'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

bigwave

• Subscriber
It was amazing to open my email box and see #unforgettablegig challenge and know that the best and first show that marked my life was U2. 

It started when I was 12 and won the 1980 -1990 CD and already in the first chord was totally in love. 
The love was growing up and I followed all releases, I started collecting CDs and DVDs! I've always been very connected to the music, and oddly enough, every step of my life is marked by a U2 song. 

In 2006 when U2 came to Brazil with the Vertigo tour, I was 15 and no condition to go to their show, remember I was on the sofa crying for not being there in that amazing moment. When my father hugged me and said that next time they come to Brazil, he would take me. 

In January 2009, I completely lost the will to live when my father died in an accident. I heard no more music, no skirt, did not talk and was just 18. 
One day, I keep a few things in my reading room and saw there, standing and fully enlightened, my compilation album of U2. 
But that's quick, grabbed the first CD I saw in front and started listening. And coincidentally or not, was playing With or Without, it was the music that played on the guitar while my father was listening, and soon Sometimes You Can Make On Your Oun which is totally the song that I sing every day for my father my hero! 

In 2011 the brand U2 tour in Brazil, and then the dream gig of the band that got me out of a deep depression, and of course, I would fulfill the promise of my father, I would go to the U2 concert and knew he would be there with me , enjoying every moment. 
Were three days waiting in line at Morumbi - São Paulo and then the gates opened and I only thought about running. When I arrived at my place was out of breath and it took me to realize that I was in the front row of the stadium, stuck in the grid, face to face with the stage. The feeling was unique, I was realizing a dream, a promise, and yet where I started dating the man who is now my fiance. And of course, when touched In a little while, we kissed for the first time. 
And in 2016 will go to the church with this same song marking our unity! 
But I hope a show in Brazil before that date, because I want to do the "save the date" for my wedding in the middle of the U2 concert 

Someone has doubt as U2 is important in my life? 
How much they helped me without even knowing me? 

Thank you for simply exist, Larry, Adam, Bono and The Edge! 

#unforgettablegig - 360 Tour Brazil

Foi incrível abrir minha caixa de e-mail e ver o desafio #unforgettablegig e saber que o melhor e primeiro show que marcou minha vida foi do U2.

Tudo começou quando eu tinha 12 anos e ganhei o CD 1980 -1990 e já nos primeiros acordes estava totalmente apaixonada.

A amor foi crescendo e eu acompanhava todos os lançamentos, comecei a colecionar CDs e DVDs! Sempre fui muito ligada a música, e por incrível que pareça, cada etapa da minha vida é marcada por uma música do U2.

Em 2006 quando U2 veio para o Brasil com a turnê Vertigo, eu tinha 15 anos e sem nenhuma condição de ir ao show deles, lembro que fiquei no sofá da sala chorando por não estar ali naquele momento incrível. Quando meu pai, me abraçou e disse que na próxima vez que eles viessem para o Brasil, ele iria me levar.

Em Janeiro de 2009, eu perdi totalmente a vontade de viver quando meu pai faleceu em um acidente. Eu não ouvia mais música, não saia, não conversava e tinha apenas 18 anos.

Um certo dia, fui guardar algumas coisas na minha sala de leitura e vi ali, parado e totalmente iluminado, minha coletania do U2.

Mas do que rápido, peguei o primeiro CD que vi na frente e comecei ouvir. E por coincidentemente ou não, estava tocando With or Without, que era a música que tocava no violão enquanto meu pai ficava ouvindo, e logo depois Sometimes You Can Make On Your Oun que é totalmente a música que canto todos os dias para o meu pai, meu heroi!

Em 2011 o U2 marca turnê no Brasil, e então o tão sonhado show da banda que me tirou de uma depressão profunda e é claro, eu iria cumprir a promessa do meu pai, eu iria ao show do U2 e sabia que ele estaria ali comigo, curtindo cada momento.

Foram 3 dias esperando na fila do Morumbi - São Paulo e então os portões se abriram e eu só pensava em correr. Quando cheguei no meu lugar estava sem folego e demorei para perceber que eu estava na primeira fileira do estadio, grudada na grade, frente a frente com o palco. A sensação foi única, eu estava realizando um sonho, uma promessa, e ainda foi onde eu comecei a namorar o homem que hoje é meu noivo. E é claro, quando tocou In a little while, nós nos beijamos pela primeira vez.

E em 2016 entrarei na igreja com essa mesma música marcando nossa união!

Mas espero um show no Brasil antes dessa data, pois quero fazer o " save the date " do meu casamento no meio do show do U2

Alguém tem dúvida de como o U2 é importante em minha vida?

