' And I am fed up to the back teeth with people making excuses for the band taking so long to release an album.They are musicians - musicians make music.Simple.

I like 'Pop' but I think the comment had to do with the fact that they planned the tour dates before they were finished with the album, I saw them in Dallas on that tour and it disappointed a lot of my friends because they weren't at the top of their game. By the end of that tour they were fantastic, live versions of 'The Last Night On Earth' and 'Please' or 'Discotheque/If You Wear that Velvet Dress' were all great by the time they'd been on the road for a while but the beginning of the tour was pretty abysmal. 

• Subscriber

I don't mind waiting for a new album but I do think the band needs to lighten up a bit about trying to stay at the top of the charts or remaining relevant.  Perhaps Bono should listen to his own lyrics: "If you hold onto something so tight, you've already lost it".  I remember reading an interview with Daniel Lanois a few years ago and he said that there was a beautiful piece of music left off of the 'No Line' album because the band didn't think it would be a good single. They didn't release it as a B-side, I'm still curious about hearing it. Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring. Give us some unconventional sounding songs, something like Dylan would do where the lyrics flow from beginning to end without necessarily repeating anything. That guy is in his 70s and still recording fantastic new music.

Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring.

but isn't always good for a band to diversify their talents and actually prove that they can write and play **different** kinds of music?  If they wrote the same types of songs on each album, then it will be boring, at least in my opinion.  For example, I was  a HUGE HUGE Bon Jovi fan (keyword, **was**).  I was 12  when I first heard Bad Name and Prayer and had not been exposed to any other kind of music - In fact it was my sis who got me to like them (we shared a bedroom).  At that point in our lives the only music my sis and I knew were songs on the radio and Sinatra or whoever else my dad played down in our basement. ** see below.  He is a retired high school music teacher and had his own wedding band on the weekends  :-)

But getting back to Bon Jovi..... However, it was on their next album New Jersey that Richie had played the mandolin or the acoustic guitar as a short intro, and I LOVED how it sounded.   This is what made me like him for his musical talent and not his cute smile or dimples.   Please listen and enjoy.

**edited to say my parents never had cable tv so we couldn't watch music videos

Edited by chris1043
  • Subscriber

I don't mind waiting for a new album but I do think the band needs to lighten up a bit about trying to stay at the top of the charts or remaining relevant.  Perhaps Bono should listen to his own lyrics: "If you hold onto something so tight, you've already lost it".  I remember reading an interview with Daniel Lanois a few years ago and he said that there was a beautiful piece of music left off of the 'No Line' album because the band didn't think it would be a good single. They didn't release it as a B-side, I'm still curious about hearing it. Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring. Give us some unconventional sounding songs, something like Dylan would do where the lyrics flow from beginning to end without necessarily repeating anything. That guy is in his 70s and still recording fantastic new music.

I'd love to hear that piece of music left off the Horizon Sessions !!!!!