Beatle's Tree Killed By Beetles. Joshua, 1 Tree Hill Reminder.

• Subscriber

'The George Harrison' tree, which was planted in 2004 in Los Angeles in his memory, has been killed by beetles. (Yup.) Family members and special guests had been present when it was planted. The original sapling had grown to over 10 feet tall. A dedication plaque, which was in front of the tree, reads:

"In memory of a great humanitarian who touched the world as an artist, a musician and a gardener."

It also quotes George, an avid gardener, as saying: "For the forest to be green, each tree must be green."

It's making me think of the Joshua tree & the tree that used to be on 'One Tree Hill.' One zootope friend (pain_18_) reports that in his country, Romania, numerous 100 - 200 - 300 year-old trees are being cut down left & right without good enough reason! 'Natural causes' is one thing, but something like that - and what happened to the 'One Tree Hill' tree - is something else. Back when I read about what happened to the One Tree Hill tree (Maori activists apparently cut it down because it wasn't a native species - to protest government injustices), I had an idea that U2 fans should try to get it replanted in some way that native people would support. Then I thought - if it were replanted - and chopped down again - that would probably be even sadder. Well, I think the idea should stay alive anyways. Maybe someday!

http://www.cbsnews.c...yed-by-beetles/

5ccb9de0-11ad-11e4-acd4-1bce318bf2e2_200

(Credit Image: Chuck Green/ZUMAPRESS.com)

Edited by Alma1

There are lots of charities for planting trees.  There is an African one, I think it is called Trees for The Future, and over here in little old England we have The Woodland Trust.  You can have a tree dedicated to you or anyone else for that matter.  A tree in a wood is selected and this is dedicated to you.  You do not get a plaque on the tree you get a co-ordinate point of where your tree is.  This helps to preserve native woodlands.

It is a shame that trees have to be cut down as a protest.  That's like killing a human in protest, only if you chop a human down you should be done for murder. Trees are of more use to the planet than many humans because they produce oxygen, which we breathe, we provide carbon monoxide which they breathe. The network of veins inside human kidneys looks like a tree.  Our nervous system - looks like a tree. We need trees and they need us, although if we go they will still survive. If trees go we will be dust. So instead of sending Xmas cards you could dedicate a tree instead. xox

• Subscriber

I once helped save some green space and its trees where I live, which the city was talking about paving over. I had looked at possible alternate plans and spent two weekends 'pounding the pavement' gathering petition signatures with a neighbor. Communication with a local council-member did the rest.

We need a world where such simple acts of democracy are safe and do-able everywhere. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that ultimately our world depends on it.

• Subscriber

There are lots of charities for planting trees.  There is an African one, I think it is called Trees for The Future, and over here in little old England we have The Woodland Trust.  You can have a tree dedicated to you or anyone else for that matter.  A tree in a wood is selected and this is dedicated to you.  You do not get a plaque on the tree you get a co-ordinate point of where your tree is.  This helps to preserve native woodlands.

It is a shame that trees have to be cut down as a protest.  That's like killing a human in protest, only if you chop a human down you should be done for murder. Trees are of more use to the planet than many humans because they produce oxygen, which we breathe, we provide carbon monoxide which they breathe. The network of veins inside human kidneys looks like a tree.  Our nervous system - looks like a tree. We need trees and they need us, although if we go they will still survive. If trees go we will be dust. So instead of sending Xmas cards you could dedicate a tree instead. xox

Yes. The way I've put it sometimes is 'our inbreath is the outbreath of trees - and our outbreath is their inbreath.' :)

"...instead of sending Xmas cards you could dedicate a tree instead." I've been known to send birthday cards w/ beautiful photos of trees letting a person know I got a tree planted in honor of their birthday - and raising awareness of such things.

An organization we have in America is 'The Arbor Day Foundation.' They work w/community leaders to teach (& help with) sustainable forestry practices, etc. The last time I checked, a $10 membership fee also got 10 tree saplings of your choice delivered to you!

• Subscriber

I once helped save some green space and its trees where I live, which the city was talking about paving over. I had looked at possible alternate plans and spent two weekends 'pounding the pavement' gathering petition signatures with a neighbor. Communication with a local council-member did the rest.

We need a world where such simple acts of democracy are safe and do-able everywhere. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that ultimately our world depends on it.

I want that simple level of democracy for my brothers & sisters in Spain. And Romania. And Worldwide.

As bad as things have gotten w/America's government being money-corrupted & more like an oligarchy than a democracy now, we still have a lot to be thankful for.