I DON'T like it,Anyone else?

gibbo1968

same with me with some u2 songs but theres a few here ive given the chance and i know i'l never like them

"The Miracle (of Joey Ramone),"  has zero chance for me , i absolutely hate the sound and lyrics

all this woah woah , miracles because bono likes a song etc means nothing to be and they made it even less appealing by hearing it for the first time for a company like apple who i hate for their crappy rip off Iphone  spy device that has turned half the human race into morons that cant even take a shit without updating it to their facebook status & Idiots now even using facebook to say happy birthday to their children.. Steve Jobs is a genius for stripping the human race of a need for using  natural senses to communicate but thats another topic lol

Back to the album .. Song for someone is another awful song for me .. whats it about ?

Cuts healing , lights going out and hills of calvery ? 

by the end of those two songs you'd think Bono is trying send a message to the pope that he's ready to be canonised.

Iris is a song that i dont like either but i respect its meaning so not going to go slate it . i just wish Bono decided to keep it to himself because it sounds corney

And talking about Corny i got an email from u2 with a new album cover , my first impressions were u2 had gone mad and were trying to target the Gay community but then i realised it was Larry and thought maybe he's coming out the closet untill i googled it and really its an innocent image of Larry being the corniest drummer that the rock n roll industry has ever produced.

I think they wanted to follow on from the boy image but this is a major fail imo

Boy is art .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I like the bridge in Miracle and Edges subtle backing vocal 'whoo-oooh.whoo-oooh' - look it's good, but not a favourite track on the album for me. (PS - that's the first time I've ever attempted to type a backing vocal ffs... :) )

• Subscriber

The first time I listened to Achtung Baby, I thought it was the biggest pile of noise I had ever heard from the band, took me about a year to fully love it, back in 91. Sign of a great album that.

The first time I listened to AB, like us all - I was considerably younger....but yeah. I didn't struggle with the change in musical direction back then, but the image change - that was a curve ball. Eventually I caught the ball. Took me about a year to get that!

• Subscriber

I actually like the last three songs. Otherwise, I think your review raises some very good points. I think it's a good album but not great. Not a huge fan. Right now I have it #12 on my all-time ranking. 

Totally agree on Volcano. In fact, other than Iris - I found the lyrics to be really shallow and weak compared to the lyrics on JT, AB, ATYCLB, WAR, and UF.

I think there's some good music that if there were some poetic lyrics with some depth - could really be potent songs.

• Subscriber

A fan of 32+ years and i just can't get into the new album,got a lot of stick on facebook for not liking it which has pissed me off a bit to say the least.Anyone else feel the same?

Anyway here's my review of it

OK so this will be my FINAL verdict on the new album

I'm back home it's been the fifth listen,on my own,with the best headphones i've got.

it's 'slightly' improved/grown on me but my dislike for certain songs just won't go away however hard I try or some others will try to convince me to,more about those later.

The joey ramone one is certainly a grower for the riff alone but it's hardly a classic,every breaking wave is one i'll enjoy on tour and it does stand out as a U2 'ballad' we can turn off the lights willie get yer mobile phones out and light up the milky way sort of mood song.

California could have been promising if it wasn't for such a shit start and the fact it sounds like an arcade fire no cars go-coldplay mash up.The beat is defo no cars go but what the fuck is that santa barbara intro all about?

Song for someone is boring,we already have every breaking wave why a sub standard version two songs later? oh an woahahahaoos again.

The Iris song is one of me favs it's got good tempo,the bass is chugging the song along and a lot of the 'old' U2 sound is evident all the way through,BUT then that fuckin volcano song arrives,it's WANK yes in big capital letters WANK.

"Volcano, you don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know.

Volcano

Something in you wants to blow

Volcano

You don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know

You’re on a piece of ground above a volcano"

Hardly ivor novello prize winning those lyrics are they?

But anyway the next two songs are the album for me from more or less after the first listen at Oswaldo Salazar's house last week.Love love love Cedarwood road my only gripe is that they slow it down after such a great intro but it's an interesting song as is raised by wolves which is another with the classic U2 sounds of old running through it,whether people like it or not that's the U2 i'm after even after all these years following the band.

and then the painful end to the album,I can lump the last three songs all together i just don't like them at all,the Sleep song is just that if you have insomnia thats a keeper for yer i-pod trust me,if the long named track 10 is about joe strummer I bet he's gettin no peace upstairs with that racket of a song and only the lykke li vocals vaguely save the troubles for me.

So to sum things up i'd go along with the NME as it being 4 out of ten 5 at a push.I really really hope the next 'rumoured' album can push the buttons for me,it does feel a bit odd not to like a U2 album i've tried me hardest believe me.

