'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

bigwave

• Subscriber

My first U2 concert was in Norfolk, Virginia in 1983. My daughter, who was then , 8 years old was the only person who would go with me and has gone with to every U2 show since. A young Bono climbing to the top of the speakers, so close we almost touch. I have been to many concerts over the years but NOT one of them  can compare. It was the best!!  I posted a picture of my tickets, parking stub, and newspaper review from that show on my Facebook page as I don't know how to upload them here.

• Subscriber

Not my first gig ever, but my first U2 gig and yes, it kinda changed my life. I already purchased my ticket 3 days before the album was released and I was sweet 16 when I saw my first U2 gig - Popmart. Their only show to date to happen on Ex-GDR ground: July 29, 1997.

It was simply incredible - a complete different experience of LIVE SHOW. That's what U2 are about: the show is gigantic - and still not overshadowing the music. I don't remember too much but it was a hot summer night and the thing I remember best was Edge's "Daydream Believer" and all of these guys, like in their 30s and 40s around me, stared at me as I sang along every single word without seeing the words on the video screen (they all were taller than me and I was far on Adam's side). They probably thought I was too young to know such a song. I was so exhausted but right at 8am the next morning I went back to the city and....it happened:

popmart.jpg

I hardly remember how I happened to get a kiss from Bono, but I still remember his stubble on my face. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was the youngest and only teenager around. Years went by and I even saw 360 but this show still is the most impressive I had ever seen in my life. It got me addicted to live shows but there's hardly some other act achieving the energy U2 bring up on stage. And I'm still baffled by the fact how shy and quiet Bono was when we met them.

I had to decide for one and U2 definitively had the most impact on my life, so I'd call this my #unforgettablegig

• Subscriber

Saturday 15 June 1985, Geneva-Switzerland. My father was working for the local promoter back then and that saturday there was a corporate football tournament, the concert promoter's team (VSP) was playing and as I did the previous years I was there watching the games and kicking some balls between games. Then my dad picked me up and said "ok, we have to go now". I was really upset to leave the tournament but he tried to tell me that what we're about to see is something special and I may like it. As an 11 years old boy there was pretty much nothing I can do to make us stay and play football so we were going to the Patinoire des Vernets in the middle of the afternoon. I knew the band we were about to see live cause it was a pretty big band back then and I saw some of their promo clips on tv but it wasn't the kind of 80's pop/new wave bands I was enjoying. We arrived there and we went backstage, suddenly we stopped walking and he said "look, that's the singer/guitarist/songwriter"... well I just saw some random dude smoking a cigarette and waiting backstage so I wasn't really impressed. We shook hands and that was it.

The concert was about to begin, we took our seats and I was mentally prepared for 2 hours of torture. Lights went out and the first notes started, just some keyboard notes and then bam, lights, the whole band playing and the crowd going completely nuts. 

I can't believe I was enjoying this... the band that ruined my football day!!!! And the concert went by, song after song I can't believe how good that was. The next morning I told my folks that I have to buy at least one record to listen again and again the songs I heard the previous night, I wanted to relive that moment more and more. It wasn't a difficult task to choose what album to buy and I settled for the record they just released and the record that was the backbone of the show (of course), and I bought that vinyl and played it to death. While listening to that record I was contemplating the beautiful cover with that strange guitar made of steel with some coconut trees on it, I stared at the band picture on the inner sleeve to help me remember them playing live some part of the songs I was hearing... that was my first love story with a band and it started with that show that I didn't want to see. The funny thing is that it was a tour sponsored by philips to promote their new media, a new thing that was available for everyone to enjoy a new way of listening to music... that was the compact disc... and the band was Dire Straits, and of course the random guy I shook hands with was my first musical hero, Mr Mark Knopfler. I have seen tons of concerts since, and many from U2, and I've really enjoyed most of them but this saturday, in 1985, it was really a special night with a special band... a feeling I wish I will pass to my kids when I will take them to a rock concert they don't want to go to. That's why I picked this one as my #unforgettablegig

Edited by patjoller

• Subscriber

My first concert was KISS in 1979 during the Dynasty Tour. Kiss had come through Oklahoma City and I was devastated that I missed the concert. I was 8 years old and Kiss and Star Wars was my life. My mom surprised me, my brother Josh and our best friend Koby with tickets. We drove to Tulsa, Oklahoma to see the concert. It was an amazing rock n roll circus that I will never forget. An 8 year old walking in high heels is also very entertaining! Drums rising through smoke and flames, a fire breathing blood spitting self proclaimed God of Thunder, rocket shooting Les Paul's, 4 men in high heels jumping all over the stage, etc. It was an unforgettable fire in the making. My ears rang after the concert and we could not hear anything. We all stayed in the venue until the crowd had left. The cleanup crew was making their rounds and we were on the hunt for guitar picks. We found several laying in the beer soaked trash. 3 roadies came out and asked if our mom's would like to come "backstage" with Kiss for awhile. Ace Frehley came out and gave Koby his white towel around his neck. Paul Stanley gave me his guitar pick. We BEGGED our moms to go backstage. We are very upset and crying that they wouldn't go backstage. I'm very thankful our mom's were wise to what goes on backstage at a Kiss concert. I would have hated for my mom being another notch on Gene's studded belt! 