No quanto eles me ajudaram sem ao menos me conhecer?

Obrigada simplesmente por existirem, Larry, Adam, The Edge and Bono!

#unforgettablegig - 360º tour Brasil

Edited by aline_perez

• Subscriber

My first vivid concert memory come's in 1987.Im a young obsessed U2 fanatic like many young kid's my age around that period.Me a life long fan first heard U2 in my mate's older brother's room in 1982 and from the opening cord's of Electric Co and the hair's on the back of my neck standing to attention this was the musical release I was looking for.So missing out mainly to being too young in 1984 I missed two amazing nights at the Glasgow Barrowlands still one of the greatest venues worldwide.I had decided Wembley Stadium on the Joshua Tree Tour was not to be missed.So saving for what seemed like forever,picking whelks at the seaside and selling them finally gave me the cash to afford going to see my heroes and to this day the opening line of the John Lennon Classic Stand By Me almost make's me cry with emence pride on loving one of the greatest live band's ever.And I at the last count have been fortunate enough to see them 45 time's live all around Europe and feel blessed by the spiritual live experience U2 give me!!! I WILL ALWAY'S FOLLOW

• Subscriber

Sao Paolo, Brazil, March 31 2013, Lollapalooza Festival, Pearl Jam Concert.

I went to see a lot of bands in this festival, but Special Pearl Jam that is my second best band ever (first, of course, is U2). Around 30 minutes before the gig start, I saw a gentlemen walking in the crowd and people not recognizing him... So, I got my girlfriend and camera and as him polite to take a picture with him, and he accept. Was a dream come true when a meet Mr. Adam Clayton in Pearl Jam Gig. #unforgettablegig

post-291276-0-60668500-1412683795_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

#unforgettablegig 
U2 Popmart tour on 6 September 1997 in Paris (Parc des Princes). First show ever! 
Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop Muzik, Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop Muzik... The crowd is cut in two by a passage. I'm near the stage. I'm watching the band walking on the big screen.
Someone grabs my hand and pass in front of me: I suddenly realise it's Bono himself. For a seventeen year's old person, it's a big deal. 
Then, Mofo rings and my heart's speeding. Several Bodies crowd wave above me, some for the fun, other because they loose consciousness. 
A young girl behind me looks not very well. I let her pass in front of me. In fact, she is ok, all she wants is to see the band closer... Me too.
Since, I never missed a single live show in Paris. 

Cloni from Paris

• Subscriber

22 September 2010 in Brussels. I know U2 for many years but in September 2010 I saw them for the first time. That evening made a big imprint in my heart and soul. I was overwhelmed by what I saw and expierenced. Suddenly it all came together, all the U2 songs that I knew before started to be alive in myself. I had many emotions during the concert. I cried, I laught, I was quiet, I screamed my lungs out, I was worshipping, I jumped!. From that evening on U2 became alive in my belief, in my heart and soul. After the concert I said to God: 'God, if this is heaven, I absolutely want to be there!!'.

Blessings to you all. John

• Subscriber

U2 360 Turin 06.Aug.2010

My first U2 show and it remains to the day, the most memorable day/night of my life. The whole experience of being part of the biggest show ever made was amazing.To travel all the way from Mauritius (12 hour flight to Italy) just to see U2, stunned quite a few Italians but it's the only place i had scored tickets to. Queueing up, the wait, for more than 24 hours, to end up right in front (6 Feet away) of your favourite band was priceless. Met some amazing people there. The 2 days/nights prior to the show was most probably the greatest moment for me. The night before the show, I stood up outside the stadium with a couple of friends and a few other fans until very late at night, around 1:30am. The band finally came out and Larry treated fans with pizza's. I was able to exchange a few quick words with Bono while he signed a few autographs and we shook hands. I managed to get some great shots of him. The show itself was awesome, Italian fans are really passionate, which made the night even more exciting. There was a couple of surprises in the set-list, got the priviledge to see them play North star and Glastonbury for the very first time. To resume, the whole thing was simply incredible and it all remains vividly in my mind/heart. Looking forward to seeing them Live again, hopefully very soon! 

BONO IN TORINO!!!

One Band ♥

With Or Without You

ONE

• Subscriber

Milano - Forum di Assago -  21st may 1992

Me and a friend of mine met a guy in the bathroom and we noticed that he had a pass: he was a member of the technical staff. We decided to follow him like we were together, we passed throught the security gate and we reached a door. This guy opened the door and Bono was inside this little room, he was like singing something, maybe doing exercises. As soon as the guy opened the door Bono told me: who are you? A big fan of you Bono - I said!! The guy turned back his head..... he didn't even check that we were following him. The security, obviously, take us away and the guy, so surprised got very mad with us!! I was sorry for that guy, but i got a big emotion.

