• Good
    • Average
    • no, don't like it

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

SOI doesn't hold up against U2's 90's work....that's clear...None of U2's 00's work does that...Which is pretty painful...Hoping Songs of Experience will be Other-Worldly....And I'm still hoping for Songs of Ascent....I'd really want to hear the Eno/Lanois sessions they did for it....Maybe some day...I can dream !

And I must say Glastonbury is way better than Volcano. If they had only put Glastonbury instead of it on the record...,..Sigh. Instead of using the main riff at the end of Volcano...It's not even loud....There's Not Enough Edge, We need more guitar !!! ..... There's Definitely not enough Larry...If there's One album that's Unfinished (in the bad way)...then that's SOI.

But I'm taking it for what it is...This is where U2 are right now....It's way better than Behind and Bomb.

I'm seconding Paul HeyWorth by saying that this album has, indeed, U2's worst song on it, but for me it's on disc 2 and it's the song called Invisible ...I'm not going to say more as I've already got a warning point for it...It does sound better on CD though...

On the Great Side...I consider This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now...One of U2's Greatest Songs ! It's my favourite off the SOI album !

This being said...it could've been much, much worse ! That's why I voted Great ...It's Great at this Present Moment....Great if You don't compare it. If you start comparing it then you won't like it that much...And Why Not Stay with the I LIKE it-Feeling?

Edited by pain_18_
  • Subscriber

This is a very solid U2 album...A balance between current sound and throwback to their roots...Love the Acoustic Sessions as well...Song for Someone is my favorite...They change their sound from album to album which to me is what makes them great...Raised by Wolves is awesome as well...Every Breaking Wave is terrific (great song)...The cover is a little strange but who cares...

Edited by hope3702

I disagre with you "Numb" the acoustic version of every breaking wave is TERRIBLE ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

that songs is so american so empty,

the best song is "Lucifer's Hands" and it is not even in thealbum that reflects how low these guys have gone..

empty songs ... I hate the acoustic versions.. so boring...and with a Classic Strings.. the only way to save the song...

and that trick is so OLD ¡¡¡¡ only piano and vocals then the drums with bass ¡¡!! jajaja a very old trick to make you feel good for a second.. it is a TRICK.. a music arragment trick..and old boring trick... U2 is over and not even over U2 is LOST.... it is sad to see a band that ONes was So Good ¡ and used to push the music foward and blow the world to a new direction Ending like this..

sad sad for them.. anyway my friends.. at least I know What Not to DO when I get old making music.. and That is not to end like these guys..¡¡

Edited by GeorgeZambra
  • Subscriber

If you've be a fan of this band from almost the beginning, you would have known after a few listen's( and not reading one review ) of the new album that this music was about them..I have to say that this is a fan's album..truly a great one at that !! Let's enjoy..

I voted great because it went directly to my heart at first listening. Love Every breaking wave, Cedarwood road, The Troubles, Sleep like a baby... and Iris (even if I wouldn't have put the bridge "something in your eyes...." 'cos for me it cuts the energy of the song...). That's an album I can listen to everyday without being bored. And FINALLY there are acoustic versions!!! I was thrilled to hear them and I do agree: "Every breaking wave" in acoustic is far more powerful this way. I wish U2 put strings and piano in most of their live arrangements!!

SOI is a great album. Personal, moving, full of energy.

For me, it's the little brother of "War", "October" and "All that you can't leave behind" with a slight piece of "Pop": nice recipe:)!

"No line..." was already big, so special that it can't be compared to any of their previous works. SOI will be remembered for sure.

• Subscriber

I voted great because it went directly to my heart at first listening. Love Every breaking wave, Cedarwood road, The Troubles, Sleep like a baby... and Iris (even if I wouldn't have put the bridge "something in your eyes...." 'cos for me it cuts the energy of the song...). That's an album I can listen to everyday without being bored. And FINALLY there are acoustic versions!!! I was thrilled to hear them and I do agree: "Every breaking wave" in acoustic is far more powerful this way. I wish U2 put strings and piano in most of their live arrangements!!

SOI is a great album. Personal, moving, full of energy.

For me, it's the little brother of "War", "October" and "All that you can't leave behind" with a slight piece of "Pop": nice recipe:)!

"No line..." was already big, so special that it can't be compared to any of their previous works. SOI will be remembered for sure.

SOI is a great album !!!!!! I loved it from the first listen too !!!!

• Subscriber

I think the point is that U2 are capable of such a variety of different songs and styles that different things appeal to different people.

I agree with Pain, that NLOTH is epic, and I like the experimental/ Eno type stuff the best.

But there are songs that suit different moods, if you want to be uplifted, or rocked out, or want to dance, or if you're feeling melancholic, it's all there.

There is only a handful of songs in their whole catalogue that I might skip, but no doubt there's someone out there who probably loves those same songs.

For me there's no other band that comes close, who's songs speak so personally to me, that really touch my soul, and that's the magic B)

• Subscriber

I think the point is that U2 are capable of such a variety of different songs and styles that different things appeal to different people.

I agree with Pain, that NLOTH is epic, and I like the experimental/ Eno type stuff the best.

But there are songs that suit different moods, if you want to be uplifted, or rocked out, or want to dance, or if you're feeling melancholic, it's all there.

There is only a handful of songs in their whole catalogue that I might skip, but no doubt there's someone out there who probably loves those same songs.

For me there's no other band that comes close, who's songs speak so personally to me, that really touch my soul, and that's the magic B)

I totally Agree....This album is Great...

I don't feel the need to skip any song !!! It's Extremely cohesive....It has the spirit of the album running through the songs from the first track to the last one !!!!