SOI Promo Tour - Radio / TV / Press Interviews

• Subscriber

Yes, the Pawnee symbol tattoo explanation was great, and necessary as it's a confusing symbol to an extent. Wasn't going to post about this, but there's an extent, also given the timing of his son's birth, that I think (and I'm just doing typical fan speculation here, I have no real idea) getting the tattoo may have been influenced by the part Cherokee star of Flaming Star on his horse Rising Sun, dressed in his Mayan Calendar jumpsuit ;), yes, Elvis. Check this video, which is in some ways ZOOTV (One/Unchained Melody, Elvis has left the building) filmed I believe in Charlotte and in Rapid City (I'll give you two versions) ~six weeks before he died, looking "Bad" (the drugs had hold of him). Sometimes I think Bono's phrasing in Unchained mirrors this video, but also look at the back of the jumpsuit (worn frequently on the final tour) from a distance, it's kinda similar to Larry's tattoo.

http://youtu.be/uWqax9iHfRU

http://youtu.be/w2RQclUKdms

But, Elvis aside, the whole "morning star" thing is important to the album as it's a William Blake thing (in the poems of Songs of Innocence / Songs of Experience), and it's also in the Book of Revelations. It can be confusing as Lucifer sometimes get labeled as the morning star, but in the cases here it's just the opposite. Just a bit of babble, but all easily crushed if Larry so chooses ;)

Edited by Koke-dera
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I don't think Larry did a Lucifer-Influenced tattoo...It would be very bad...I think it's an Elvis-related thing rather than the other unmentionable dark influence...

Edited by pain_18_
  • Subscriber

But I think it exactly what Larry tells us in the interview, actually, I mean why would he lie? Why do you need to think it was something other, KokeDera? U2 have always been sincere with us, in all matters.

Edited by pain_18_
  • Subscriber

Pain - don't you use "new content" - this thread has been within the first two pages since it started. Anyway, not saying in anyway Larry is doing anything but telling the truth, just that there are two obvious ways native american culture became a subject for the band (though, of course, neither needs to be where their interest really comes from - it's just what is visible to fans): Lanois, and Elvis, and just speculating on that, it's not a need, but it's a fairly obvious question (did Larry's interest in Elvis lead to a further interest in native culture?). As for the symbol itself, I'm saying the explanation is key, because if you don't know Pawnee culture and didn't research well, you could easily misconstrue the symbol into one associated with other things (e.g., human sacrifice) that wouldn't make sense in the context of what we know of them - very good of him to step up and clarify that after he'd kept it private for so long.

Edited by Koke-dera
  • Subscriber

"New content" is 5th of the 6 categories in the grey bar with search in it. You can also filter it, so you eliminate, say "Games" from the new content.

By the way, it's just as much speculation when I assert things, like the "stars are bright but do they know" line was influenced by "Look at the universe we live in. By far the greatest part of it consists of empty space, completely dark and unimaginably cold," but it's only by making the argument that I can find out how well it stands. It's not necessary that it is an influence, but it makes sense, expands the meaning / makes the song richer for me, and leads me down particular paths I might not otherwise have traveled.

Anyway, we're kind of hi-jacking the thread, so I'll stop now ;)

• Subscriber

I didn't get what you were on about anyway...I  know the U2-Line but where is the second from? And where are you going with it.....

What I'm getting now...from that Iris-Lyric is that Bono payed the price of his mother's loss for the career he has...He seems to kind of hint to it once in a while during interviews...