Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

It was 1986 and I had just turned 16. After U2 my 2 favourite bands were Simple Minds and Simply Red. Then the neighbour's son (who was a few years older and I really looked up to) did me a huge favor and asked if I wanted to come to the Simple Minds concert in the Amsterdamse Bos. This is a park in the city of Amsterdam and a unique venue (unfortunately no longer used as a concert venue). He then went on to tell me the opening acts were ten ten and Simply Red. I hadn't heard of ten ten but to have Simpy Red open up for Simple Minds was just insane. 

The venue was amazing, in the woods in a very large park, it felt like you were in the middle of nature, what a location for a concert!

It started drizzling as Simoky Red was playing but Mick did not care and they put on a great show. As good as Simply Red were Simple Minds were just amazing and they put on a show that was so good we forgot about the rain and we celebrated the rain as part of the show and everybody was dancing and singing along.

That day I really got hooked on music and I have seen Simple Minds a few times since then and they never fail to deliver. My favorite band may be U2 and I have seen them a few times live (the best show for me was in the golden circle in Paris in the Stade de France) but this show in the open air with Simply Red and Simple Minds really changed my life and how music has become the soundtrack of my life.

I saved the ticket of the show, I guess that shows how important the concert was to me.

I will never forget it and I will always be thankful for the neighbor's kid for taking me to see the show! #unforgettablegig

Not a U2 concert changed my (music)world, it was a festival. In Summer 1979 I saw the first lasershow in my life and the band who 'burns' theses green lines in the dark ski of the Zeppelinfeld in Nürnberg was "The Who". I was just 15 years old an I was a "Rockrookie". The Year before I saw at the same Location Bob Dylan becaus Folk and Folkrock was my favourite musicstyle. It was fantastic to part of the crowd of the show in 1978 but I will never forget the show of 1979 a young "unknown" Band, AC/DC and the Rocklegends The Who shown me the Way to Rock, Hard Rock and Heavymetal. It was time to say goodbye to Folk and Folkrock.

Without that great expirence, I'm sure, I would never registered a small notice in our local magazine about an young, innovative Punkrock Band, so the magazine wrote . So I bought a ticket for a concert on February 1981 in Munich in small club called Sugar Shack and the who played ther was U2. The show was not compareable with the Festival but the singer, so much enthusiasm, so much power, I will never forget.

I became a  real U"-Fan in 1984 at the Loreley Concert and I think it will a neverending story.

So thanks to The Who, AC/DC, The Scorpions, Molly Hatchet, Nils Lofgren and so on, they showed me my way to Rock ´n´Roll

Thanks

Michael

PS: Sorry I´ve lost my ticket, I was young and unskilled ;-), but I find that posterpost-433914-0-19257500-1412666283_thumb.jpg

It was 1985 Live Aid was on tv i was boaring that day until U2 came on stage .

What a performance from that day U2 changed my life completely.

I am a big collector always go to the concerts U2 is a big part of my life.

when I found him in front of me did not believe we had waited six hours waiting for the end of the tests x two nights , the first night me and my wife in disbelief in front of everyone with a lot of people behind pushing and when I reached with my cd in hand x bono let me autograph and he signed a shiver passed over the entire back and screamed yes ... yes . thanks bono !!!! and when I went out with my cd from the crowd cried like a baby ..... in the evening after it was the night before the concert we were always a lot less but of course we were already camped out for the next day .. now no hope but to avevavo suddenly everyone is out and 4 and have started to distribute pizza at all , and that night I touched his hand to the edge . Two evenings ... it was amazing turin 2010

Edited by carciofo

The saints are coming / Green day Melkweg Amsterdam 1994

Longview went on airplay in Holland and Dookie was released. Green day !! And they come to Holland / milky way ( melkweg ). Before the big breakthrough. Nice place, first venue for U2 at their first concert in Holland. 700 people got a ticket to see the next big thing..green day. Before the show, Dee Dee Ramone was also at the venue and walking around ! Then, showtime... first song, second song, third song..and then Billie Joe makes a jump..end of the show..Billie joe broke his ankle..a short punkrockshow...People are told to hold their tickets for another green day show in the Milky Way..but..they never came back..after this, the band went bigger and they finaly make their breakthrough ...

Nice facts: u2's first concert in holland was also Milky way, Ramones are a favorite of U2, U2 also had a short ( the RAI ) concert in Amsterdam, U2 and greenday made the single Saints are comming and they are on stage together to sing that song...nice..isn't ?

hereby the poster from the concert and a picture from the band at milky way.

#unforgettablegig

post-296299-0-94221200-1412670062_thumb.png

post-296299-0-02986300-1412670068_thumb.jpg

Some of my cooler mates persuaded me to buy a ticket to a Thin Lizzy gig in the RDS, Dublin, 1983. I was luke warm about going along but excited as hell as it was my first 'big' gig and I was 15. The show was brilliant, Philo was in majestic form and I was a fan ever since. I remember coming outside afterwards trying to pop my ears by squeezing them and I said to my mates, 'jeysus, that was loud'. They still slag me about that!

No photos as it was pre smartphone and digital cameras.

2001, 1st Slane Castle Concert, Dublin, Ireland

post-296633-0-94997300-1412670502_thumb.jpg

Well, the exciting and long-awaited-for time finally came, and we hurried to Dublin for "the biggest U2 concert ever" according to the local papers, with 80,000 people expected to attend.  However, when we arrived it was cold and rainy so we became concerned about the 10-hour outdoor venue.  I also found out that they were having a second Slane concert the next weekend because so many locals were turned away in the ticket lines and the lineup for that event was much better with Moby, the Foo Fighters and Nellie Furtado, so I was bummed we weren't really seeing their final concert of this tour after all.  The next morning things seemed worse as the front page of every newspaper had Bono's face (the lead singer) on it because his Dad had just died and the funeral was the day before the concert.  The headlines everywhere said "It's the Saddest Day", a twist on the band's current song "It's a Beautiful Day". 

