'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

bigwave

• Subscriber

My most memorable concert experience?  Easy. Elvis Presley at the Rochester War Memorial on May 25, 1977. I was 12 years old and the King was going to be six short blocks from my house. He was going to ride in a limo through my neighborhood streets – the same streets I walked every day on the way to school.  He might see where I lived.  He might even comment to those with him that he bet a real nice boy lived in that house.  Elvis!!!!  Every day I pleaded with my mother to take me.  “We’ll see” is all the reply she’d give me.  As the day approached I couldn’t focus at school, I couldn’t sleep through the night.  I could not wait to see the man whose face I’d seen on all those album covers and who looked so cool in all those movies.  The big day with Elvis came…and went.  Though I didn’t realize it at the time, we were a poor family and a $15 ticket was more than my mother could ever afford.  I missed the Elvis concert.  Miss him singing “Hound Dog” and “Teddy Bear” and “Heartbreak Hotel.”  I missed the hip shaking, scarf throwing, stutter talking, King of Rock and Roll.  I didn’t get even to see a limo drive by my house.  I didn’t get to see anything.  And then Elvis up and died a few months later.  The most memorable concert for me?  The one I never saw.

But wait…this story has a happy ending!  All was not lost.  When my son was young and showed the same interest in music that I had at his age, I determined to do everything in my power to help him avoid having a similar Elvis moment in his life.  He’s now 19 years old and has been to well over 300 concerts.  Some of the many great performers he has seen: Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Jack White, Willie Nelson, Kiss, Buddy Guy, The Darkness, Roger Waters, Gogol Bordello, The Pixies, Frightened Rabbit, Glen Campbell, Paul McCartney, The Who, Placido Domingo, John Fogerty, Josh Ritter, Robert Plant, My Morning Jacket, Rancid, Rodriquez, Weird Al Yankovic (!), The Rolling Stones, Screeching Weasel, Motorhead, Bob Mould, Foo Fighters, Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips, Los Lobos, Rammstein, Arcade Fire, Beck, Childish Gambino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Mallonee, Black Keys, Neutral Milk Hotel, Wynton Marsalis, Gordon Lightfoot, Green Day, The Proclaimers, The Monkees, Jim James, Danny Elfman, The Fratellis, Joan Jett, No Doubt, Blink 182, Owl City, MGMT, Dead Weather, The Scorpions, Weezer, My Chemical Romance, Eric Johnson, Lady Gaga, Todd Rundgren, Death Cab for Cutie, Nick Lowe, Chuck Berry, Blondie, X, Aerosmith, Cheap Tick, Bruce Springsteen, The Killers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Swamp Dogg, Alice Cooper, B.B. King, Kraftwerk, Spoon and…U2!  And do you know what?  All of them were memorable.  All of them were special in some way.  And the spark that lit this fire was a 12 year old boy missing the first concert he ever really cared about. Sometimes life’s greatest disappointments do turn to beauty in the end.

• Subscriber

April 19, 1981 - A 14 year old me hanging out with a friend and stuck with his older brother who works at a place by the Ohio State campus. Because he's responsible for us we have to tag along while he works and try to stay out of trouble and the way. So here we are, sitting around in the backstage area of The Agora acting all cool like we run the place and we're something special while we watch a crew of guys setting up equipment, running wires, and checking instruments. These guys are super cool taking time out to talk with a couple of kids and letting us help a bit. Their Irish accents are awesome! They're almost finished when this dude with a freaky blonde afro come by and checks out the bass. We say hi and discover he is the bass player for the band. Cool!

A  few minutes later, some scrawny guy comes out and begins fidgeting with the guitars on stage. We're guessing he's the guitarist (duh) so we say hi to him. Now this guy is really cool, talking with us, telling us about his time in the States, where he's been and going, asking us about the music we listen to (mostly crap at this stage in life), do we play instruments, just making small talk. After a few minutes, the two of them head back to a room and my friend and I go to get some snacks. After a while, the big brother comes and tells us to get back stage and quit bugging everyone, so we do.

The two musician we met earlier are with two more guys now. I am so enthralled by their accents and so badly want to be Irish. Being kids, we ignore the brother and start talking to these guys again. It's really cool that they willing to sit around before a show shooting the breeze with a couple of goofy kids. It's at this point that I finally ask the guys the name of their band. U2, what a weird name, like the plane I surmised. They go off to get ready for their show and tell us to enjoy the show. I figure they can't be that great because I've never heard them on the radio (again, stupid kid), but figure it doesn't matter because I'm backstage at a concert on campus; I'm on top of the world.

We goof around for a while until the show's about to start. Cue the music. HOLY CRAP! This is like nothing I have ever heard before in my life. The most awesome sounds coming from the cool looking guitar, the thud of the drums shaking the walls, bass reverberating through my bones, and that singer with the weird name, I forget it but it was something Latin (which I'm taking at Catholic school). My friend wants to go screw around some more, but I am in awe and not about to go anywhere. I'm hooked (for life as it turns out). After the show, I get the chance to tell them that I loved the music, the show, them, etc. - I was star struck, mesmerized. This was the night that I left the 70's FM rock world behind and embraced the future of music. My only regret is (it didn't matter at the time, but I am kicking myself now) that I didn't ask for autographs. Oh yea now I remember, Bono is the guy's name. It means good.

#unforgettablegig

Edited by ThetaTwo

• Subscriber

I have always been a fan music in my young and listen U2.

U2 , I heard on the radio, on cassettes (good times) or on vinyl of friends but never purchased

because I thought that work as Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and others were within the reach of all, and not too many of one thing to keep in my heart like a treasure.

