Can U Pick Your Top 3 U2 Albums?

• Subscriber

I like to think that U2 has "periods" - the first was Post-Punk (Boy, October, War), the second "Classic" U2 (Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum), the third "Modern" U2 (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop), the fourth "Post-Modern" U2 (All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, No Line on the Horizon), the fifth "Post-Post-Modern" U2 (Songs of Innocence, . . .).  That being said (in no particular order):

1.  Boy - adventurous first album (seriously, who makes a thematic first album?)

2.  Unforgettable Fire - adventurous first-step with Eno and Lanois

3.  Achtung Baby - adventurous re-imagining of the band and what it could be

In terms of the Post-Modern - I really love How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (my wedding song is Original of the Species).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Selecting merely 3 is quite a challenge! For me they have 6 mind-blowing, groundbreaking releases in their discography and that's a remarkable achievement for a band... and in all fairness, I never grow weary of any of the other releases, not a clunker in the bunch. So basically, I can't pick a top 3 then can I? Well, I'll try anyway:

1. The Joshua Tree

2. Pop

3. Songs of Innocence (as someone mentioned above, it's a master class in songwriting, and a 'complete' musical experience from start to finish which I find particularly satisfying)