I DON'T like it,Anyone else?

• Subscriber

I'm the same Zoocat, I'm fairly sure that at this point they could bring out a Hip Hop album (which I usually really don't like) and I'd love it just becasue it was them lol. They are something truly special in the music world, they may have detractors but history is going to remember a hell of a legacy :D

Say's it's not availble Sigma

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Community Moderator

I'm the same Zoocat, I'm fairly sure that at this point they could bring out a Hip Hop album (which I usually really don't like) and I'd love it just becasue it was them lol. They are something truly special in the music world, they may have detractors but history is going to remember a hell of a legacy :D

Must be only available in the US.  And yes, that was pretty good!

btw, Rhi, love your siggy.

• Subscriber

Must be only available in the US.  And yes, that was pretty good!

btw, Rhi, love your siggy.

Thanks Mich, a few people have refered to it as my 'siggy' now and every time I have a bit of a "huh?", because here (as in the UK) siggy is often short for cigarette lol

• Subscriber

Personally I think the album is better than we could have hoped for; certainly better than I thought it would be, given the longevity of the band and the fact they're now all in their 50's! 

I've been a fan for 30 years but that doesn't mean I automatically like everything that U2 have done. Giving this album a listen for the last few weeks I'm really into it, opening track apart. For me The Miracle is now better, or worse, than Get On Your Boots - yes both have a decent hook but lack depth, for me. Some of the stand out tracks on this album though - and there are a few, notably Iris, Raised By Wolves and The Troubles - are up there with some of their better work. The last few albums have been ok, nothing more, but this one offers promise and amazement that a band of their long-standing can still offer something relevant to the music scene. 

Looking forward to the indoor live shows next year - the last few outdoor ones I've seen (in the UK) have gone for style over substance and the venues lacking in decent sound quality. 

Funnily enough, Mark, I disagree. I've been a fan since the 80s and loved NLOTH, the accompanying tour and everything it stood for. I loved the outdoor shows and the fact they weren't afraid of playing new songs. 

That - like you - doesn't mean to say I'm not averse to criticism of their new output. I agree the sound quality must be good, mind. 

• Subscriber

The new album has really grown on me, I think the nature of the release caught me off guard and I wasn't sure what to think at first. I think I'm in the minority when I say Raised By Wolves, The Troubles & Volcano are probably my least liked on there at the moment.

I did love NLOTH though, I think the single choices was what let it down I think Crazy might have been a better option as the lead single its quite an accessible pop song.

Cedars of Lebanon is a big favourite of mine too  :rolleyes:

• Subscriber

The new album has really grown on me, I think the nature of the release caught me off guard and I wasn't sure what to think at first. I think I'm in the minority when I say Raised By Wolves, The Troubles & Volcano are probably my least liked on there at the moment.

I did love NLOTH though, I think the single choices was what let it down I think Crazy might have been a better option as the lead single its quite an accessible pop song.

Cedars of Lebanon is a big favourite of mine too  :rolleyes:

I agree with this, except I would've gone with the U2-sounds-like-modern-U2 song, "Magnificent," as the lead single -- though "Crazy" would probably have worked just as well. Either would have been a better "first impression" than "Boots."

• Subscriber

about your thoughts on Volcano... well sometimes you just need a FUN song to dance to or go crazy to.  Not all songs or lyrics have to be serious.  I was a fan of Bon Jovi from 1987-2013, joined their fan club, spent huge amounts for front row seat,  and when I didn't like a few of their songs I didn't complain on its fan club message board.

Lol, loved this.

• Subscriber

A fan of 32+ years and i just can't get into the new album,got a lot of stick on facebook for not liking it which has pissed me off a bit to say the least.Anyone else feel the same?

Anyway here's my review of it

OK so this will be my FINAL verdict on the new album

I'm back home it's been the fifth listen,on my own,with the best headphones i've got.

it's 'slightly' improved/grown on me but my dislike for certain songs just won't go away however hard I try or some others will try to convince me to,more about those later.

The joey ramone one is certainly a grower for the riff alone but it's hardly a classic,every breaking wave is one i'll enjoy on tour and it does stand out as a U2 'ballad' we can turn off the lights willie get yer mobile phones out and light up the milky way sort of mood song.

California could have been promising if it wasn't for such a shit start and the fact it sounds like an arcade fire no cars go-coldplay mash up.The beat is defo no cars go but what the fuck is that santa barbara intro all about?

Song for someone is boring,we already have every breaking wave why a sub standard version two songs later? oh an woahahahaoos again.

