Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

SOI_giveaway01_zpsda570dd5.jpg

This is a great opportunity for fans to grab a copy of this super rare vinyl release, and this topic is where you need to add your entry.

Full details of the offer & requirements can be found here : http://www.u2.com/news/title/vinyl-special

"What we're looking for from you is a vivid memory of an early gig - or a show that changed your life. 

Could be the first band you saw... or just one you'll never forget. 

Anything strange or wonderful take place - or was it a total let-down ? 

Did you meet them backstage after the show - or have you never listened to them again? 

Extra points if you can include a photo of the night - with your mates or with that weird hairstyle you had at the time or of the poster promoting the gig. 

We'll publish some of the best entries on the site and our favourites from U2.com subscribers will receive one of these special Songs Of Innocence vinyl LP's. (You can still enter if you're not a subscriber - we've blagged a few other Songs of Innocence prizes too.) 

Post your pictures / links to the story up on social media (Twitter / FB / Instagram etc) using the hashtag #unforgettablegig and enter in (..this thread..).

Entries close on Friday October 17th."

Please keep this topic for ENTRIES ONLY : and any discussion about entries, questions etc, please post in the Discussion thread - best of luck to all

It's spring of 1992.  I'm 14.  I've purchased three seminal albums by this Irish band that I've heard might be Christian -- "The Joshua Tree," "Achtung Baby," and "Rattle and Hum." These songs have their hooks in me already, like some kind of sonic earworm, but I'm not a believer yet, not really, just a casual fan.  Still, I've got enough sense to know that something major is shifting in music, and these four blokes from Ireland are at the center of it.

When tickets go on sale for the Zoo TV Outside Broadcast tour, I call my local Providence Ticketmaster.  I get nothing but busy signals.  It's driving me crazy, and maybe it's that whole thing of being confronted by an impossible task, but it only strengthens my resolve: I now *have* to see these guys play at Foxboro Stadium.  But after twenty minutes trying to get through, I decide to get savvy and track down the number for a Ticketmaster outlet in Maine.  I call, get through straightaway, only to have a kindly operator tell me that the show *just* sold out, BUT THEY JUST ADDED A SECOND SHOW FOR AUGUST 22ND.  She promises to get me the best seats possible and I snap up two, for me and my friend Jesse.

Weeks later, the tickets arrive, and gag me with a spoon (which is how the young people talked back then) -- I have third row.  The kind Ticketmaster lady did indeed do me a solid.

Jesse and I roll up to Foxboro Stadium, dropped off by my mom, with no idea what to expect -- two kids left to their own devices.  Imagine my shock when we get down to the left side of the stage, by Edge, only to find that the third row tickets are ACTUALLY FIRST ROW.  The security guy smiles at us.  "You boys have no idea what you're in for," he says...and he's right.

Standing in front of Edge, with 50 speakers blowing my mind and eardrums, I witnessed the full-on power of U2.  They played their traditional Zoo TV setlist that night, but instead of "Bad," they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- Bono pulled out an acoustic "So Cruel" -- they called George Bush and, when he wasn't available, Bono asked to speak to Barbara.  What amazed me most was how the songs I had listened to on the record sounded so different live, so much more vital -- the extended "Mysterious Ways" coda complete with slide guitar, the completely reimagined "Running to Stand Still," the acidic "Bullet the Blue Sky," the aggressive "Desire."

Within a month I had purchased the rest of their back catalogue.  Within six months I was learning to play their songs on my beat-up acoustic guitar.  Within a year I had started collecting every single, so I could have every B-side.  I had become a full-on evangelist, making mixes of their rarest stuff for my friends who were casual friends.  I became a ticket-buying maestro, figuring out the ins and outs of getting tickets for every subsequent tour.  (Seriously -- on the Vertigo tour I might as well have been a ticket broker for my friends, getting tickets for Dublin, San Diego, Anaheim, Tampa, and elsewhere.)

