U2 Collectors Website

Nick2

• Subscriber

anyone see this new collectors site link removed by moderator you can create an account add items (discography, tickets, posters, etc..) to your collection or wishlist. wow this is way better than my excel spreadsheet. hey and the best part is its free.

• Community Manager

Not familiar with this site, would need the owner to get in touch so it can be verified and linked to - there are many fake sites out there that exist to collect your data, (some good, some not so good...) so I would advise to err on the side of caution and check out thoroughly before signing up to this kind of thing.
Saying that, if its legit and someone from the site does get in touch, then we can verify.

• Subscriber

It's newly posted about in the atu2 forums as well. Is there any reason fans couldn't do the same thing here? I realize it's a bity duplicative of what is on some other sites currently. But, basically thread a more complete discography than the site's own discography? Maybe with some feedback from above to weed out fake items, which seem to become more and more prevalent with each album release on ebay, etc. (I'm sure taht's not likely, but just tossing it out there)?

• Subscriber

It's newly posted about in the atu2 forums as well. Is there any reason fans couldn't do the same thing here? I realize it's a bity duplicative of what is on some other sites currently. But, basically thread a more complete discography than the site's own discography? Maybe with some feedback from above to weed out fake items, which seem to become more and more prevalent with each album release on ebay, etc. (I'm sure taht's not likely, but just tossing it out there)?

Get on u2 collectormania on FB, most u2 collectors are there and they know their stuff. Interested about the site you mentioned, I'm gonna look it up

Edited by utwothefly

• Subscriber

Patrice Bruhat's discography site has been around since the 90s  - should come up on the first page of a "U2 discography" search. Believe it's a French site. Aaron's U2 Wanderer site is good as well, both in it's formal discography and the forum discussion. Don't know about the FB group - I pretty much avoid U2 stuff on FB, and I'm generally just anti- the fragmentation and "fan hierarchy" crap that escalated in the late 90s that keeps pointlessly splitting things into smaller groups. In terms of websites, it was reasonable for the online community to develop U2 fan sites pre-official presence, now that evolution is largely over and there are 2 or 3 independent sites that have value (Aaron's, atu2,...), but there's no reason (unless the band opposes it, or there are bandwidth issues, etc.) that the clunky housekeeping aspects of things like "more complete discographies" can't be managed by fans in the most prominent central hub there is for the band (u2.com) to supplement what is already provided here. I mean, if part of fandom is this need to be an -ologist and have a perfect reference, when you are in the library (other than for less heft) do you want to muck about with all the different dictionaries, or do you go to the OED? You might want to use them because language is regional and evolves and they honestly might capture something that wouldn't otherwise be observed in the making of the OED, but a discography is physical objects that don't change, and addressing regional differences by uniting observers from different locations is a more surmountable problem. Especially with the global reach of this website. Maybe the band would reject that - artists do seem to get turned off by being indexed, catalogued, pored over, studied, defined, pinned down on detail or aspects of the past, even if they've built their product/art to draw partly on such things to pull audience. If you kill the mystery, you kill the art, but there's a serious limit to the "mystery" of a discography or to mystery's part in its draw.