The Iris song is one of me favs it's got good tempo,the bass is chugging the song along and a lot of the 'old' U2 sound is evident all the way through,BUT then that fuckin volcano song arrives,it's WANK yes in big capital letters WANK.

"Volcano, you don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know.

Volcano

Something in you wants to blow

Volcano

You don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know

You’re on a piece of ground above a volcano"

Hardly ivor novello prize winning those lyrics are they?

But anyway the next two songs are the album for me from more or less after the first listen at Oswaldo Salazar's house last week.Love love love Cedarwood road my only gripe is that they slow it down after such a great intro but it's an interesting song as is raised by wolves which is another with the classic U2 sounds of old running through it,whether people like it or not that's the U2 i'm after even after all these years following the band.

and then the painful end to the album,I can lump the last three songs all together i just don't like them at all,the Sleep song is just that if you have insomnia thats a keeper for yer i-pod trust me,if the long named track 10 is about joe strummer I bet he's gettin no peace upstairs with that racket of a song and only the lykke li vocals vaguely save the troubles for me.

So to sum things up i'd go along with the NME as it being 4 out of ten 5 at a push.I really really hope the next 'rumoured' album can push the buttons for me,it does feel a bit odd not to like a U2 album i've tried me hardest believe me.

I'm inclined to agree Gibbo, it's really not that great an album - although I consider it better than NLOTH. Don't think they're really trying any more. Pop is still their best work.

The new Slash album however is well worth buying!

A fan of 32+ years and i just can't get into the new album,got a lot of stick on facebook for not liking it which has pissed me off a bit to say the least.Anyone else feel the same?

Anyway here's my review of it

OK so this will be my FINAL verdict on the new album

I'm back home it's been the fifth listen,on my own,with the best headphones i've got.

it's 'slightly' improved/grown on me but my dislike for certain songs just won't go away however hard I try or some others will try to convince me to,more about those later.

The joey ramone one is certainly a grower for the riff alone but it's hardly a classic,every breaking wave is one i'll enjoy on tour and it does stand out as a U2 'ballad' we can turn off the lights willie get yer mobile phones out and light up the milky way sort of mood song.

California could have been promising if it wasn't for such a shit start and the fact it sounds like an arcade fire no cars go-coldplay mash up.The beat is defo no cars go but what the fuck is that santa barbara intro all about?

Song for someone is boring,we already have every breaking wave why a sub standard version two songs later? oh an woahahahaoos again.

The Iris song is one of me favs it's got good tempo,the bass is chugging the song along and a lot of the 'old' U2 sound is evident all the way through,BUT then that fuckin volcano song arrives,it's WANK yes in big capital letters WANK.

"Volcano, you don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know.

Volcano

Something in you wants to blow

Volcano

You don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know

You’re on a piece of ground above a volcano"

Hardly ivor novello prize winning those lyrics are they?

But anyway the next two songs are the album for me from more or less after the first listen at Oswaldo Salazar's house last week.Love love love Cedarwood road my only gripe is that they slow it down after such a great intro but it's an interesting song as is raised by wolves which is another with the classic U2 sounds of old running through it,whether people like it or not that's the U2 i'm after even after all these years following the band.

and then the painful end to the album,I can lump the last three songs all together i just don't like them at all,the Sleep song is just that if you have insomnia thats a keeper for yer i-pod trust me,if the long named track 10 is about joe strummer I bet he's gettin no peace upstairs with that racket of a song and only the lykke li vocals vaguely save the troubles for me.

So to sum things up i'd go along with the NME as it being 4 out of ten 5 at a push.I really really hope the next 'rumoured' album can push the buttons for me,it does feel a bit odd not to like a U2 album i've tried me hardest believe me.

Gibbo, didn't notice all the stick you got on FB, but I can imagine.  I always enjoy your reviews, truthful and funny.  Totally agree with you about Cedarwood Road, great intro, then it stalls out.  Agree about Raised By Wolves, lots of old classic U2 sound in it, I like it.  The Miracle isn't bad, Every Breaking Wave is a classic U2 ballad, nice.  California is all about the Beach Boys sound and the Santa Barbara intro is a nod to their song Baraba Ann IMO.  LMAO about Sleep Like A Baby and This Is Where You Can Reach Me, poor Joe and the Sleep song is a snoozefest.  I like Iris and The Troubles.  I like this album more then the last 2 albums and the concept of the album.  

To me, when you have to listen to an album a few times to "get into it", it means it's not that great of an album.  How many U2 albums since 1980 (any artists album) had/have songs that jump out at you immediately and you love certain songs right out of the box.  That doesn't happen anymore for U2 and a lot of artists.

Boy I do love the cover of the album  :D

Edited by surrenders