Is the album "great"?  

816 members have voted

1. 1. vote here!

• yes Great!
    • Good
    • Average
    • no, don't like it

• Subscriber

Is this what washed up rock bands with more money than skill do when they can't sell records ... Try and latch onto the oat tails of a true rock band like the ramones?

No. This is what groups in an increasingly shrinking economic market do when they are trying to win back business for the entire industry. Or, one could say this is what groups do in order to come up with new ways of selling music -- for all artists out there. No one gave Beyonce, Jay Z, or Radiohead the sort of flak U2 has attracted when they made similar free releases.

U2 talk about how the ramones helped them to get started in music. What a load of crap!

Actually, it's not. U2 have talked about sneaking into a Ramones show for years and how The Ramones inspired them. This is the first time they've written a song about it.

Just because you can afford to buy the rights to use joey in your music video, doesn't make it right. Shame on you! You should have more respect for the dead.

Seeing as no one that knew The Ramones has criticized U2 for the tribute to Joey Ramone, perhaps those taking/throwing up Internet arms against U2 for their song can find better and more constructive things to do with their time?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Well said MJG3 :)

Pinhead,

It's all very well laying into U2 as is the fashion to react to them whenever they do anything but if you're gonna come into their fan site (for whatever reason known perhaps not even to you) with your reactionary views then at least do yourself the favour of getting the basic facts rights, even with a quick look you, would have found this:

Mickey Leigh, Joey's Brother:  'I’m not sure grateful is the right word, but awestruck is a better description... 
'...it’s so beautiful. I loved it. It’s Bono’s interpretation and his spirit, but it also captures Joey’s spirit. He described my brother’s spirit well. I think he got just what Joey would have wanted out of it.'

Marky Ramone, Longtime Ramones Drummer: 'I’m very grateful U2 wrote a song about my former friend and bandmate Joey Ramone. Joey would have been honored. It is well-deserved.'

Jesse Malin, Friend of Joey: 'The thing I respect about U2 beyond this song is how they’re giving a shout-out to Joey as their inspiration. They’re not on a bandwagon of ‘now we’ll be into the Ramones because they’re dead.’ He [Joey] got to feel the love and respect from them and this song is coming from truly the right place and I totally back it after seeing how they were with him.'

• Subscriber

1st of all....the release was a brilliant marketing move.

the album is top notch in my opinion...well worth the wait. The Troubles is maybe one of the best songs I have ever heard. Other standouts for me are Volcaano, TIWYCRMN, California, Song for Someone ( every bit as good as WOWY), raised by wolves , and sleep like a baby. The rest of the songs are also very good...nothing to skip for me. Everyone is at the top of their game here and it all comes together collectively.......

Great!  There isn't a track I dislike or think is weak.   I have listened to the album about 20 times and then compared it to what I had been listening to on satellite, internet and FM radio (AAA format).   I find the new U2 music grabs my attention.  I agree with BigBunny - sounds like Boy, Pop and a bunch of other U2 works.  Musically, it seems a blend of everything that has gone before.    

• Subscriber

It's like Bono said... what is great?! When are you capable of greatness? It is good, but U2 albums grow in time, so this one might achieve greatness, but it's too early to decide for me right now. My moments of the album are: Every breaking wave, Sleep like a baby tonight and The trouble.

• Subscriber

It's like Bono said... what is great?! When are you capable of greatness? It is good, but U2 albums grow in time, so this one might achieve greatness, but it's too early to decide for me right now. My moments of the album are: Every breaking wave, Sleep like a baby tonight and The trouble.

I agree, I haven't voted because its too soon....

I think the most interesting reactions will be from young people who have found it in their account and don't have any preconceived ideas about U2.

As a U2 lover (or hater) its really hard, I think, to listen with unprejudiced ears.

For example, I want to love it, and also I can't help comparing with what has gone before....

Try as I might I can't be objective, I think that's why it will take a few months to decide. (v. good or great)