This year I had the opportunity to take my 8 year old to see Kiss in Tulsa just like I had. We met the band and I told Paul Stanley about my first Kiss concert and now my son is at his first Kiss concert. He loved the story and asked where I was sitting in the show. I told him we were front row on the floor. He said "Great, I'm going to look for you". My son had a Kevin Durant #35 OKC jersey on with Paul Stanley's name on the back. During the Kiss concert Paul started talking about Kiss fan parents bringing THEIR kids to Kiss shows. HE then walked over to us and pulled my son on stage. It was a great nostalgic moment for me and my son. I will never forget that moment. (my mother in law won't forget either...she couldn't believe I took my son to see the Kings of Satan Service!)

U2 is my all time favorite band. I have seen them 19 times in concert including the Croke Park shows on the last tour in Ireland. My wife and I also went to see Bono's house in Killiney. I went up to the big gates and acted like I was knocking on it. The security guy yelled at me and we got it all on video (youtube "Busted at Bono's" for proof). I remember looking up in the sky at Croke Park. U2 were playing and the skies were red and orange. I couldn't believe I was seeing U2 under a blood red sky in Ireland. THAT was my favorite concert! I can't wait to take my son to his FIRST U2 concert. Sure hope it's next year! Come back to Oklahoma City and I ALL I WANT IS THIS VINYL!!!!!

The photos are of me (Paul Stanley) in high heels, my brother Josh as "Peter Criss" and Koby as "Ace" in 1979. This was before the concert. The other photo is my 8 year old son on stage with Kiss on August 29, 2014.

post-309714-0-12120800-1412630925_thumb.jpg

post-309714-0-59297600-1412631041_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

U2 has been such an important part of my life since Achtung Baby was given to my roomate for Christmas and we listened to it two thousand times seemingly in a row!  I owned u2 albums before, but it really made me pay attention when One entered my brain.  Saw them for first time live at Dodger Stadium and since then have been to 30 plus shows including, Mexico city (friggen awesome!), Dublin, Buenos Aires, Vancouver, (where I met Bill Gates) Tons of US cities, and Hawaii.  In Hawaii, we met Edge while in line at the airport and he was gracious ennough to take some time away from his family and meet mine. My son was 2 1/5 at the time and had seen the final Vertigo show in Aloha stadium the week before.  Calvin was excited to have met the man he saw on the big jombotron screens and talked about it all the time.  But that is not the story I want to tell.  When the 360 tour came around, I ended up with two GA seats for the Rose Bowl.  Calvin wanted to go with me and got his wish.  We got a hotel and headed over to the show early.  He was messing around and almost tripped Barbara Streisand (Typical LA), we ended up in the inner circle right next to the stage.  Fergie loved seeing this little boy on my shoulders and he soaked it up.  But Calvin was all about Edge.  When the show started and Edge made his way over to right next to us, Cal started screaming, "EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE!...EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE! ....EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE!"  But Edge did not see him or respond.  I pulled out his earplug to explain that Edge could not hear him.  So Calvin says, "Daddy, tell him to turn the music down!"  The world does seem to revolve around young children.  Now to hear Calvin and his younger Brother singing "The Miracle" or "iris" as they start learing the songs on Guitar makes me proud as a parent that they are starting a love affair with music that for me starts with U2!!!  Thank you guys for making such awesome

music!!

post-293444-0-61435200-1412631339_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

U2 / Pixies

Apr 12, 1992

Los Angeles Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA, USA

I’ve been to at least 100+ shows but there were few that I looked forward to more than seeing the Pixies open for my favorite band, U2. In the weeks leading up to the concert, I contracted pneumonia! I was NOT about to be stopped and the day before the show, had regained some of my strength.

The day of the show, feeling completely terrible, my twin brother dragged me around the venue, and helped me to the seats.

Oddly enough, by the time The Pixies left the stage, I felt superhuman. As Zoo Station kicked in, I felt like I was floating. Exhaustion? Perhaps. I prefer to think I was healed by The Fly…

• Subscriber

My first U2 gig was popmart somewhere in October 1997 at the Skydome in Toronto. I was about (aboot as they say in Canada) 5 rows from the top of the dome, real nose bleeders. My girlfriend ended up falling asleep through third eye bind, she had worked a 12 hour shift before the concert. Luckily the monitors were huge so I could see the stage.

