Sign in to follow this  
fnt1974

new songs not written by u2?

I haven't been on the boards for ages so I apologize if this thread exists already. A friend of mine recently told me that "none/most of the new songs were not written by u2", quoting, by his estimation, a reputable source. I'M NOT SAYING THAT I BELIEVE HIM, but I thought I'd put this question out there for those of you who might be more informed than I.  Heard anything like this out there?

This shouldn't be too hard to sort out.   You'd just have to check the song registration records with groups like PRS or BMI etc.... and obviously the band's publisher would know. 

pfft utter nonsense, the one thing this band definitely have is musicial integrity

I agree with you all, and I will delight in proving my friend wrong. He's the sort that always has to be right, and when he began this conversation with me, I held my tongue simply for self-preservation, knowing full-well his argument was futile.  He has yet to offer any concrete proof.

I'll offer something concrete to bop him over the head with :lol:

This should help clear this up.....

The Universal Music Publishing Group website has a "search music catalog" function and if you do so - and search U2 as artists - then you will see all the new songs registered as  "written by: Hewson, Paul David; Evans, Dave; Mullen, Larry; Clayton, Adam."

Ordinary Love was co-written with Brian Burton - aka Danger Mouse.

No Line on the Horizon seems to have been published by Universal Music, but really, a quick look at the liner notes should tell you if that's correct.

Seems most of those songs, if not all, were creditted to U2, Eno and Lanois. 

Songs of Innocence seems to be published through Universal as well.

"Invisible" seems to have been credited to U2 in terms of writing. 

Anything from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb earlier seems to have been published through Blue Mountain Music Publishing and all songs are listed there in their catalog though it doesn't give a writers breakdown.