U2 + Social Media = Big Fat Zero

Allegra

• Subscriber

I know there's a lot of Coldplay haters in here, but here's proof, an example of Coldplay using social media.

They actually find time in their busy schedule to write letters, little notes, to their fans.

When was the last time U2 or anyone in the band has done this?

Adam's little videos maybe way back in 2010?

Anyway, say what you want, but there's no denying that Coldplay does a better job....excuse me...

MOST bands do a better job with social media than U2 could ever dream of doing!

OK...off my soapbox...as you were...

Here's the example straight from Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/coldplay/posts/10154190597965253?fref=nf

"thanks so much for the kindnesses you've shown us around ghost stories. it means a lot, and i think we have the best fans on earth. love cm" - Chris Martin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I like to take the pee out of Coldplay just for a larf, I used to like them a lot but think in more recent years their music has become a tad naff for my ears!!

But they are no doubt more 'open' to social media but do you think that's because their fame coincided with the popularity of social media so it is more of a natural way of 'communicating' for them?

U2 have had to adapt to it and, as a 46 year old myself, it can feel quite unnatural and a bit of a strange world if it's something you're not used to doing (even if you feel you have to). If they do embrace social media I hope they never say anything like the quote above from Chris Martin :lol:, it's so not very U2, I'd feel more comfortable if they said 'feck off' and continued using the middle finger tbh!!!

I prefer U2's 'attitude' type approach personally, it fits them, rather then anything too nicey nicey yuk yuk kiss kiss. ;) bleughhh!

Edited by Anjana

• Subscriber

5 stars, I agree with Allegra !

Anjana , what you're saying would be true if U2 would shut the feck up with the rumors, stop speculating/visiting Clooney/South of France/Whatevah... (see Adam's 'new' take on it) and get to work on the album !!!

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

Anjana , what you're saying would be true if U2 would shut the feck up with the rumors, stop speculating/visiting Clooney/South of France/Whatevah... (see Adam's 'new' take on it) and get to work on the album !!!

it's just part of their creative process :P, they've always got some rumour-mill-mongering, speculatering, leakering, whatevering going on before albums!! It's just their mysterious ways! ^_^

• Subscriber

MOST bands do a better job with social media than U2 could ever dream of doing!

But u2 do better music...when they do it :D

I do nat hate Coldplay, i simply do not like them. And i do not care about work on social media; I know this is that era but a band must do music songs records...cd shows, things like that. All the rest is just a "frame" to the main work. Obviously just my 2 cents :)

• Subscriber

it's just part of their creative process :P, they've always got some rumour-mill-mongering, speculatering, leakering, whatevering going on before albums!! It's just their mysterious ways! ^_^

This Rumor-Mill is grinding down (Milling!) the new album !!!

• Subscriber

Allegra, I'll answer here because I've already said to you that I agree 100% in this situation. But I wasn't against you in the other thread about Mexico, I'm mad just like all fans. I was just trying to be realistic but I didn't like to see that too.

Well, I'm not a big fan of Coldplay. I think their music is good only if you want to take a nap. However, I can't deny they're working better than U2. Not only Coldplay, there are thousands of bands that are very active in the social media and not only the 'young' artists, you can find Rolling Stone, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

I think it should have a better connection between U2.com and their social media (twitter, facebook, instagram) because we know they're in the studio only due to interviews. I think I've never seen any 'official statement' from U2. But after so long, I can see fans are getting tired... we've been hearing about a new album for a long time. And what about 'the best weeks in studio since 1979' that Bono said? It's been so long and it seems they've changed the producers and they've been working in different places, Dublin, NY, London, LA now... How many albums they will release? They must have hundreds of songs right now.

One problem I see is that: they don't talk to fans, the approach should be more personal (fans love to feel close to the band, even if it's the staff who's posting). Like I've already said to Malahide, it would be great if they did a making of or a diary during this time in studio. Not necessarily a big thing but only to show to fans what they're doing or even this 'relaxing moment' in Mexico (they can do that preserving their privacy, it's all about the way you do). U2 should be the first to delivery news to the fans.

Maybe when the album wil be released things could be better... but I think they're wasting time while others artists are doing a great job. Bono was so worried about being 'relevant' but they forgot that nowadays it's a different world, it's not only about a good music... Internet has an important role as well marketing, etc. U2 need to be present again in our lives, they're so distant at this time.

• Subscriber

This reminds me of the hype around that 'almost a snippet of Ordinary Love'-Fiasco...What a bad joke !

And Tiesto, too. 

I can't understand why they don't want to talk about their work. I did myself blogs / social media for Brazilians artists... it's so important for the image of the band and to spread news.