Gibbo, didn't notice all the stick you got on FB, but I can imagine.  I always enjoy your reviews, truthful and funny.  Totally agree with you about Cedarwood Road, great intro, then it stalls out.  Agree about Raised By Wolves, lots of old classic U2 sound in it, I like it.  The Miracle isn't bad, Every Breaking Wave is a classic U2 ballad, nice.  California is all about the Beach Boys sound and the Santa Barbara intro is a nod to their song Baraba Ann IMO.  LMAO about Sleep Like A Baby and This Is Where You Can Reach Me, poor Joe and the Sleep song is a snoozefest.  I like Iris and The Troubles.  I like this album more then the last 2 albums and the concept of the album.  

To me, when you have to listen to an album a few times to "get into it", it means it's not that great of an album.  How many U2 albums since 1980 (any artists album) had/have songs that jump out at you immediately and you love certain songs right out of the box.  That doesn't happen anymore for U2 and a lot of artists.

Boy I do love the cover of the album  :D

This has been the problem with the last two albums. There are no songs that grab you and make you go, "Wow, that is truly a great song!" as happened on War, UF, JT, AB, ATYCLB, and most others to a lesser degree. 

I am not expecting a JT or AB experience at this point. But, there certainly is no Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, on this album; or even a Vertigo, City or even a statement song like Love & Peace.

It seems to me they have been trying too hard to re-invent themselves in some way and have lost their mojo along the way. They are my favorite band of all-time so I love hearing anything new and learn to enjoy it. But, I would be overjoyed with even one or two songs that matched Streets or Pride or SBS or New Year's Day or Beautiful Day.

• Subscriber

I actually think Every Breaking Wave is that song that YoungmanU2 is looking for (the one that grabs you) -- at least for me it is. It's certainly a more subtle grab. More of a tug, really, but there is a clinging emotion to it that is different from the rest of the album.

I don't mean to tell Youngman that this *must* be so, but it is for me. For what it's worth, 'Love and Peace or Else' is my favorite tune from HTDAAB.

As to the lyrics being "shallow," I don't see it. Asking the band to be more nostalgic about their own existence as a band drums up the most personal lyrics Bono has written to date. Since Youngman mentioned Iris already, I'll have to point out Cedarwood Road as the (second-) best and (second-) most deep song, purely in terms of lyrical content. I love the lyrics "You can’t return to where you’ve never left" and "A HEART THAT IS BROKEN IS A HEART THAT IS OPEN." The lyrics on this album are about carrying emotion, not trying to be witty. So, it's not the profoundness of "One" or the incredible turn of a figure of speech used in "Until the End of the World" (that being "In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows they'd learned to swim"). It's a heavy-weighted album, emotionally, and often times when we get emotional we try explaining it in the simplest possible terms while trying to convey what we feel or why we feel the way we do.

That's my $.02 after a month-plus of listening.  I still dig it. I still LOVE "Every Breaking Wave." And I still think "Miracle" is an ok song and the album gets much better from there. :D

The first time I listened to Achtung Baby, I thought it was the biggest pile of noise I had ever heard from the band, took me about a year to fully love it, back in 91. Sign of a great album that.

You know, outside of Even Better, The Fly, and Acrobat, the first time I heard Achtung Baby I thought it was extremely boring, and it took Zooropa and ZooTV in Sydney to love it.  Sign of a great era that for me.

• Subscriber

I actually think Every Breaking Wave is that song that YoungmanU2 is looking for (the one that grabs you) -- at least for me it is. It's certainly a more subtle grab. More of a tug, really, but there is a clinging emotion to it that is different from the rest of the album.

I don't mean to tell Youngman that this *must* be so, but it is for me. For what it's worth, 'Love and Peace or Else' is my favorite tune from HTDAAB.

As to the lyrics being "shallow," I don't see it. Asking the band to be more nostalgic about their own existence as a band drums up the most personal lyrics Bono has written to date. Since Youngman mentioned Iris already, I'll have to point out Cedarwood Road as the (second-) best and (second-) most deep song, purely in terms of lyrical content. I love the lyrics "You can’t return to where you’ve never left" and "A HEART THAT IS BROKEN IS A HEART THAT IS OPEN." The lyrics on this album are about carrying emotion, not trying to be witty. So, it's not the profoundness of "One" or the incredible turn of a figure of speech used in "Until the End of the World" (that being "In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows they'd learned to swim"). It's a heavy-weighted album, emotionally, and often times when we get emotional we try explaining it in the simplest possible terms while trying to convey what we feel or why we feel the way we do.

That's my $.02 after a month-plus of listening.  I still dig it. I still LOVE "Every Breaking Wave." And I still think "Miracle" is an ok song and the album gets much better from there. :D

You know when you want to say something and someone else says it in a much clearer fashion than you? Thanks MJG3 :)