But, my sister Gena and her husband Mike finally showed up, having just arrived from the airport, with just a half hour to spare until the last concert bus left for the concert, so we stormed through the streets and found hundreds of people waiting.  They packed as many people as could fit onto the double decker buses for the 30-minute ride to the castle town of Slane, and, of course, this being Ireland, many of the riders were drunk.  So a competition began between a group on the bottom floor of the bus and three guys on the top to see who could sing the most U2 songs accurately.  They were so drunk and singing so loud that their faces looked like they were going to explode.  When we finally arrived in Slane, we were driven down a road that was lined with hundreds and hundreds of the same double decker buses unloading people for as far as we could see that there must have been a mile of buses!  By this time the rain had stopped and the clouds began clearing!

Then we joined the moving mob down the road toward the Castle where we could see thousands of people and the stage way off in the distance.  We walked and walked and walked for well over a mile, through four search points, past all kinds of concert vendors and radio stations, and onto a muddy forested road, and eventually we started hearing the music of the band that was on stage.  While trampling through the mud with everyone, I happened to mention to Mike that I thought next weekend's concert would be better, and some guy behind us said that "all the hard cores are here" and I realized he was right, which made me feel better.  In fact, the newspaper had interviewed several people who had travelled from all over the world for this concert.  The music got louder and louder, and then the road opened onto a field surrounded by forest with a backdrop of a beautiful castle, and it was filled with more people than I ever could have imagined.  The stage was so far away I couldn't even see the musicians.  After a little while the Red Hot Chili Peppers came out and people started getting excited.  When they were done a couple hours later, we all waited for U2 to appear.  By the now, the sun was setting in a clear blue sky on a warm evening. 

Finally, the speakers blasted "The Boys are Back in Town" and we all knew what was coming and people bolted to their feet and sang along.

Of course, it only takes a few notes to recognize the sound of the Edge's guitar, and the entire audience was flying!  I've been to two other U2 concerts and I've never seen anything like this.  Everyone was as excited as I was!  Everyone knew every word and beat and note to every song.  People clapped along with the beats never missing the timing changes.  And the singing never stopped during the entire concert!  Bono talked about his Dad, sharing stories, showing pictures of him on the videos screens, including that his Dad inspired his political activisim in the Drop the Debt campaign.  When he dedicated the song "One" to his Dad, the audience passed around lighters and lit their paper Coke cups on fire so that the whole field was filled with firelight like a vigil to the cause.  Then he showed a video of Charlton Heston saying that guns are not bad followed by the song "Bullet the Blue Sky" about war and all the killing in the Americas.  This is why U2 is distinct and their fans so deeply passionate.  There is no other band that has ever combined musical quality, poetic lyrics and political messages with such long-term popular success.  After two encores with all 80,000 people chanting their last song in unison, the concert finally ended with a big fireworks show.  The next day, the front page of all the papers had pictures of Bono at the concert, and the following weekend, instead of mentioning the second concert, the Irish Times included a special supplement of pictures on the concert I went to!  It was one of those experiences you never want to end, and when it does, you try as hard as you can to remember it and bring yourself back.

Hi all , from Edinburgh , Scotland , were still on our " road to discovery " with the band (U2) had some great adventures over the years

And visited some great cities ,amsterdam , Cologne , Milan , Frankfurt and of course all over Britain , some thirty years ago started with coach packages to these events sometimes upto an 14hour coach

Trip just to get to europe ,then back home again But was a great way to attend these concerts , now we hop on a plane and ur there just over an hour , looking forward to seeing U2 soon ,, iv never seen them play Ireland so I'm hoping for another stadium tour , got to see them in their home town and it's only a 25 min flight for me lol ,,,, all the best guys and the new album is magnificent .

Hi there from Greece!

It's 1997, Popmart Tour, the first time i ever saw U2 live...I was waiting for this over 10 years...I was there since 7am and the doors opened at 09:00pm...you can imagine...

At least i entered the place first and was at the first row...Bono was like 5 meters away and i just couldn't believe it...

I forgot to say that the gig was at Thessaloniki, Greece and 1997 was a special year to me cause i founded the first official U2 Fan Club in Greece under the name Desire! Facebook.com/U2FanClubDesire

After 17 years now, i think of that night and seems like a movie in my mind, it's like i wasn't there but i saw it on tape...

Unfortunately, U2 didn't come back to Greece until 2010 in Athens, so given the chance, please, don't forget Greece in the next Tour...we 'll be waiting...

Let' so go back to 1997 though, and the things to remember, except the concert of course!) are 2...First, there was a chance that U2 coudn't perform cause the customs were on strike and the trucks with the stage coming from Sarajevo were stuck at the borders..That critical night we were in a souvlaki shop and when we heard the good news (that the trucks were finally coming) i paid for the meals of all the customers at the shop!! It costed me, but was worth it, no doubt about that!!!

And the second thing to remember was that at the end of the show, after 17 hours on the road, i was so exhausted that it took me 2 hours to get to my room on foot...and the distance was about 2 km.....!

That's all folks from me and don't forget...Greece is waiting for you..

I'm waiting for you...

Yours,

Ioannis Kaiafas a.k.a. Djdoorman and a fan since 1989...

P.S. I'm the guy on the right...waiting with my mates to enter the show, 26/09/1997,Thessaloniki, Greecepost-393400-0-28446300-1412674795_thumb.jpeg

Edited by djdoorman