'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

• Subscriber

#unforgettablegig

What can I say... Friday 29th September, 1989 - Sydney Entertainment Centre. My first U2 Gig. Excited U2 fan. Excited before the band came on. I looked around and I saw Joe O'Herlihy at the mixing desk. From where I was sitting, I left all of my friends and went down to talk to Joe. He was kind and responsive. All of a sudden about four security guards came striding up to me. (The security guards were not very nice. They had the power and they wanted you out!) Whilst chatting to Joe O'Herlihy, these guards wanted to kick me out. Joe was kind enough to tell the guards I was with him and he quietly told me to see him after the gig. I did and he spoke to me for a little while and then gave me the greatest gift ever. A photo with all of the band signing it for me. The gig was unforgettable! Never in my life have I felt so happy to see U2. Every U2 gig after that has been extraordinary. Crew are always great to chat.

post-289778-0-09492000-1412674947_thumb.jpg

post-289778-0-37091100-1412674966_thumb.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dream out loud #unforgettablegig U2 in Dublin, August 27, 1993   This is not about my very first concert (Journey, 1986), nor my very first U2 concert (Atlanta, 1992).  It is about my fourth U2 con

Posted Images

• Subscriber

My first two live gigs:

1. Sting; Dream of the Blue Turtles Tour at Festival Hall in Melbourne. I was 12 years old. I went with my dad and a friend of mine. I remember the stage seeming miles away and the music incredibly loud (although it probably wasn't) and me apologising to dad for Sting swearing throughout the concert - 'I didn't know he'd swear like that, he doesn't swear on the records, promise.'

2. Deep Purple at The Entertainment Centre in Melbourne. Still 12 years old and my friend from the Sting gig had to drop out of going to see The Purp with his dad, so I went in his place. I remember we initially had really good seats and the music seemed incredibly loud (and it was!) and me apologising to my friend's dad for asking that we move right up the back of the hall, where it was maybe a bit quieter - and it wasn't. I sat there for about two hours with my fingers in my ears while my friend's dad wished he was still down the front.

Things looked up significantly in 1989 when Love came to Melbourne Town! I was ready to rock n' roll and I found a band I could stick with for 20+ years now!

Love the new album!

Cheers,

Lloyd

• Subscriber

@@U2Partygirl59I don't have any photos as it was 1978. There were no mobile phones then, but there was something happening with the Dublin music scene. Live gigs, unheard of at the time.McGonagles was where it all started for me. I can still see the decor and feel the excitement and anticipation. It was an extraordinary gig. The crowd (only a few hundred) hung on to every note and lyric. It was something different in our mundane lives. I was a student at the time and had very little money, we used to cycle from Stillorgan to McGonagles and the Baggot Inn. Even though those gigs were 36 years ago i still treasure my memories. Of course i have seen U2 in arenas and stadiums since then.Songs of Innocence remind me also of that era ,perhaps that is why i love the album so much.

#unforgettablegig

post-313556-0-24280600-1412678314_thumb.jpg

Edited by hrlhlkhgkh
  • Subscriber

2005, I heard on the radio U2 are coming to Auckland after 13 years, gotta get tickets, nailed some for the first show through U2.com presale.

Second show announced, gonna go ballistic to get em. End up sitting outside Real Groovy on Queen Street for two days waiting for the box office to open on Monday morning.

A crowd gathers behind me and stretches for about a mile around the block, heaps of coffee, biscuits and burgers bought in to sustain the troops.

Monday morning and I get 4 more for the Saturday show, stoked, hop on the Yamaha and head home. Mum later tells me that a mad U2 fan has just appeared on TV having been holed up outside a record store for two days.

We both laugh, she knows what it means to me.

Night of the show, right at the front of the walkway, with my brothers, and my Mrs, Po going to City of Blinding Lights, being reduced to tears by a beautifully played acoustic version of Walk On.

Spellbound for two or more hours by a blistering set of songs, culminating with Kite, and Bono showing his prowess with the Auckland night breeze.

Fly it high Brother, you da man.

• Subscriber

#unforgettablegig 

In June 2012 I travelled to Dublin just to see Electric Burma concert and specifically Bono perform in front of a small audience at Bord Gais Energy Theatre.

Electric Burma June 18,2012

After the concert was finished I wandered around Hanover Quay Studios with my friend, while U2's song "Pride" was playing out loud on my phone.
All of the sudden a black car stops in front of me, and who comes out? Bono!!! after some photos he walked nearby to the after show party leaving me at one of the 
peaks of my life, changing the gig I just saw from amazing to unforgettable. 

IMG_2487.JPG

• Subscriber

Mi nombre es Esteban, soy de Argentina...

El mejor concierto que viví en mi vida, fue sin dudas la segunda noche de La Plata, ya había estado en la primera, y la adrenalina de la espera previa del show se mezclaba con el cansancio de haber estado esperando en la fila desde las 06:00 AM hasta que abrieran las puertas del estadio.

