• yes Great!
    • Good
    • Average
    • no, don't like it

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I love about this album is that you can hear the band's influences, and their yearning to pay homage. This album is like "throwback" U2, in that it feels and sounds raw and very much like the early stuff. I like that this is a bare bones album and seems geared to the true fan. It's honest in most places and never once is out to be anything than what it truly is. This is an ideal album from U2 at a time in their career when truth is never in short supply and is so desperately needed. No Line On The Horizon was the previous decade's October. I dare to say that Songs of Innocence is this decade's The Unforgettable Fire.

Best Album for 21 years... since Zooropa. Usually it takes me about 6 listens to "get it"... however from the opening rift of Miracle I was hooked. Everytime I play it I have a new favourite. Maybe not as great as AB or JT but in my opinion I think this is best from them for a while.

Well done gents and looking forward to the tour next year... and Songs of Experience ( prediction-February release??)

• Subscriber

This album is top shelf.  I think because it is stripped of flash and flash and heavy tech, people (post-360) are scratching their heads a bit.  Nobody who does the U2 math (a reinvention every 3 albums) expected an album like this.   It is pure and has no throwaways whatsoever.  I actually really loved NLOTH - Breathe and Magnificent are among the best of their catalogue, but there are a couple turds on there.     I have a hard time getting into California, but thats pretty much it.  I had a hard time for the first couple months with Wild Horses 22 years ago....   SOLID SOLID work.   I think they are going to blow peoples minds with Songs of Experience.  The title alone creates expectations of greatness.

Edited by wishchris

• Subscriber

I think there are great verses, refrains or bridges, but never within in the same song...Stand-out-songs are...Cedarwood Road, Raised By Volwes and The Troubles. By the way, I loved the way the album was released...loved the surprise. 

• Subscriber

Vibrant album that sonically has a bit of everything that came before and brings it to another mature level; it is very satisfying in a lot of ways.  Eg. Like a metamorphosis of Tomorrow into Sleep Like a Baby Tonight; With or Without You to Every Breaking Wave, Wire to This is Where You Can Reach Me Now. One day I want to make a mix that pairs the songs together on feel and sound-it will be my ultimate concert set list =)

• Subscriber

Hey, all! Haven't posted in a while, but I feel like the time to re-engage a bit has arrived. For me, SOI started out as a good album, but has moved to very good. There are tracks that are sticking in my head more so than on the past couple of records. Every Breaking Wave is coming to me at an important time, where defeat is too easy to allow, but must not happen (I'm writing a thesis). Volcano got me supercharged at the first listen. The last three tracks are probably the best album closing troika since AB. TIWYCRMN is sticking very well. SLABT is first Zoo type song in a long time-that mix of dark with splashes of light, rather than the opposite of the past 14 years. The Troubles is very moving. California is the only track I can't get into. It would be an excellent B-side but somehow just doesn't quite work for me. 

• Subscriber

Great album every breaking wave, song for someone, volcano and trouble I absolutely love. I feel like the album incorporates sounds from boy right through to NLOTH. It incorporates some new sounds without straying away from the classic sounds of U2. 

All i can say now is I cant wait for the tour