Reviews From The Independent, Guardian, Nme

• Subscriber
  • Subscriber

NME one is exactly the same as a few others (Montreal Gazette's blogger, New Yorker's blogger, Washington Post's blogger) - some even directly confessing to hating U2 and then proceeding to rip on them for the space of their column, in other words trying to use their position as one of authority (as if) to vent their bias and dump on the band, while ignoring their job of reviewing the album in a fashion that helps the public decide whether to buy it, or in this case listen to it. Remember at least one reviewer losing their job for making such a mistake in the past, and as a member of the public who relies in part on such reviews, no problem with the same happening to any of these, especially since they lack any credibility to fall back on.

2nd observation - how short & rushed the reviews in general are. I'd expect if there are longer ones they may be in the Sunday papers this week.

Thanks for the links.

• Subscriber

Thanks for the links. Having read the articles from people who obviously couldn't write a decent review if their lives depended on it I'm DELIGHTED to say my favourite tracks (Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road) are the ones they seem to hate the most

• Subscriber

Most of the "reviews" out there are just someone dumping on U2 with scant thought given to the actual music. Since the album was a surprise I'm sure many places didn't get time to do a proper review per se, but a lot of the reviews I've read are garbage. Many aren't analyzing the songs, lyrics, etc.

Rolling Stone gave it 5/5, which I think is a bit preposterous (3.5/5 for me), but at least the review had more to say than "U2 are old farts and Apple sucks". Metacritic is hovering in the 70s.

I know the internet exploded with a lot of backlash about how the album was presented to people (that good old internet past time of complaining about everything like the world cares). Apparently depending on your iTunes settings it could have been in the iCloud (requiring you to knowingly add it to your iTunes library) or have downloaded automatically. I can see how if you have your settings in such a way that the album automatically downloaded you could be upset. This part I fault with Apple and not with U2, but of course many focus their venom on U2, which is sad. I give them props on the free album and trying something new, but I think Apple could have done a better job presenting it in a less "intrusive" way to those who may not like U2.

• Subscriber

I think if you're making a venomous argument over privacy when a band gives you a free album, your prioritization of relevant privacy issues is more than a bit off ;)

2nd, if there were only 200,000 downloads in the first day, I'm going to guess that's mostly fans actively downloading, rather than hordes of people prepared to hate.

Posted · Hidden by Max Tsukino, September 12, 2014 - repeated post in several threads
Hidden by Max Tsukino, September 12, 2014 - repeated post in several threads

On Songs of Innocence, U2 confirm that they are no longer relevant! The sounds on this album are the sounds of the 70s and for lyrical inspiration, Bono has to go back to the past. Bono has been saying for a while now that if U2 put out two dud albums in a row - they will hang up their guitars (so to speak). The time has arrived boys! Thanks for the memories, but you've lost your way. You might have some of the critics fooled momentarily, but the rest of us think the last two albums have been rubbish. Songs of Innocence? Songs of Desperation! I've been with you on the journey since the Joshua Tree and have survived some challenges (No Line on the Horizon for example), but never, ever have I felt like turning my back on a U2 album so quickly. The Apple thing was a big mistake too - now we have the rest of our non-U2 fans angry because they have your album in their iTunes library unwanted and they direct their frustration at those of us who have traditionally been fans.