'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

• Subscriber

Pearl Jam had been really hard to see in the US because of their TicketMaster boycott.  My last year of college was their return to major venue touring.  I scraped together some dough and a couple of close friends and we headed to the show in Indianapolis.  The night started off with a guy peeing on my friends leg- enough said about that incident- but ended on a super high note.  This was the night that President Bill Clinton admitted to the sex scandal with Monica Lewinski! Pearl Jam is a pretty activist oriented band in their own right and actually stopped the show and lowered a screen so they could show the press event.  Afterwords, Eddie Vedder read the transcripts of the parts we missed and then dedicated the next song to Hilary- Betterman.  The entire event was crazy and would stick in my mind forever if that were the end of the story.  Sadly, I lost one of those close friends to a senseless act of violence about 3 years after that.  The fact that Charles was there with me that night is just one of the many reasons he stays in my heart today.  The night we dressed up in full make-up to see the Kiss reunion show is another, but I guess I only get one gig to choose from!  Thanks to all of you who read this far and 'Miss you Charles!.'

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dream out loud #unforgettablegig U2 in Dublin, August 27, 1993   This is not about my very first concert (Journey, 1986), nor my very first U2 concert (Atlanta, 1992).  It is about my fourth U2 con

Posted Images

• Subscriber

May 20, 2001. My first U2 show. My best friend's brother flew in from Florida to California for the show and we head down to San Jose from San Francisco. We get to the venue a few hours early to soak in the surroundings and as my friend hands me my ticket, I notice it was for the show the previous night. Heartbroken, we try the box office. Nothing. We call the ticket broker who sold us the tickets. There's nothing he could do. Dejected and thinking we are out of options, we put together a sign looking for tickets...and suddenly, our luck changes as all three of us somehow are able to score tickets from some kind folks heading to the show who didn't want to let their extras get in the hands of scalpers. We went from being dejected to elated in a matter of minutes - the night's showing was amazing and one I will never forget. #‎unforgettablegig‬

• Subscriber

On sept. 30, 1997, I was almost 6 month pregnant when U2 showed in Tel Aviv and I was there with my hysterical husband who was watching my belly while I danced, sang and enjoyed my FIRST U2 show. We were in front of the stage....I was like in a dream...the first best one. And whem the Edge sang Dancing Queen it was like magic and until today, 17 trs later, my daughter, that was with me (inside of me), love this version of the dancing queen. Unfortunatly, I don't have any pictures from this particullary show, but I will never forget it. Love U2!!! Kss, Samantha #unforgettablegig

Edited by Tipinha222
  • Subscriber

October 7, 1992.  Birmingham, Alabama.  I was 19 years old and it was my third U2 show, but the first two had been out of town.  At this show were all of my friends at the time, and virtually everyone who didn't live in a cave was in attendance in the state.  I had 7th row seats right in front of Bono's microphone, which were the best seats in the house (seats closer to the very tall stage blocked one's view of Larry). I had learned from the two previous shows I'd seen about the confessional booth set up on the back of the floor.  I made my way to the booth and tried to think of something clever to say.  I was told that 4 or 5 people's images/confessions would be shown on the gigantic ZooTV screens, so I really wanted badly to be chosen.  What I said was nowhere near a truthful confession, but it worked!  I was seen by everyone I knew and by thousands of strangers saying, "I've always wanted to have sex with a priest in a confessional."  For weeks afterwards I would run across random strangers who would say, "Hey, aren't you the U2 priest girl?"  Luckily, I don't embarrass easily..haha.  After that the local newspaper interviewed me.  The next day on the front page the headline was my quote and my name appeared next to Bono dressed as The Fly.  It was amazing!  I even registered to vote in my first presidential election at that show.  I will never forget it!  I have since seen 39 more shows, all of which are unique and mindblowing.  Can't wait to see/hear the new songs live!  Thank you for being the soundtrack to my life, U2!

Jen Larson

New Orleans, LA

• Subscriber

#unforgettablegig Wow, where do I start? Would the most unforgettable gig in my life (and I am a really regular concert-goer) be U2 in October 2001 in Baltimore? So little time after 9-11 and me being an expatriate in the US (I originate from Germany) and having experienced this tragedy without family or close friends in a foreign country, this concert was so soothing and emotional that I will never forget it. Or would it be seeing Kate Bush live on stage just last month? A dream of thirty years coming true - and I was not the only one bursting into tears several times during the show.
Well, I think my most unforgettable gig will be U2 playing Gelsenkirchen on 12 June 2005. Odd choice you might think but this gig truly changed my life! It was the first time I ever met people from "my" forum (u2-forum.com; forum of u2tour.de, the biggest German-speaking fansite around) personally. I had never done anything like that before but we agreed in our forum to meet to queue for the concert around midnight - and most certainly were in front of one of the lines for GA. I am the one in the middle of the picture, sporting the Larry Mullen Band shirt :) During the long wait (which did not feel long) I got to meet so many new people and had so much fun. The show was just a blast! We ended up on the catwalk on Adam's side and the concert was fantastic!

