Rate Songs Of Innocence

utwothefly

• Subscriber

I think I'm giving it a 9/10 too, because I cannot list my favourites right now, I've had 5 listens and every time I do the songs grow and each one makes me feel something very strong, which doesn't usually happen to me until I have strong personal experiences attached to them or at the very least have had time to fully understand them.  For me it does work as a whole album, the spirit is really defineable, there is certainly an eclectic nature to it but to me that speaks volumes about what the album is and where it is coming from, very representetive of the historical nature of the band. A big achievment in my book

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

9/10

Definitely not replacing any of my previous top album choices, but I really enjoyed this album. "The Miracle" and "Every Breaking Wave" are definitely my favourites, the former is just a good rock song to me and the latter is one I've been waiting for. I also like "Raised by Wolves", "Volcano", and "The Troubles" a lot. "Iris" isn't bad either, the other ones I'm eh about so far but after giving them a few more listens I'll probably think they're the best thing ever lol.

• Subscriber

Think I might be in the minority here!

It's good but nothing special I really like EBW and a couple others, it's not bad by any stretch just maybe not my cup of tea I think I preferred the Invisible vibe/sound they initially seemed to be taking.

Not too sure it's the album U2 really wanted to do, I can't see them getting that hit single out of this that they have been desperately searching for after NLOTH. Once the launch hype dies down I think it will fade away very quickly from the public eye which is a shame after such a long wait, I was hoping they could finally get a radio hit and an album they were happy to play on tour but by the time the tour starts the album will be forgotten about by most and we're probably back to greatest hits setlist.

You can all start shouting at me now :P

• Subscriber

Think I might be in the minority here!

It's good but nothing special I really like EBW and a couple others, it's not bad by any stretch just maybe not my cup of tea I think I preferred the Invisible vibe/sound they initially seemed to be taking.

Not too sure it's the album U2 really wanted to do, I can't see them getting that hit single out of this that they have been desperately searching for after NLOTH. Once the launch hype dies down I think it will fade away very quickly from the public eye which is a shame after such a long wait, I was hoping they could finally get a radio hit and an album they were happy to play on tour but by the time the tour starts the album will be forgotten about by most and we're probably back to greatest hits setlist.

You can all start shouting at me now :P

This was why it didn't get a 10 from me, I do love the whole album, I do think it's great, but I do have reservations about how it will stand up in the long term, it's still early days for us all, so it's hard to tell. I actually feel like there could be some hits in there for the UK market if they choose the singles carfully, but I'm really not sure if it has anything timeless in there (I need a few more listens I think), I try to imagine what would happen if some of the big older albums were released now, to me certainly JT and AB stand up, but do they stand up to the current consumer majority? I'm not so sure.

Now that I think about it I don't know if I could offer an objective opinion, I love U2 and I always will, even if they take a complete nose dive into obscurity, to many beautiful waters under the bridge for me and they will stay with me forever. To aptly quote "there is no end to love", it is out of the hands of the core fan base and over to the fickle mainstream