Guy Oseary - Look What He Has Done In Just 7 Months On The Job.

morrisdemayo

• Subscriber

U2 fans are not used to headlines like "U2 iTunes stunt destroys 30 years of legacy" or "Has rock'n'roll finally sold out with U2's Apple stunt". This is  what happens when you get a manager who uses gimmicks to promote his clients. That is what Guy Oseary is all about; cheap gimmicks. Just asked Alanis Morissette or Madonna. Both of them are living their twilight years in a state where everyone is either sick of them or feeling sorry for them. Do you really think Paul McGuiness would allow U2 to perform cheap stunts to get people to listen to their music? Or get U2  to change producers six or seven times in order to complete an album that will satisfy record executives? The answer is no. Like most of us U2 fans, this is a side of U2 we thought we would never see. How in the hell did Larry Mullen Jr. get talked in to letting his band get mismanaged by Guy Oseary,  who many here in Hollywood are calling him "The Don King of rock & Roll" behind his back. Please Larry, get rid of Guy Oseary. Look what he has accomplished for U2 in just seven months on the job. It is only going to get worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Community Moderator

Who's to say that it's just him?  I love the band, I love the new album, but there is one thing that has really bugged me about recent interviews with Bono about the stunt.  For years, he has thanked the fans for giving them a great life; but when talking about the album drop, he never mentions the fans, it's been about getting it into as many ears as possible.

• Subscriber

I don't think they ever forget their fans, not really, just think at the moment with the self-doubt they seemed to have had about 'relevance' etc (I know, yawn) that their immediate priority was to get it heard by as many as possible and hit the download market head on, after so long away that may have been a bit of a daunting and perhaps overrriding factor. They will always be appreciative of their true fans, it's just who they are :)

Think Guy oh-so-serious has mixed it up a bit and if Uncle Mac was concerned I'm sure he'd voice it in private and remain a mentor of sorts.

One thing I've learnt about U2 is they kinda know what they're doing even if they're not sure about it, they usually get it right in the end!

But they better not turn up on X Factor.... :huh:

• Subscriber

X Factor? Really? I hope not. If they are going to go that route go with The Voice. 

I think they definitely appreciate the fans. It's nice to hear yes but he doesn't need to say it with every interview he has. I would imagine they very much appreciate all of their fans and are just looking to make some new ones. Who can blame them. 

RE Guy O, I like what has happened since he's been on the job. No leaks or any of the usual stuff which has happened in the past. Just a big massive album drop befitting U2. I have absolutely no complaints. Keep on, keepin' on.... Looking forward to what's next.  B)

• Community Moderator

Yeah, I know they still appreciate their fans.  That may not have come out sounding the way I meant.  It just bugs me sometimes that it seems like they try too hard to make people like them.  Again, don't get me wrong, I LOVED the way they dropped the album.  I thought it was brilliant.  As for Guy O, I really don't think U2 is going to do anything that he wants them to unless they want to.  Did that come out right?

• Subscriber

Yeah, I know they still appreciate their fans.  That may not have come out sounding the way I meant.  It just bugs me sometimes that it seems like they try too hard to make people like them.  Again, don't get me wrong, I LOVED the way they dropped the album.  I thought it was brilliant.  As for Guy O, I really don't think U2 is going to do anything that he wants them to unless they want to.  Did that come out right?

It came out fine. Nah, definitely they won't do anything they dont want but i am liking how things are going so far. Whoever's influenced it, my guesss is Guy, kudos.

As for the band, i think its good they care what people think and about putting out good music. If they started not caring, that would not be good at all. I think they did phenomenally well with this album. They can attribut it to giving a @$!# ya know. ;)