Since then I have been lucky to see the boys 10 times. All with my girlfriend now wife, dragging her along on as many shows as I can get tickets for. Post September 11, show in Hamilton, Ontario, home of producer Danny Lanois, was unbelievable. Emotions were high and I even shed tears through "Streets". Following the concert we got stuck in the parking garage elevator till a mechanic came and let us out around 1am.

2005 we headed for 2 shows at Croke park, Dublin, got in the middle of the inner stage, again raining, jet lagged, hungry and excited. Had the best pizza ever at Apache pizza outside Croke Park. Then tried to hail a cab back to our hotel up by the airport. Ended up walking half way there finally got a cab somewhere around Drumconda area. Second show on the Monday met a couple from Glasglow ended up they loved Coronation street.

Finally last show of 360 in Moncton, was a huge mud hill, slipped in my crocs slide down the hill. It was my daughters first U2 show, so she thought it was so funny watching people fall down the hill in mud while in complete darkness.

• Subscriber

#UnforgettableGig

It was my first gig and obviously the beginning of my musical journey with the 4 guys from Dublin as U2 is the soundtrack of my life, period.

May 27th, 1981 Toads Place, New Haven CT.

I was a 16 yo 'preppy punk lite' from Newtown CT, sneaking in a with a couple guys with our fake ID's. (not as cool as sneaking in the side door to see the Ramones, but still quite similar ;)

We got there late and the first thing I actually heard was Adam prepping then starting OOC, awesome thump. I eventually fell in love with the whole band, but it was the rhythm that captured me at Toads...it was indeed, the most beautiful sound I ever heard!

34 years and 100+ concerts later, I celebrated my 50th Birthday on 10/1 but before that, I get a pre-birthday gift in my iTunes and 500 million of my friends apparently did too, holy crap, most awesome marketing move since the beginning of the internet!

And all for my birthday, cool!

Thanks U2 and U2.com, great idea for a contest!

Unfortunately it was a time of no cell phones/digital cameras so only have the memory and set-list> 

http://u2station.com/tours/1981/05/may-27-1981---new-haven-connecticut-usa---toads-place.php

• Subscriber

My first ever concert was actually U2 during the PopMart Tour in  1997 in Philadelphia on June 8, 1997. It was a night I will never forget. I was 16 and a sophomore in high school. I went to a very large school and didn't have a whole lot of friends. Making friends was something that has always come hard to me. I was the ugly duckling of the class of 1999 and was always made fun of for numerous reasons. I found peace in listening to U2 and their music. I was too young to see them in 1992 on the Zoo TV Tour, so when they announced the dates for PopMart, I just knew I had to go. My older brother was the one who got me into the band and we got tickets for the show. I was so excited that I was finally going to see them live. Their music when I listen to it takes me away from the hurt that I endured in school, and took me somewhere. When my brother and I went to the show, I was so blown away. It was one of the best nights of my life and to finally sing songs live that meant so much to me was a dream come true. Every time I went to school and had a bad day, I would just think of that night and it would all just go away. I am so grateful to U2 for giving me that and that night made the rest of my teen years so much more bearable to live. I owe my life to that night and to this band. I don't have a photo of my brother and me at the show, but I do still own the ticket stub to this day and cherish it.

post-287348-0-98966500-1412632754_thumb.jpg@U2sjerseygirl

Edited by lauramullen

• Subscriber

The magical concert I remember was U2 Elevation -tour in Torino, 21th of July  2001, and was my first big concert of my life. My partner has been following them since 1983 and he saw the 1st tour of U2 in Italy. For me the elevation tour was the first and unforgettable one.Since that time I 've never lost a tour in Italy, and  the funniest  was 360°Tour in Milan , the 8th of july 2009. The stage was the biggest I've ever seen and people was wonderful. I think feelings I felt are difficult to feel again.I saw Bono and the others very very close and I was happy as a child!But the only Tour still remains the first, the one in Torino, because I didn't believe an energy like the U2's power was possible all over the world.When I was younger I could never go to see a concert because I had n't much money to travel and to pay and the fist time I went I was 33! But with eyes of a child who watchs for the fist time Heaven. I was a fan of U2 but I only saw them on tv ..it was marvellous I'll never be tired to repeat.U2 sang three songs more over the usual bis and it was the first and only time they did so. Was it for me? Naturally not, but I want to believe it. the day after we knew Bono had a little collapse for stress because of the long time he sang and run! A grat man, a grat group and a wonderful memory.

post-564701-0-94187500-1412632467_thumb.jpg

post-564701-0-60934400-1412632714_thumb.jpg

post-564701-0-25837600-1412632809_thumb.jpg