P.S.: Sorry for my english !!

"Hold me close
Like I’m someone that you might know" and give me this Vinyl Special..... Please :-)

• Subscriber

Have been to a good few U2 shows but slane castle 1 September stands out.the whole day .we got there early .the stunning,nelly furtado,ash,Moby brought on fr dougal of fr ted fame on stage.ireland had beaten holland in a World Cup qualifier.the atmosphere built up through the day.when U2 arrived on stage the place went mental.they played out of control I was up near The front I remember turning around and seeing a sea of people go crazy.also seen David bowie in Dublin 97 he was going through drum/ bass phase and was playing a lot of the earthling album but this night he played more of classic single set,jean genie,changes,fame,under pressure to hear those songs in such a small venue is something I'll never forget.still have the ticket stub.

• Subscriber

ZOO TV BABY - Believe

It was 1992

I was 17 years of age.

Until then i had only heard my older brother rave about the Joshua Tree.

I liked simple minds, but was still finding an identity in many areas of my life including music, girls  :wub: , and relationships. Zoo TV had just been announced and i had bought Achtung baby to try out this band U2 a few months earlier.. 

I had the opportunity to camp out and queue for tickets overnight for the European leg of the tour at Sheffield arena to take place on the 17th June 1992.  We queued to get the tickets which we were allocated the morning after. I recall i was number 81 out of many thousands. The indoor arena at Sheffield was fantastic, only to be made much more exciting by the fact we were close to the front and Bono took my sunglasses from my head during a song (Bad a think), He then wore them for part of the song. He wore his elvis style suit and his fly shades using my dark shades to finish his look.

This was my first u2 gig ever, in fact my first gig ever, and most definitely the best. I have tried for many years to see if anyone had any footage of this gig bit have been so far unsuccessful If anyone has anything such as photos, videos etc it would allow many of my friends to finally believe that it did actually happen. If not I still have the memories, which is what this post is all about i guess. What we take from these gigs is often personal and special so after many years i am not too disappointed. .Come on U2.com help me out if you can, it would be nice. 

This gig changed my life, in many ways. It gave me a feeling of purpose, in terms of who i was, what i liked, and how people came to see me. So far its been a good foundation for my adult life. These experiences seem to shape you whether you like it or not. For me this was the one.

Cheers U2 for this, and all the memories since

Rick Spence (Manchester, UK)

Sadly it was during the days prior to camera phones and i didnt have a camera with me, although a man in the seat Behind me told me he took pics and would send them to me after exchanging addresses. He never did.

• Subscriber

Saturday 3rd November 1984. Hours before doors open I'm queuing outside the Brixton Academy theatre London with my girlfriend (karenb) in anticipation of our first U2 gig. Tickets were a pricey £5 plus 30p booking fee but hey it's U2 and it's our first U2 live experience.

Doors open and we rush to the front of the all standing lower tier of the theatre. It was a cold November's day so we're glad to be in the warmth of the theatre but in our desperation to get to the front we've made no attempt to find cloakrooms and discard any outdoor winter clothing.

Approximately 9:00PM U2 take to the stage. 11 O'clock Tick Tock, we're off!  "It's cold outside" sings Bono, "it gets so hot in here" reply 5000 U2 fans. They're not joking it really is hot in the Brixton Academy tonight. The sweat is dripping off the walls! And the place is bouncing (I mean literally, a few gigs earlier on the tour a U2 gig, in Belgium I believe, had registered on the Richter scale).

Four songs in my girlfriend is feeling the combined effects of the heat of the venue, the warm winter clothing and the surge of the crowd behind us. I'm getting a little worried she may pass out. I've made direct eye contact with Greg Carroll several times now and his body language is telling me he is about to come to the rescue. The concern I have for her must be written all over my face! Now I'm really worried - but not for my girlfriend - I truly believe we're close to being hauled out and missing the rest of the gig!

MLK arrives like a saviour: less crush at the front enabling me to perform something resembling the Heimlich manoeuvre on my girlfriend, a cool breeze arrives from backstage, hits the front row of the Academy like angel breath and my girlfriend sparks into life to enjoy rest of the gig.

To this day whenever we are attempting to get tickets for a gig and have the choice of seated or standing we still have the 'debate' with me choosing standing (just so I can experience that atmosphere again) and my now wife of 27 years opting for seating.

Edited by karenb