Bagger in the press

Malahide

• Subscriber

The amount of bagger I read about Songs of Innocence is unbelievable. Even in my favorite magazine it merely gets 1,5 points out of 5.

Every Breaking Wave (a superb song) for instance and California (although not my favorite) are ridiculised and Raised By Wolves compared to something of A-Ha (!).

Song for Someone isn't even mentioned.

The guy who wrote it says U2 "doesn't feel" what it plays or sings and has "no soul" on this record.

Three good songs (Cedarwood Road, The Troubles and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight)) and eight that are superfluous, is his verdict. 

I wrote him a mail to protest. He answered he listened at least ten times to the record before writing and that it's just a personal opinion.

• Subscriber

Granted, any album review IS ultimately just the reviewer's personal opinion. But I think there are an awful lot of reviewers out there who are biased against U2, for whatever reason, and are going to diss ANYTHING they put out.

• Subscriber

I've avoided all press, I did read the rolling stone and Irish Times articles because they were linked here, but I haven't bothered otherwise, I love the album, that's all I'm going to worry about, I get fed up of the real scorn some poeple show toward them, simply because it is usually not an opinion based on the music, but on their's or Bono's image and I don't feel an opinion based on someones image has any validity whatsoever, and then there are the trolls who know it is so easy to cause a stir and get a reaction because as a breed us U2 fans I think are quite passionate people.

As for this guy, his opinion also has no validity with me because he is clearly not familiar with their work and performance, if he were then he would know that this is the most personal album they have ever done and can be clearly heard during the playing, I do respect peoples opinions and if he doesn't like it then that's fine, but he is not writing from an accurate perspective as far as I'm concerned.

I also think that not everyone has the capacity to understand the lyrics too,  or just don't bother to try, he is a highly intelligent writer and not everyone gets the way he thinks.

Edited by Rhi_K

• Subscriber

The amount of bagger I read about Songs of Innocence is unbelievable. Even in my favorite magazine it merely gets 1,5 points out of 5.

Every Breaking Wave (a superb song) for instance and California (although not my favorite) are ridiculised and Raised By Wolves compared to something of A-Ha (!).

Song for Someone isn't even mentioned.

The guy who wrote it says U2 "doesn't feel" what it plays or sings and has "no soul" on this record.

Three good songs (Cedarwood Road, The Troubles and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight)) and eight that are superfluous, is his verdict. 

I wrote him a mail to protest. He answered he listened at least ten times to the record before writing and that it's just a personal opinion.

Not that I am backing up this reviewer, but it did vaguely remind me of an A-ha song-that thought did cross my mind-lol (I used to be in fan, many, many, many years ago)