Lo bueno, era cada tanto escuchar pequeñas pruebas de sonido previas al show era como una nueva dosis de adrenalina!!

Recuerdo que habíamos ido en auto con un amigo, y no sabíamos donde dejarlo debido a la cantidad de gente que había alrrededor, en la fila conocimos a unas personas que estaban en la misma situación con su auto, recuerdo que terminamos dejando nuestros autos en la casa de un desconocido que se hizo de unos billetes extra por dejarnos entrar nuestros autos en su casa.

Terminamos muy muy cansados, ya que vivo a unos 100Km del estadio de La Plata, y habíamos salido a las 3:00 AM de mi casa, y llegamos a las 06:00 Am del día siguiente!!

Sin dudas el esfuerzo, la espera en la fila y el sufrimiento de manejar muy cansado al regreso valieron la pena!!

Dejo la foto que más aprecio de esa noche!!!

(english translation) : 

My name is Stephen, I am from Argentina ... 

The best concert I experienced in my life, was undoubtedly the second night of La Plata, and had been in the first, and adrenaline prior expected the show mingled with fatigue have been waiting in line since 06 : 00 AM to open the doors of the stadium.

The good thing was every so listen little evidence of pre-show sound was like a new dose of adrenaline !! 

I remember that we had been in a car with a friend, and did not know where to leave because of the amount of people there already, we met some people who were in the same situation with your car, remember we ended leaving our cars in house of a stranger who made ​​a few extra bucks for letting us into our cars at home.

We ended up very tired, since I live about 100km from La Plata stadium, and we were out at 3:00 am from my house, and arrived at 06:00 am the next day !! 

Undoubtedly the effort, waiting in line and suffering too tired to handle the return worth it !! 

Here is the picture I appreciate most about that night !!!

IMG_0160.jpg

• Subscriber

1985, August 25th, Cork, Ireland.

A free gig was happening near Cork city in a place called the "Lee Fields",(by the river Lee) where some local acts were playing, it was my very first gig, I was 16 years old.

It was not far from where I lived, so I headed down there with some friends. The event was called "Lark By The Lee"

The stage was the back of a long truck, and maybe 2 to 3 thousand people standing in a field watching it.

Towards the end of the schedule, an announcement was made, that a very special surprise was happening shortly, and to wait.

Next onstage was Dave Fanning, who introduced the band, holly shit, the crowd went mental, everyone was jumping. Some people could not take the excitement and fainted.

It was unreal, but fantastically exciting.

They came onstage and gave around an hour long set, absolutely mindblowing. I'll never forget that first U2 gig I attended.

Live Aid only happened a few weeks before that.

I met U2 sound engineer Joe O'Herlihy years later,(around 2003) and showed him the picture below, and he autographed it for me, he was doing the sound on the day for the whole gig.

I have seen U2 on every tour since that day forward. Of the 20 U2 gigs I have attended all around Ireland,  Europe and the U.S.,

that first one in my hometown of Cork, back in 1985 is always going to be that bit extra special.

post-286701-0-07336400-1412680242_thumb.jpg

post-286701-0-77698900-1412680268_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

#unforgettablegig

firstly a bit of background about the show that I will never forget and one that I almost did not attend.

In 1985 I was 7 or 8 years old and I loved Michael Jackson. that year he came to my city to purchase the

rights to The Beatles catalouge from Robert Holmes A Court. a part of the deal was that Michael had to  

appear on the Perth Telethon which raises money for a children's hospital. sadly he didn't perform on the

Telethon, in fact he hardly spoke, he was so shy.

He made an appearance outside the now demolished Perth Entertainment Centre & my parents took me.

there must've been at least 3000 people there. there's a video of it on youtube, if you look in the crowd,

you may be able to see a bright yellow hat in the middle... well, that's me :D he he

11 years later (1996) I no longer listen to Michael, U2 are my favourite band & I'd just started listening to MetallicA.

it was December & Michael had arrived in Perth to do 3 shows for his HIStory World Tour at the now demolished Burswood Dome.

though I was no longer really a fan, I was curious about the concert and my brother and I bought tickets the day before the

2nd show. our seats were in the nose bleed section but that didn't matter because the stage was huge and the video

screens filled the Dome. unfortunetly I have no photos to share.

this was my first concert ever. the show was amazing, it blew my mind! :blink: he arrived onstage in a rocket which was just fantastic.

seeing Michael Jackson perform 'Billy Jean' live took me back to being a kid (even though I was only 19) which is still a kid, kind of.

he walked out onstage with a small suitcase & places it on a table, he gets "the glove" out and the crowd go nuts :D

he was flawless, I don't know which performance I liked better 'Smooth Criminal' or 'Billy Jean', amazing songs, brilliant artist.