Because of this band I started discovering music I didn't know existed -- from Dublin contemporaries like Gavin Friday to forerunners like Van Morrison.  Thanks to U2's experimentation with gospel and blues I discovered BB King in college, and because Miles Davis listened to "Unforgettable Fire" as he lay dying, I discovered jazz and the miracle not only of Miles but of Coltrane too.

U2's music has been blowing my mind and changing my life for twenty years.  And it started with one electric night in Foxboro.

post-290149-0-86922200-1412624196_thumb.jpg

Edited by NScoggins

Brussels 2 - Thursday 23rd september 2010: that night my grandfather died, I was far away not with him , It was raining outside and I couldn't cry...

Hopefully a friend was here,see pic from U2 family and they played BAD...Thank you U2.

U2 are always outstanding under the rain, I will never forget!!!

post-350544-0-55264700-1412624105_thumb.jpg

i had u2s first five albums the unforgetable fire tour was playing in dublin croker i had got apot to piss in at the time so i got a brain wave i got a wooding ladder ran up the tracks from east wall with the ladder put on the wall at hill 15 climb up jump over shout down to the crowd and they caught me proper u2 fans best free concert ever if makes u2 feel any better i have paid into every other concert that they have ever played in ireland watch more gigs

What can I say? Sleeping 4 days outside Azteca Stadium, Waiting for the most beautiful and great day of my life coming true during U2 360 Tour Sexico Can't be better thing on my life, Days are passing by and My head Still living That Moment, I will never Forget..

post-288035-0-75526700-1412625162_thumb.jpg

post-288035-0-45637900-1412625178_thumb.jpg

U2 in Dublin, Coke Park 24.07. 2009: Not my first concert but the most emotional concert. It was my Big Dream to see U2 in their hometown. It was just amazing to spend the concert with my best friends . I saw U2 in Dortmund 15.12.1989 for the First Time. It was also my First concert ever. Unfortunatly I broke my right leg two weeks before the concert. But my brother helped me to go to the concert and my mum had knitted me one sock with a U2 logo on it for my toes.

post-578561-0-50014200-1412627340_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vannelle

This is not my first gig (REO in 81) or my first U2 gig (Chicago 83).  But my most memorable one.

My best friend from elementary school, Paul, attended most of the shows with me.  And he was at many U2 gigs with me through the years back to JT Tour.  We had scored fan club tickets for the 2005 Omaha show and were GA.  We had also met the manager of the venue online and met him in line for the show.  It is always great hooking up with people from U2.com!  Anyhow, we were sitting inside in the GA line (they were kind to us as it was mid-December in Omaha....cold!) and we looked around.  We were easily the oldest in line and were reminiscing our shows form the past.  It was funny how the young fans gathered around in amazement to hear what it was like during the peak of U2 creativity and the shows were epic!  

Anyhow, we were lucky to get the early pass in and were next to Warren Buffets family in the ellipse.  They were really nice.  Second row in front of Edge is where we ended up.  Paul and I had been lucky enough to see them front row at many early gigs and this was a much more pleasant way to see them than the battles we went through back in the day.  The show was fantastic as expected.  We really dug hearing Crumbs and there was a little flub when they played it.  Which was funny.  But when they played 40, Paul and I looked at each other and remembered our first U2 gig together in 87 in Iowa City where they closed with the same song.  We both hugged each other and Paul told me how much he appreciated the shows we attended and they were great escapes for him as well as lasting memories.  And he spoke of the show for months afterwards. 

That was the last show I would see with Paul.  Depression is something I wish on not even my worst enemy.  And Paul could not take it anymore unfortunately.  I lost my best friend from childhood.  You just don't get another one of those.  My heart will always be empty now without my buddy to share things with.  He was well read, intelligent, and a true gentleman.  I still cannot listen to 40 and I probably never will again.  I just wish for my friend again.  I guess I am selfish that way.

