Music Discovered!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

That song gets u moving from the beginning. After hearing that one, I think I should wish u "good luck"! (Btw, I always thought any Ace was good luck. Not that I ever played cards much, though.)

The 1st 4 notes were reminding me of some song & I had to think of it. I realized it was this song by the Four Tops. (Motown.) If u listen to the 1st 4 notes of this song maybe you'll see what I mean. Just a similarity there. (Funny, I just realized it's the first four notes that had me wondering, & it turns out it's the Four Tops. :) ) :

• Subscriber
Way-back music history: young Sinatra. A change of pace (doesn't happen to be jazz - sorry Chris!  :D ) I was already familiar w/ his music & have my favorites of it, but what I discovered was this remarkable footage - check out the recording equipment at the beginning!

Starts w/ a 'recording session' of 1 song. Then - a remarkable short film w/ a 2nd song (I guess the 2nd song is called 'The House I Live In' - nice words, but personally wouldn't be 1 of my favorites of his.) I didn't know he'd ever done a social commentary / public service thing like that. (Well, it's from b4 I was born - from the WWII era. or around then.) In this film, he's someone who saves a kid from bullies b4 he sings. (A bunch of kids chasing 1 kid whose religion is Judaism.) He speaks against prejudices like ethnic & religious ones, & speaks about what America is supposed to be about - that it's made up of all kinds of people. B4 it was done, it reminded me of Bono saying 'America is an idea.'

• Subscriber

Btw, Chris (if u see this), there's something in that little film about someone's Dad saving someone's life w/ some of his own blood. (I didn't think of that til after I decided to post the video.)

• Subscriber

Btw also, about Frank Sinatra saying "religion makes no difference...people all over the world worship God in many different ways" - even though I think Jesus is the Son of God & I would not say any religion is just the 'same' as any other, I took him to mean that no one should look down on anyone else just for being different from them, which I totally agree with - I took him to be supporting freedom of religion & the right to freedom of conscience.

• Subscriber

This one's for Jenn.

I've walked these streets
A virtual stage
It seemed to me
Make up on their faces
Actors took their
Places next to me

I've walked these streets
In a carnival
Of sights to see...

• Subscriber

This is how I got into Nine Inch Nails. I'd heard of them but never bothered to listen. Now I'm going to see them next week!

Enjoy. I haven't listened to their more recent albums, but from their early albums, sometimes I liked their instrumentation / their sound. And sometimes the beat - like the driving beat in 'Happiness in Slavery.' I couldn't get into most of their lyrics, though. I'd like to check out their later albums if I ever have the chance.

But there's a sound element in some of their songs that I like. It's there in 'Happiness in Slavery,' for example. Not sure I could explain it well enough that you'd hear the connection, but maybe just from listening to 1 of the kinds of song I'm referring to that I love, maybe you'd know what I mean. I'm not saying these bands are 'alike' of course, but it reminds me of something in some songs that I love by other artists, for example by No Doubt / Gwen Stefani:

I love this song & video. 'Hella Good' by No Doubt:

The synth bass does sound like Happiness in Slavery, the drums seem more like the ones in Only. But yeah, this is a pretty good song!

• Subscriber

THANKS for the feedback, Peter! I'm interested either way in how people think or feel about music & what they like (I never judge people on their taste in music at all - to each his own - it's such a personal thing) -but I'm glad u like that!  Thanx Peter & Chris for the thoughts, feedback, names of bands / musical artists...  :)

Hey everyone out there in the U2 Universe - DISCOVER SOMETHING DARN IT & then share it here! Ok...I know that's not how it works. A pleasant surprise is just that - a surprise - not something u plan. But...

discovery.png

...it can be something from the past - like a memory about the 1st time(s) u heard a band u loved - including U2 - or not U2 - or a sound, an instrument, something about a musical artist or producer, etc. - as long as it's anything related to MUSIC.

It doesn't have to be any particular kind of music either - it can be any genre, decade/time-frame, etc - there's just 1 thing it has to be: something to do w/MUSIC.

But if u DO (or DID in the past) discover anything to do w/ music that surprised u in a good way - or even just interested u - share it!

• Subscriber

Glad u like the Natalie Merchant 'Carnival' video, Jenn. :)

I really like to see black & white video once in awhile and really like b&w photography. Sometimes love it, like u do.