I bought myself a tour shirt but wore it out, the ribbing fell apart etc. so this is all I have left from the show, my ticket. that and memories B)

MJHIStoryticket_zps056370d6.jpg

Edited by BigBunny
  • Subscriber

#unforgettablegig

My first concert experience !!!

It was 2009, I bought tickets for two days at the Local B'Est Fest in Bucharest...What concerts did those turn out to be !!! There were several artist who played every night culminating with a major artist as the final concert.

On the first night the major artist was Franz Ferdinand !

On the Second night the huge artist was none other than the Rock Legend Santana, the one who played on the same stage with Jimi Hendrix at WoodStock and one of my favourite artists !!!

Of course some other smaller bands/solo artists played in between, like : Oceana, Gabriela Cilmi and the Klaxons, which were supposed to play but here's the funny thing...

I was walking through the concert venue and I heard Klaxons were talking to people and giving autographs but I though "Weren't they supposed to be playing right now?"...I walked up to their booth and had a chat with every member of the band, they were very nice and talkative...They told me their equipment got lost on the Romanian roads...got stolen or something, nobody knew exactly what happened...We had a laugh about the whole thing, they gave away autographs to everyone who came...Here's mine :

Klaxons Autographs

Another cute photo I choose is one form Gabriela Cilmi's performance:

Gabriela Cilmi

One other fun fact is that I bought tickets which were for a certain area (cheaper), second closest area to the stage and since no one checked my ticket I got to sit right up front, I got the best spot for the Franz Ferdinand concert, they were amazing...

Alex Kapranos greeted us in Romanian and he told us he likes Romanian beer way better than what they have in the UK...and also our girls....
After his band's show I met him at the Artist's Spot when exiting the concert venue...He was drinking some Romanian beer...We shook hands, he again pointed out how much he loves the Romanian beer...I got his autograph and told him "What a great band, Franz Ferdinand" (I Quoted Bono)-He smiled and went off in a rush...couldn't take a photo with him...here's the autograph :

Alex Kaprano's Autograph

Some photos from the performance (at the end of the set they threw the drum sticks into the audience, I almost caught one...but it slipped...):

Franz Ferdinand in concert

FF2

FF4

FF5

FF6

On the last night of this set of concerts, I was in the first row again, of course....Santana was about to kick-start his European Leg of the tour in just an hour....

Words cannot express what happened during his performance...it was an all-encompassing experience of the senses !!!

At 61, his age at the moment, Santana played as if he was 21 !!!

We shouted like completely wild animals for the Encore (a 2nd performance of Corazon Espinado) and he played it like there was NO tomorrow !!! Never Ending massive guitar-solos...his band-members were at the top of their game also....Incredible !

Here are some photos....I have many more, I choose these:

Santana 1

Santana 2

Santana 3

Santana 4

Santana Corazon Espinado - Encore

In the photo where Santana points to his head, he was playing a peaceful song..he was calling out for love and peace in the world, no more wars !!!

He told us that his music is a Shamanic Type of Experience...that he was there to Heal our Souls...and Boy did he do it !!!!!

I hope you all enjoyed my story....I might Edit and add facts if I remember more from those nights !!!

Chris

PS : Here's me on the first day of concerts

Me on the First Concert Day

Edited by pain_18_
  • Subscriber

I first heard on U2 when I was in tenth grade on a trip to a model UN club meeting in Syracuse NY in 1984. One of our classmates was a big U2 fan... I had not really been exposed to a lot of U2 at that point. We had decided to skip the model UN meeting that night as we heard that the band was playing in a club right down the road from the hotel that we were staying in. We ran down to the club and could hear the band from inside, but only being 16 at the time, the bouncers would not let us pass through the front door. The band was raw and edgy... I was hooked from the first song that I heard all though muffled from the street noise outside. Sadly, I never saw them that night.

Several years later in college at Umass Amherst, my neighbor next door to us was a huge U2 fan. She would crank U2 at all hours of the night. The more I heard of them, the more I became a fan! I remember one night, at the end of the fall semester, sitting in my room watching the snow fall outside my dorm window. "Running to stand still" played on the tape deck behind me. Then and there I was connected to the song, to the moment, to what U2 songs made me think and feel. It still is my favorite song.

Right after college I met my soulmate. Our first date was putting old 45 records on the juke box in her parents college bar. We were connected by music, the "Joshua tree album" our anthem. The first birthday gift she got for me was tickets to see U2 at knickerbocker arena in Albany NY. Our seats were great, the band sounded awesome, and the night could not have been more perfect. We now have seen them in Toronto, boston, Maryland, NY, and Hawaii. We have twice tried to bring our kids to the show and twice the show has been cancelled. The first in Hawaii- which my wife and I then flew back for a 3 day trip from NY to see them when they rescheduled in December that year and the second in Toronto. Both of our kids are huge u2 fans to carry on the legacy of our passion for the band and the music. We hope that this tour... this time... as a family we can see the world's greatest band so that they can share the memories with their kids some day!!