I DON'T like it,Anyone else?

gibbo1968

• Subscriber

A fan of 32+ years and i just can't get into the new album,got a lot of stick on facebook for not liking it which has pissed me off a bit to say the least.Anyone else feel the same?

Anyway here's my review of it

OK so this will be my FINAL verdict on the new album

I'm back home it's been the fifth listen,on my own,with the best headphones i've got.

it's 'slightly' improved/grown on me but my dislike for certain songs just won't go away however hard I try or some others will try to convince me to,more about those later.

The joey ramone one is certainly a grower for the riff alone but it's hardly a classic,every breaking wave is one i'll enjoy on tour and it does stand out as a U2 'ballad' we can turn off the lights willie get yer mobile phones out and light up the milky way sort of mood song.

California could have been promising if it wasn't for such a shit start and the fact it sounds like an arcade fire no cars go-coldplay mash up.The beat is defo no cars go but what the fuck is that santa barbara intro all about?

Song for someone is boring,we already have every breaking wave why a sub standard version two songs later? oh an woahahahaoos again.

The Iris song is one of me favs it's got good tempo,the bass is chugging the song along and a lot of the 'old' U2 sound is evident all the way through,BUT then that fuckin volcano song arrives,it's WANK yes in big capital letters WANK.

"Volcano, you don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know.
Volcano
Something in you wants to blow
Volcano
You don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know
You’re on a piece of ground above a volcano"

Hardly ivor novello prize winning those lyrics are they?

But anyway the next two songs are the album for me from more or less after the first listen at Oswaldo Salazar's house last week.Love love love Cedarwood road my only gripe is that they slow it down after such a great intro but it's an interesting song as is raised by wolves which is another with the classic U2 sounds of old running through it,whether people like it or not that's the U2 i'm after even after all these years following the band.

and then the painful end to the album,I can lump the last three songs all together i just don't like them at all,the Sleep song is just that if you have insomnia thats a keeper for yer i-pod trust me,if the long named track 10 is about joe strummer I bet he's gettin no peace upstairs with that racket of a song and only the lykke li vocals vaguely save the troubles for me.

So to sum things up i'd go along with the NME as it being 4 out of ten 5 at a push.I really really hope the next 'rumoured' album can push the buttons for me,it does feel a bit odd not to like a U2 album i've tried me hardest believe me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

So nice to read a constructive critisism of this album, I love every song, to me it's great, but lord you are a breath of fresh air gibbo.

I can actually take some of your points, like Volcano, as a tune it is actually one of my favourites, but lyrically nothing to shout about (though I know it has very personal connotations) I liken it to Elevation or Vertigo, not to much in the way of content but it is going to get the crowd going and instrumentally it is a much better song than either Vertigo or Elevation. It's just so damned catchy :)

I also have the same feeling about cedarwood road, I also felt like it should have kept up with that awesome rocking intro, but again, it's one of my favourites as it really sets a scene and tells a great story.

I can't stop loving this album more with each listen, but it's great to see someone talking constructively about why they don't like it instead of just ranting, I felt the same about HTDAAB and although some of it grew on me it is still my least played album, I think it stood up much better live, perhaps this will do the same. NLOTH was the opposite experience, great studio album once it grew on me, but not enough of it stands up live. For me I think they found the balance here.

• Subscriber

Not every song has to be lyrically great tho does it to still be a good listen? Not for me anyway.

My faves are Volcano (I love the 80's feel it has!), This Is Where you Can Reach Me and California (sorry Gibbo!) - for me I wanted some bright upbeat songs this time round and they just do it for me. Each to their own tho.

EBW and Iris have grown on me so much. Still not a fan of The Miracle, just doesn't work for me.

Overall, for me, this is fresh and upbeat and one of the best albums they've brought out in a while, I don't skip over any which is unusual.

Maybe Songs of Experience maybe more your thing Gibbo 

about your thoughts on Volcano... well sometimes you just need a FUN song to dance to or go crazy to.  Not all songs or lyrics have to be serious.  I was a fan of Bon Jovi from 1987-2013, joined their fan club, spent huge amounts for front row seat,  and when I didn't like a few of their songs I didn't complain on its fan club message board.

• Subscriber

I like the constructive review. Although I think it says a lot about the album that almost every other person likes different songs than the next person. There is a lot here that can appeal to very different music listeners. The album has grown on me a lot over the course of at least 15 listens all the way though. I rank the album about mid-tier as far as U2 albums go. I definitely enjoy this one more than HTDAAB or NLOTH.

The Miracle is one that has grown the most for me, I enjoy it more and more with every listen. Every Breaking Wave is just too U2-by-the-numbers for me. The song isn't bad, but it just sounds so much like other songs over the last few albums. I really dig California. One of my favorites on the album. I love the Santa Barbara Beach Boys inspired intro. Song for Someone is the absolute low point of the album for me. Worse than Every Breaking Wave in the same regard. Iris is OK, but I just don't like it as much as others do. Volcano has a great groove (the bass line is killer), but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. I get that not every song can have great lyrics, but for me Bono's lyrics ever since the 90s have been very generic and less mysterious and thought provoking. Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road are the highlight tandem and strongest two on the album for me. Immediate classics. Sleep Like a Baby had been a grower as well. I dig Edge's guitar solo so much. This is Where You Can Reach Me is a good one as well in my opinion. I don't understand the negative feelings I see about this one. The Troubles is one I just don't feel. The Lykke Li backing vocals just bug me. They just don't feel "U2" to me.

Edited by banstylejbo

• Subscriber

I think I must be jaded, because despite seeing a couple of shortcomings (just a couple mind!) I still love it, Anj you're right, I can see past the lyric problem in Volcano, I just love it, it's an awesome song.

Banstylejbo you make a great point about people liking different songs on the album, it's a really eclectic mix, I was worried prior to release that it wasn't going to be exactly what it it has turned out to be, I was ready to be challenged by them again, for me one of the biggest reasons they are great is their ability to reinvent and challenge our ideas about what U2 is, they have done it this time and it is always going to be the way that some people don't like the new direction. I know this is thread about not liking the album and I do like it very much, but it's interesting to discuss the album form this direction seen as the majority love it.

• Subscriber

I purposely steered clear of reviews that popped up all over on 9/9 and 9/10 (sorry, I mean 9/9 & 10/9) to get my own ideas about the album and not someone else's. After giving the album a few plays-through, I like it quite a bit though even my favorite song (Every Breaking Wave) is not a musical masterpiece. As I said in another thread, it's an emotional masterpiece. As someone whose dad was an "oldies" (1950's-1960's pop/rock'n'roll) DJ, I caught the Beach Boys vibe on California right away -- especially since the title steers one that way. However, I know people who despise the Beach Boys' music with the fire of 1,000 suns, so perhaps that is the same emotional volcano (sorry) that welled up inside of gibbo?

While I really don't like the trashing of U2 that goes on in society at large because "it's cool to hate U2," I don't think criticism levied at the album should be met with anything other than civil conversation. The same should be said of the album's praise. No one has to love it or hate it -- and no one is forcing anyone else to listen to it or throw it in the bin. Unless you're a kid and your parent is singing it in the car while you cringe in the backseat.  ;)