Then one day along with my girlfriend purchased a tickets for the U2 concert in Reggio Emilia - Pop Mart Tour 20 September 1997.

It was shock, love at first view or first listen

“ Heard a song that made some sense out of the world.

Since then I opened up a world, I began to want, to desire any work of this phenomenal group.

17 years after what was a small gathering has become a collection that covers an entire room.

I consider myself a very lucky person because I could not buy much everything, more 'and more' times listen to U2 live in many parts of Europe and every time is like the first.

Regardless of all ... thanks

ps: What was my girlfriend as become my wife.

Now I do not hair. ;) post-354072-0-81565100-1412695142_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-89599700-1412695166_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-66172000-1412695183_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-42710300-1412695199_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

My first concert of U2 was during the PopMart tour at the espace Gramont in Montpellier. An amazing souvenir because I had only fifteen years old, the sound was very loud there was impressive for me because at this time I had only assist at inside live. The crowd was incredible, they came from a lot of different countries, I think that this date have reinforced me to be a U2 fan.

• Subscriber

The gig that blew my socks off was my first one, when I saw U2 for the first time in Manchester on the Vertigo Tour on June 14, 2005.

I was seventeen years old (young, not dumb, just willing to be blinded) and got into U2 with 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', narrowly missing the 'Elevation' Tour 2001. I kicked myself for the remaining three years for my tardiness. Yet on a happy November in 2004, I had my first experience of queueing up to buy a new U2 album. 

I was such a nerd I did all my college work in advance and got my tutors' approval to take the day off. I got the train at 8am and queued outside the City of Manchester Stadium and got locked into an enclosure which would allow those who were standing to get inside the front pit. And then - lo and behold! - my first ever U2 merchandise stand. Four years of waiting, and at last I could buy a U2 T Shirt! 

I snuck around with my friend only to find my wallet, resplendent with my £70 monthly wages from a retail job I had at the time, was not in my pocket. A frenzied search later, and it was nowhere to be found. I returned, dejected, to the enclosure when an older lady patted me on the arm and gave me my wallet back. I think it says everything you need to know about U2 fans that not a penny was missing, and I bought her a Vertigo flashing neon badge to say thank you. 

The gig itself was amazing. I was right at the front with my best friend, who I was best man to last year, and right in front of Adam. I have never been so blown away and it was an incredible introduction to live music. I would later go on to be a music journalist at University, go to more gigs than I could count and go to Leeds Festival and Glastonbury, but that gig will always be an incredible introduction, and I was lucky when a Security guard gave me Adam's setlist at the end!

I woke up at the moment when the Manchester Occured!

#unforgettablegig

• Subscriber

Easter 2009, when I was 10 years old, I wrote a letter to Bruce Springsteen´s management. The letter including a foto of me and Bruce when I met him the summer before. In the letter I asked him to play hungry heart at the consert I was going to in Bergen summer of 2009 which would be my 3rd show with him. I also asked to dance with him during the song Dancing in the Dark. He never wrote back but I still had "High Hopes". Just to be sure I made a poster with my wish of dancing with him on. I travelled to Bergen and started queing the night before the show. I was about the first hundred in the que. After a long day of queing finally the show started. I was in the front row and Bruce noticed me in the second song. He nodded and smiled to me. It was a faboulus night and a great great show! When Bruce´s personal life guard placed himselves in front of me when the song Dancing in the Dark started, I knew something special would happen. At the end of Dancing in the Dark Bruce came to pick me up to dance with him!! It was an amazing experience for a ten year old girl.post-575673-0-00035600-1412697094_thumb.jpgpost-575673-0-71120700-1412697193_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber
360 Tour 2009 - Croke Park#2 / Dublin

All the way up from Argentina to Ireland! Just to see them live at their home...
It was My first time in Dublin and i was lucky enough to get Edge's pick!

#unforgettablegig #U2inDublin #Edge'spick

DUBLIN 2009

• Subscriber

“Wow! I have seat U2.”  My sister’s boyfriend had the special seat.  How did I miss that?  But it was a night that changed MY life.  I dragged them to see the hot Irish band that I’d been following on MTV.  The new videos from “War” seemed dark and serious.  I didn’t know what to expect.

They had at me at “Out of Control”.    Pure, raw energy.  I was caught up in a force that I’ve never felt before.  And U2 wanted EVERYONE to feel it.

During “An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart” I made my way into the aisle to take a few pictures.  Why am I the only one standing?  They were filming the show, and the front was clogged with camera equipment.  Bono didn’t like it.  He stopped the show and asked all the camera people to come up on stage.  “I need the front row,” he said.

I don’t even know how it happened, but the next moment I was at the stage.  Alone?  No, I was with my four new Irish friends and they were with me.  The barrier was broken and we were all spinning in a musical, physical, spiritual, emotional vortex.  No bell and whistles, just four guys performing like it was their last show.  It was stunning.  I couldn’t believe how amazing they were, and how deeply I was moved.

I leaned against the lobby wall of the Capitol Theatre - dimly hearing the ethereal sounds of Clannad mixed with the chorus of “40” being sung by fans spilling out into the street. I felt euphoric, like I had just witnessed an incredible event.  My sister was chewing me out for leaving them when I stopped her and said, “Can you believe what we just saw?  These guys are gonna be huge!”  Never in my wildest dreams did I realize how huge.  Nor did I imagine the impact U2 would have on my life, and how very proud I am to call myself a fan.  Seat U6? – Glad I took it.

#unforgettablegig

post-287191-0-86194000-1412698846_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-20305700-1412698860_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-70888000-1412698875_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-40726200-1412698902_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-83743100-1412698921_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-62441800-1412698943_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-47834200-1412700381_thumb.jpg

Edited by JackieD