Mi primer concierto, Uffffff, haya por los 90' estadio Vicente calderón Madrid, y lo primero de todo la forma curiosa de conseguir las entradas, fue a través del cupón de una revista, y tras varias semanas llegó la carta con las entradas, fue increíble....., y una vez alli, y comenzar en concierto, con esos muñecos con las cabezas de Bono, edge....algo increíble, inolvidable.

(english translation) : My first concert, Uffffff, is for the 90 'stadium Vicente Calderon Madrid, and first of all the curious way to get tickets was through coupon from a magazine, and after several weeks the letter arrived with the tickets, was amazing ..... and once there, and start live with those dolls with the heads of Bono, edge .... unbelievable, unforgettable.

It was 1997. I was 17 years old and on my second year of highschool. 

Near april, my sister told me her favorite band would come to Mexico to promote their most recent album and asked me if I'd like to go. I said "yeah, why not? Sounds like fun". Then, my sister and me (along with some other members of our familiy) bought the cheapiest tickets available. I had no money, I was a student, you can't blame me. 

I knew nothing about the band playing that night. I knew just one song (With or without you) and that was all. 

The date of the show? December 3rd. 8 o´clock, Foro Sol, Mexico City. 

Despite the traffic, we arrived on time to watch how the venue filled with so many people... 

I had never been to a concert before, that was my first time. And to watch that gigantic screen in front of me, it amazed me. It thrilled me. "How come that is a part of a show?, I thought. Yeah, I was so noob. Control Machete opened the show that night. Great performance and the audience responded kindly, but nothing too special. 

Then, near 9:20 pm, the lights went out and the people went crazy. Screams were all over the place. I've never seen nothing like it. The passion, the weirdesness, the screams, the happiness, the lights... 

The screen on the stage turned on and I could see the images so clearly. It was them. The band, walking through the crowd directly to the stage. Again, the people went totally crazy about it. 

That crazyness went contagious, because I felt something. 

The songs began to roar and the party just escalated. Melody after melody, the show just got bigger and bigger. I didn't knew the songs, so I concentrated in the show, the screen, the lights, the crowd, the band in front of me (we had like 300 meters and thousand of screaming fans in between, but I didn't care...)

Then, it happened. 

The sound of the guitar still remained in the air when the bass began that song. That song that I finally was able to recognize. That song I've always liked it but was to lazy to know where it came from or who played it. 

It was New Year's Day. And for all I care about, it was new year's day for me, because I din't knew it yet, but that was the exact moment when my life changed. When this band changed me. Forever. 

The concert went on and with every song I just felt completly in love with each and every one of them. With the power of the perfomance, with the concept of the show. With the band's music. 

I was stunned. I couldn´t even speak. I remained silent until we returned home. 

The next day I woke up the same man, but something in me was different. Something happened to me the night of december 3rd, 1997, when I was just 17 years old, during my second year of highschool. 

Since then, I commited myselfe to never attend  another show and not know who they are and what they are singing. 

I even learden to play the guitar and bass guitar, inspired by that band I knew nothing about... 

U2's PopMart Tour changed my life. For the better. And Inspired me to do and become someone better than I was. 

Since that night I am indebt to my sister. And I am sorry, I couldn't take any pictures... 

But that night (and THAT song) remains in video. Forever. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Avion Espia

My first real concert was back in the 80's and going to see Huey Lewis and the News play in my home state.  I was 14 and this was HUGE for me to be able to go with my friend and her older sister. The show was fantastic and opened my eyes up to the amazing experience of seeing music live vs hearing it on the radio or from a record.  Cut to a couple of years later and seeing INXS ... oh, now that was a show and just fantastic ... then, unfortunately, many, many years go by until I can finally get back in the concert groove and who do I see?  U2 in Boston ... yes, it was unforgettable and has lead to a re-commitment on my part to see as many shows as I can and by the artists that I love.  I can't wait to see u2 again next year!!  ‪#‎unforgettablegig‬