The End Of U2 ? (Merged)

• Subscriber

While the news is disappointing we have to trust the bands judgement if they don't feel the music is right. The recent flurry of U2 activity got me listening to the back catalogue. Coldplay, while writing some good stuff themselves haven't written the hits that U2 have. I'm even more disappointed in fans now saying they're turning their back on them, you're not true fans. This is a band that gave us the urgency of New Year's Day, the beauty of the unforgettable fire, the drama of Bad, the sonic masterpiece of Where the streets have no name, the emotional rollercoaster of With or without you, the R&B sway of Angel of Harlem, the dance swagger of Even Better and Mysterious Ways, the thundering beat of Mofo, the pop of Beautiful day & elevation, and the pure rock n roll adrenalin of Veritgo. This band has given us some absolutely memorable music over the years and as fans we should be proud. Support their better judgement despite your disappointment!

I agree.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I've loved this band since 1980 and boy.but since achtung baby they have increasingly become stale . admittedly there have been at least five classic tunes but the magic of say the unforgettable fire period was not in evidence.youre right I shouldn't give a shit and it really is like clinging on to a love affair that has ended but you kid yourself into thinking it can be rekindled.i don't live for a new up album it's just they should basically not tease with cryptic clues of song titles and inspirations which they have done on numerous occasions. I just would love the bans to just go away and come back they have something concrete. Personally I don't think they will come back and that is for the best.this is not negativity but an honest opinion from someone who has loved the music for such a long time.their great music will live on and I will certainly return to it frequently. Nothing lasts forever.

• Subscriber

I have gone 'beyond my allotted quotes to reply to' which is the message I got so hope Peter and Mac see this

Peter, my bad and I apologize for not putting 'top 40' in that statement which was my intention and I now understand your opinion of that statement. I concur with you on those bands and that was my intention to say, they will never have a shot at top 40 ratings because the OVERALL youth of the nation is into electronic pop slop instead of bands that you mentioned and I agree with, which have a lot more substance to them.. it's sad to be in a good rock band and not get popular due to massive 'brainwashing' of poppy tunes being played every 15 minutes that have no substance and quality

Edited by Jake99
  • Subscriber

I mean do you really want this once great band to turn into the rolling stones. A heritage act playing on the dreams of yesterday.its only my opinion but I'm entitled to it.ive a feeling the band know this and are too scared to admit it.the retirement of Mcguinness as manager now takes on a whole new meaning.if he felt the band were still viable he would still be steering the ship.as I've said before I take no joy from just sadness that a once brilliant star died long ago but we still see it shine and believe it to be alive.an illusion that only makes the end more painful.u2 are dead long live broken bells.the chain remains.

• Subscriber

Since Edge said they'd be busy this summer, we assumed an album and tour. Now,with this article stating nothing until 2015, the fans deserve to hear the facts from U2. Show some respect for your fans.

Get out there and rock and roll. No Line was not the strongest album, but the tour was a spectacular success. No reason why the next one won't be great if they give it their all. But, maybe they are not up for it? Sad few days in U2 world.

• Subscriber

I have gone 'beyond my allotted quotes to reply to' which is the message I got so hope Peter and Mac see this

Peter, my bad and I apologize for not putting 'top 40' in that statement which was my intention and I now understand your opinion of that statement. I concur with you on those bands and that was my intention to say, they will never have a shot at top 40 ratings because the OVERALL youth of the nation is into electronic pop slop instead of bands that you mentioned and I agree with, which have a lot more substance to them.. it's sad to be in a good rock band and not get popular due to massive 'brainwashing' of poppy tunes being played every 15 minutes that have no substance and quality

No problem mate. I can see where you were coming from though.

• Subscriber

good Mac and hope all is good with you and yours.. you know me bud I like to KRANK my rock and roll, new and old.. if it wasn't for Frozen being played here twice a half hour on top 40 stations, it would never have won the Oscar aside from the fact that Disney tunes rule the Oscars and the show itself being broadcasted by the Disney Corp..bias you think? 

these top 40 tunes are suppose to be inspiration to young listeners who want to play music? the horror ..and for the sake of humanity I wish they would start to recognize rock as a true form of music. it's changed for the worse .when in the 80's type 40 was indated with rock and dance

• Subscriber

Gotta hate the Robot-Fart Music called Dubstep and Whatevah other "genres" derive from this Poison...If they won't fight, The Youth today will turn themselves into ROBOTS !!

Edited by pain_18_