U2 Shooting Video At Riviera Studios In Nice

• Subscriber

The French newspaper Nice-Matin has a report out today with details from a visit to Rivera Studios in Nice, where it says U2 has been shooting a video since Tuesday.

Here's the original article in French, and here's a link to the Google translation. I'll highlight some of the English phrases from that translation:

• "dozens of trucks filled with music equipment and spotlights"
  • "huge platform raised in the heart of Studio 1"
  • "surreal deployment of security personnel [with] British accents"
  • "they [u2] arrived here around 11am on Tuesday"

The article also mentions restrictions about using mobile phones and one studio employee comparing the scene to a visit by President Obama for the G20 (in 2011). It also says that a caterer is due to be on site through August 18.

As a reminder, a French video company tweeted earlier this week that it was in Nice for a video shoot with U2. So I think we can say this is definitely happening. (Thx to @q2be__ for the tip on Twitter.)

Next year's going to be tricky. JAMES released their new album 'La Petite Mort" this year and may be going back to North America in 2014. Hawaii's starting to bring in bands again since Republik is the best club now. 'National' and 'Naked and Famous' could return here next year. Plus I will probably be shooting local gigs as a professional. There's also CitizenCon 2015. Hmm...balance will be interesting.

Dear U2, can I get a photo pass?

signed,

INCA

:)

Edited by Sigma957
  • Subscriber

Next year's going to be tricky. JAMES released their new album 'La Petite Mort" this year and may be going back to North America in 2014. Hawaii's starting to bring in bands again since Republik is the best club now. 'National' and 'Naked and Famous' could return here next year. Plus I will probably be shooting local gigs as a professional. There's also CitizenCon 2015. Hmm...balance will be interesting.

Dear U2, can I get a photo pass?

signed,

INCA

:)

The National are wrapping up the Trouble Will Find Me tour in London this November, so I doubt it. 

Anyway, this is great news! Some indication that the album will be announced soon!

• Subscriber

Read this story on Facebook from U2 en España - El libro 

Finally back home I can share with you all our story in the South of France.I will try to summarize the highlights:

- The band has been recording in the Riviera Studios virtually all week that ends today. Speaking with security members they had even lost track of time after such a long sessions. If we think of the Twitt that appeared on Tuesday and referring to Monday, I understand that the guys have been since Monday 11th until Friday 15th at least. That's only my guess, but it is sure that they have been there on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It seems that have already finished.

- Our meeting took place on Thursday 14 after many hours waiting. Only the 2 of us in the morning and joined in the afternoon by an Italian couple and a French couple with their two sons.

- Security came out occasionally to say that we did nothing there and that U2 were not in the Studios. Ridiculous attempts to make us go when we had already seen Dennis Sheehan, Sharon Blankson, Brian Murphy (Bono's bodyguard), the car used by Bono at Cannes Lions with the same driver and even two members of the band at the wheel of their own cars.

- About 23:30 Larry Mullen leaves at the wheel of a BMW ignoring we all.

- About 00:00 hours two vehicles come to the entrance of the Studios. The first is a beautiful black Bentley and Adam Clayton at the wheel. He gets off the car and ask us to leave some space for the second car to leave. I hand him a copy of "U2 in Spain" and tell him about the book. Suddenly The Edge gets off the second vehicle and shakes hands hands with we all. The 2 of them spend a few minutes with us. for autographs and pictures. Adam says goodbye and leaves while we ask The Edge about the album and if they have finally finished it. The answer is as always ... short and not concise .... "Almost finished".

- It's almost 1:30 when an Audi Q5 stops. That's Bono's car, who gets off and shakes hands also with us. Photos and signatures for everyone. While signing a photo of himself with the book "U2 en España" says he liked it and he had been looking at it the day we gave him a copy in Cannes (June 20th). I mention that it is "unfortunately" in Spanish and he answers: "You know I speak spanish very well .... 1,2,3, ..... 14".

- With the band out we talk to Brian Murphy When are you going to tour? "Very very soon" .... emphasizing the VERY. We say that the rumors say April in USA and he smiles saying "Not bad". We asked him about the new songs and says that we will like them very much. That we should not expect something like Invisible and although it is clearly different they have the sound to U2. Please take this as it is...just comments from someone very close to the band that are nor confirming neither denying anything).

- Friday morning.... Breakfast in a shopping center and we find Julian Lennon, son of the late Beatle and very close to Bono. We talked to him. We tell him we had been with Bono the day before. He asked if it had been at the "recording studio". We replied at the Riviera and their answer is "I think they are shooting an Apple commercial." Again this is just assumptions but we might think : 1) The group is or has been finishing the album in a study in southern France. 2) A new partnership with Apple is confirmed.

- Not confirmed at all but it seems obvious that if they spent all this time at Riviera Studios they had to time to shoot something more than a simple commercial.

- On Friday 15th we go to the studio at 22:30. There are 3 Italians, two of them waiting from 6 in the morning. Finally they were able to meet Bono just a few minutes before our arrival. The rest of the band left but did not stop.

I think that's all. It seems we will have to wait very little.