More free music please!

jimorbono

• Subscriber

Just for the record...I'd love to have some more free music dumped into my iCloud thingy! Perhaps something which I wouldn't have purchased otherwise. What a great concept...but it isn't really 'free' is it? Chances are you will have already owned several apple devices and purchased plenty music through iTunes so you've (sort of) paid for it via other channels (just how profitable was Apple again?). Not that this is bad, in fact I think it's ace. Not sure though how many other bands could negotiate their way to such a mega deal. Not sure it would actually work either, even for relatively big bands. I like the killers hugely and they are a 'big' band but I can't see the likes of them being able to strike this kind of deal. I live in hope!

In the case of Songs of Innocence i think this release is an absolute master stroke in terms of publicity. The U2 lovers have a 'free' album and the U2 detractors have something to 'publicly' whine about. And that's the thing here 'publicly' as everyone's talking about U2 and their (for the record, brilliant) new album. Any publicity is good publicity!

Having read plenty of negative reviews of the new album It would seem that these reviewers are constantly looking for a return to the sonically superior earlier days of the bands existence and when the anthems of old don't materialise they pan the album and suggest that the band 'still haven't found what they're looking for' to quote one of the reviews. Err...just how much did their last tour gross, and wasn't that off the back of another 'panned' album? I agree Songs of Innocence isn't 'mainstream' U2 but it's damn good and certainly doesn't deserve the panning most reviewers have given it.

As much as I like the great songs and anthems of old I often wonder what a U2 show would be like without them with just stuff from the last two or perhaps three albums. No streets, no with or without you, no one, no pride (haven't heard that one for a bit though) no New Year's Day, no out of control (oh go on then, we'll leave that one in). I think you'll find they don't actually need them in and the show will still be a great show, which brings me to the point I raised earlier about the anthems of old. Point is they don't need them anymore and (please don't shoot me for saying this) perhaps even the 'fans' don't need (or want) them anymore. I like the fact that U2 don't go over old ground and always look to do something creative both in their music and how they go about distributing their music. 360 was a innovation, can't wait for whats next!

Carry on U2, keep doing something different! something creative! something innovative!...and keep all those whining music journalists in a job!

• Subscriber

Here here! However...if they ever dumped streets I would be devastated, it's not so much about the song (although I love it) it's more about what it does to the audience.

Though I doubt it would ever be dropped...and yes, Out Of Control shouldn't go anywhere! :)

• Subscriber

Chances are you will have already owned several apple devices and purchased plenty music through iTunes so you've (sort of) paid for it via other channels (just how profitable was Apple again?)

No i haven't and many others like me.

The only one who paid for was Apple itself :D