Falsetto Vs Tenor

Rhi_K

• Subscriber

Apologies if this has been talked about before, I had a quick browse and couldn't see anything.

Last Year the anniversary of Zoo TV kick started a bit of a binge for me (still yet to subside to non-obsessional levels), one night I watched Zoo TV and 360 back to back and it got me thinking about the trade off between the loss of Bono's falsetto and his gaining his true tenor voice after the death of his father.

The falsetto brought music to us we may not have had otherwise (ie Lemon) and added new dimensions to their sound, his highs now may not be as crisp but they are natural and feel a little warmer.

So we are on the cusp (hopefully!) of a new album, 5 years on from NLOTH, naturally his voice has changed again, I say changed and not degraded because I feel like he manages to put his new voice to the old material without losing something in the process (despite his voice during the AB, Zooropa period making me melt every time! :wub: ). What is your take on Falsetto vs Tenor, would you trade back if you could, just to see a performance of Lemon, Sydneys Satellite Of love or THAT moment during I Can't Help Falling In Love one more time? 

Edited by Rhi_K

Tenor is better. Tenor is your natural range if you are male. Falsetto is something you have to think about when you're doing it or you will crack. Sometime Bono sounds like he ate too many crackers and has no water to wash it down when he hits those high falsettos. He cracks. It happened during 360 sometimes. I wish he would refine his tenor voice. And Edge should really keep practicing playing the tuba. I want to hear some fresh sounds not provided by the "underworld".

;)

His duet with Maoire Brennan of Clannad on 'In A Lifetime' (it's a picture disc!) is one of his most extraordinary efforts.

PS Hawaii has the best falsettoists on the planet.

Edited by Sigma957

• Subscriber

Too many crackers! haha good description there!

That is what got me thinking about it in the first place, he would have those beautiful moments where it was all natural and could sing like a bird, then you would here a faltering falsetto and almost wish he hadn't tried. I know what you mean about In a Lifetime, just a wonderful sound, it is in there and if we could only see it more often, he once said "There is something about a guy that sings like a chick" and he is right, his range is an integral part of that unmistakable U2 sound.

However...if a genie walks into my life, my first wish would be to see Lemon performed in it's original glory, I was only 5 and 6 during the Zoo TV days, so sadly it is probably a song I missed the boat on forever, it isn't my absolute favourite U2 track, but it is up there in my most played list

• Subscriber

Oh and tuba?? did I miss something there??

Speaking of Edge sounds and tenors, his voice fascinates me, when he does his section in Stuck in a Moment I am always struck by how unvelievably Celtish he sounds and I wonder if he has to work for that or if it's just natural

Edited by Rhi_K

I think the Edge's is just natural. He always could do those backing vocals, as far back as 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Alone In the Light were concerned. Bono once remarked that Edge was learning to play the tuba. I believe this was after POPmart and before All That You Can't Leave Behind. My memory is faulty though. But I didn't dream it.

Regarding 'Lemon', I used to not care for that song until I saw it on the rebroadcast of ZooTV Live From Sydney (night 2). Live it just came alive. I appreciate the song now, particularly the clever use of imagery in the lyrics.

Edited by Sigma957

• Subscriber

Aaah yes now that you mention it, it does ring a bell, I couldn't tell you when it was either.

Yes that is exactly what happened to me, I always found it to be a lyrically interesting song, a song you can see as you listen, I know they are very good at what is the term they use?? the cinema of music, was that it? I'm sure i heard them use it on the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD. Anyway, that visual stuff, but something about Lemon drew me, then I saw it on Sydney and never looked back.

But this is somthing I find with an awful lot of their music, my response to a song may be luke warm, not hating it, but not loving it either (hard to hate any U2 song mind), but then I see it live and it becomes something more...Beautiful day, City of Blinding Lights, they were a couple of those for me and other songs I loved anyway but saw them live and the studio version lost something for me, Ultraviolet and Streets are examples here.

Some songs really grow for me in the moment when they are being expressed in response to the band/audience relationship, but I think they know this, I'm sure they have commented before that sometimes they write something and don't really understand what it is until they perform it live, I think when you write songs from such a personal place, whatever the subject matter, they can so easily be enhanced by the soul that comes with atmosphere created between open, intelligent performers and their audience.

• Subscriber

I know what you are saying about the live performances, that's why U22 blew me away- it captured something. For example, I was very lukewarm (as you put it) about Beautiful Day until I heard the U22 version- (oh beautiful, oh sweet freedom) that really took it to another level. Also Moment of Surrender and One are particularly special, and of course Streets sounds amazing live, and my all time favourites Bad and Love Rescue Me......

Although its great to watch the concert videos, in a family home, i find people aren't going to tolerate repeat showings, also I have a tendency to well up, which is a bit embarrassing!

So U22 is a Godsend :lol:

• Subscriber

I know what you are saying about the live performances, that's why U22 blew me away- it captured something. For example, I was very lukewarm (as you put it) about Beautiful Day until I heard the U22 version- (oh beautiful, oh sweet freedom) that really took it to another level. Also Moment of Surrender and One are particularly special, and of course Streets sounds amazing live, and my all time favourites Bad and Love Rescue Me......

Although its great to watch the concert videos, in a family home, i find people aren't going to tolerate repeat showings, also I have a tendency to well up, which is a bit embarrassing!

So U22 is a Godsend :lol:

Oh I so so so wish I had sub'd for U22, I am desperate to hear this and I'm starting to wonder if I ever will  :(

You are obviously a far more considerate person than I, I am a little relentless with concert DVD's, though I do often wait until the other half goes to bed to indulge myself, he doesn't dislike them, but he doesn't have crazy love like I do, at least the kids enjoy it with me.

I use my IPod if it's been getting a little OTT.

I totally get what you mean about welling up, the first time I saw Slane Castle I pretty much cried most of the way through, I'm a sucker for raw emotion and we all know what a U2 gig does to you! I've given up on the embarrasment, I can't sing but when U2 is on I sing to the rafters and when I watch them my heart sings, I can't help it, the way I see it, it's good for the soul :)