But that's not the end of the story, not by far! The next day, I met even more people from the forum when we got into the TV studio where U2 performed live in Germany for the first time ever. They were so close!! Just brilliant! And again, that's not the end of my story! I went to see five U2 shows altogether that summer, something I would not have done on my own - it was great to find a group of fellow-minded U2 fans to travel and hang out with! Through the years (and U2 tours) friendships started and I found many concert buddies. In 2009/2010 I saw 18 U2 shows - again, something I would not have done on my own (including the long queueing in front of the venues) and I got to see places I wouldn't have travelled on my own (Horsens, Coimbra, Helsinki, etc.). We had huge gatherings in Dublin with dozens of people and after the final European concert in Rome in 2010, we spontaneously went out for dinner with about 40 people. So, in addition to seeing brilliant U2 concerts, my life was enriched with meeting fellow U2 fans - and that does not only include fans from German-speaking countries but fans from all over the world. And I look forward to seeing them again during the next tour and to sharing all the fun.

While I meet some concertbuddies only during U2 tours, there are friendships that started back then that go way beyond. We meet for other concerts or events although we are from all over the place. We travel abroad for fun or concerts (or both) when U2 are not on the road and so on. To cut a (really!) long story short: this very concert in Gelsenkirchen on 12 June 2005 really changed my life - and not only mine. I am sure that many more can tell a similar story and I hope that the band know that their music unites people, literally. :)

post-289432-0-10137900-1412628848_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

Mio primo concerto degli U2 a Milano Stadio S.Siro..2005!!! Un vero tour the force per ottenere i biglietti..grandissimi..Massy from Italy.

(english translation) : My first U2 concert in Milan Stadio S.Siro..2005 !!! A real tour the force to get the biglietti..grandissimi..Massy from Italy.

• Subscriber

I was attending college in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1981.  One weekend night I happened to attend a college sponsored hall party and for me, it was a life changing experience.  Some local band was playing in the background and I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to them.  That all changed when they started playing a cover of I Will Follow.  I had never heard that song before but something about it immediately grabbed me and I couldn't stop listening.  I left the party that night not knowing anything about that song other than the lyrics playing over and over in my head.

A few weeks later I was walking through a shopping centre, past a record store, all of the sudden I heard that song playing - THAT SONG - I WILL FOLLOW...  Once finding out who was performing it I immediately purchased the vinyl LP Boy, by a band called U2 that I had never heard of.  I took it home and couldn't stop listening to it; one of the only records I have ever purchased that included amazing music from start to finish.  I then found an import record store and began buying every piece of U2 vinyl I could find and that they could get their hands on. 

My life was changed the night I heard that cover band's version of I Will Follow.  I have become an huge fan of U2 and have attended many of their concerts in North America.  I have also amassed a huge collection of U2 memorabilia, including a rare copy of U2 3.  For me no one else's music matters that much.

• Subscriber

Well I have to go all the way back to 1981. I would be 15yrs old at the time and was immersed in punk rock and the New wave scene. My mate dreamed and talked and talked about going to see Stiff  little Fingers at Glasgow Apollo ( which has since been closed).  It was the Go For It tour. My mates big sister lived up in Glasgow and was a hairdresser (  more about that later). We gave her the nod and she obtained the tickets for us and said we could stay at her place for the night. All was well until my mate broke his leg playing footie and I wondered how he could go to the gig with his leg in full plaster. However I needn`t of worried as nothing was going to stop him going to this life changing event on two impressionable teenagers.

The build up to the gig was full of excitement and we made the trip up to Glasgow . We got to my mates sisters house and she gave us both the latest punk hairdos , wow amazing. The time came to get down to the venue and the air was full of energy, smoke and alcohol. Stiff Little Fingers hit the stage and the place erupted in a frenzy of pogoing. Even my mate was jumping around on one leg, god how I laughed. This energy lasted the whole show and matched Stiff Little Fingers pure raw energy on stage. All good things however must come to and end and the final encore ended and the crowd made the way out into the Glasgow night. My ears were ringing and I struggled to hear any conversation. This lasted well into the next day.

So all these years later and I still reminisce about this gig and still follow Stiff little Fingers watching them every year  in the Barrowlands in Glasgow and travelling around the country to various venues. Many times throughout my life Stiff Little Fingers have guided me through different issues in my life. Whenever I need some inspiration I put an album on the turntable and wait with excitement for that stylus to hit the first note and everything feels good again.

Edited by smudge1
  • Subscriber

1991, Hasselt Belgium. Nirvana opening the festival, being last minute replacements for Limbomaniacs, a local band. After discovering bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur jr a perfect day came to an end with a perfect double bill : the Pogues and the Ramones! No pictures but stil got the T-shirt and the poster.post-319280-0-02651400-1412630666_thumb.jpgpost-319280-0-66212000-1412630683_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

This year, it was 20 years ago - the 7th September 1994 in Czech Republic in Prague. I was 17 year old student and 5 years after "velvet revolution" showed Pink Floyd their first concert (The Division Bell tour) on the biggest stadium Strahov for 125000 fans and maybe it was the last concert - on the same stadium also played U2 in 1997 and I hope that it wasn't the last one!!! I hadn't money for ticket - the show was sold out and on black market costed tickets astronomic price... At least I wanted to hear voice and music of the Pink Floyd in front of the stadium. In one entrance there was to much people and some of these went throw without uncut off tickets. One great woman went back to another gate and gave me her uncut ticket. It was first part of dream - the second was whole concert in shower rain! It was amazing show, and I never see something before. I still have this ticket (cuted after my entry) from this woman and its has very big price for me. As I wrote - in summer 1997 played here U2 - POPmart tour and it was third part of my dream - magnificent :-)! Sorry for my English :-(

post-295164-0-22201100-1412630919_thumb.jpg