Do You Do This?

zoocat

• Subscriber

Aside from paying full price for most of my music collection over the last 30 years or so, and downloading a lot of stuff from the Itunes store, I rent music from my local library at around 2 dollars a pop, some of which goes into my itunes library, and then onto my ipod.

I suppose if I want to be fair to the artists, I should really pay full price through itunes or buy my cds allways at full price, and never rent music through my local city library.

Your thoughts please!

• Subscriber

A bit extreme, scared the shit outta me thats for sure, and actually music and such should be protected better really, I guess I would be pretty pissed off if some of my poems made someone else rich before me.

• Subscriber

Good question to ask, zoocat. I generally agree w/ what Chris (pain) said. I think there should be a balance between artists' rights and the wishes of the public.

Zoocat, the fact u ask shows u want to do the right thing, & I totally empathize w/ artists, but they've just had to adjust to the new realities of technology & its implications as technology has changed & let the genie out of the bottle, so to speak. I don't think tunes should be stolen for ipods, but I look at things like YouTube, if anything, as free advertisement for the artists!

I totally don't agree w/ this: "...I should really pay full price through itunes or buy my cds allways at full price, and never rent music through my local city library."

In fact, I'm surprised to see the word "rent" in association w/ libraries at all. I don't see an area of the world listed by your avatar, but in the U.S., libraries are supported through taxes. The entire purpose of libraries is to disseminate knowledge through society, to democratize & equalize access to it. And unfortunately, music education is often not available through public schools. Artists often come from the poorest of backgrounds. Pity the poor kid who has a natural passion for music, for ex, & is meant to enter the field of music but has no access to it.

• Subscriber

It's a delicate issue...While Raspazz's photo is very funny...Zoo Cat, you're right...But what happens to those who are poor but want to enjoy the beauty of music ?

Good question! I have been at home the last few years looking after the kids, and doing some self employed work on the side, which has basically generated bugger all money, but hey there are a lot of people far worse off than my family, but I have been able to get some stuff through my library here in Auckland, as well as some stuff elsewhere. Most of my music has been collected up untill a few years ago, but I am getting together stuff I lost at parties as a teenager etc, nearly there too, but now my computer won,t recognize cds anymore. I am running windows xp, Microsoft have ditched xp users now. there are a few sites offering update packages for a fee, but I think i will just wait untill I can afford a new desktop, as my 2002 Packard Bell has probably got a limited life now.

Packard Hell???

Kill it with fire. They FORCED me to learn how to build my first PC (and I haven't looked back) because they would not honor their warranty. I was happy when they died but some goon resurrected the company???

Necromancers...

*loads shotgun*