'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

bigwave

• Subscriber

To tell my tale of my unforgettable gig, I need to go back a bit. I’ve been a fan of U2 since I was about 11. Safe to say, I grew up with them nearly always being in my life. I grew up and lived much of my adult life in an area where U2 is not known to travel to so it took me a while to get to my first U2 concert. When I finally did, it was so completely worth it. I actually made it to see them a few times in the 360 tour and loved it. Flash forward to 2009. U2 are opening the 360 tour in Barcelona. I get a complete wild hair and decide now is the time for me to see them. I had been a paid member of Zootopia for a good few years by then in anticipation of being able to finally attend one of their concerts. In 2009 I finally made it. It was so completely worth the wait. It was such a surreal moment and it was appropriate that it was in Barcelona, Spain – the capital of surrealism. 

P1020627_zps46d90f5f.jpg

I went on this adventure solo. I had a blast. I was texting back and forth with Mich40 and keeping her in the loop while I was there. It was great fun. I actually have a video of the first time I actually heard U2 and Bono sing (although I had just missed recording Bono) and it was really them, not a radio, CD, or etc. I was in the parking lot of Camp Nou stadium listening to them practice and sitting in the café across from the stadium. I’m actually glad this was my first time hearing them live, just me in the parking lot of Camp Nou. I was a grinning fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usjo8UKanHs

I went back a few more times to hear them practice leading up to the show. I remember on one occasion in the evening you could hear them around for miles. There were people in the streets with their chairs out listening to them, some dancing even. It was great. I did try and hang out with the bunch that were waiting around to meet the band but they always came out super late from what I understand. So I didn’t get to meet them, but enjoyed my time hanging out and chatting with a few fans there.

I didn’t make it to the very first concert but did the second night. 

Barcelona2009_zps21b8c76c.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed myself singing and dancing around. It was a fantastic concert and night. Also, I got to hear Electrical Storm which was awesome and I think the only time they played that live. I walked away with some great memories, a new addiction for attending concerts, and the best keepsake of all – a U2 video shot on the night I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT6KngHmrbg&index=12&list=PLE66CAF778BD0C3A6

This is also worth posting. Another fan who attended made it. I love it and watch it all the time. It nicely rounds up what the atmosphere was like, the sights of Barcelona, and the concert from a fan perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3HwRJt3NY&list=PLE66CAF778BD0C3A6&index=3

If you ever get the chance to see a U2 opener, go for it. I had a blast and the atmosphere as you near the concert date is amazing. I swear U2 fans from around the world completely invaded Barcelona. It was great.

Thanks U2 for everything!!

#unforgettablegig 

Edited by Shannon387

• Subscriber
Hey U2 fans this is my concert story!

Hey do you want 2 tickets for the Amsterdam Arena? Asked my best friend back in 2005. I was 15/16 years old and never been to a Arena or to a big city like Amsterdam before. Only some small festivals in my local village. I felt my heart beating. ME? going to Amsterdam? To the Arena?

Wow this could be amazing! I started to fantasize about special effects, lights and how big it is. So I said to my friend: Yes that would be suuuuper cooool!!!

Ofcourse Im a girl, and the first thing I did when I got home was going to my closet to look for some awesome shirts. Hmmm what to wear… The Police, U2, The Stones…

A couple of days later we were sitting in her parents car on our way to Amsterdam! Yes! But then with all the happiness in the world, I started to realize I didn’t no who was performing! So I asked who is going to play tonight? "De Toppers" she answered. My parents got the tickets for free with some grocery commercial. 

I got goosebumps…. and not the good kind. Like you eat something you really don’t like goosebumps. For the people that don’t know "De Toppers” to me its a mix between the Amsterdam Gay Pride and German Schlagers but with typical dutch songs… Just not that cool…

That concert was took the longest two and a half hours of my life.
This is it then… my very first experience in a Arena and they sing Schlager…
I have never felt more embarrassed than that day…

Jenn

#unforgettablegig

Edited by jenmusic

• Subscriber

The most unforgettable concert memory I have is when I used to sail with my brother in law.  Annually there was a race where we would sail from Newport to Ensenada.  Problem was U2 was starting their Popmart tour and opening venue was in Las Vegas on 4/25/1997, and we had purchased tickets months before realizing it was the same weekend as this race.  I couldn't not go to the U2 concert and I also couldn't let me brother in law down and not sail.  So I had to do both.  The sailing race started on 4/23 and takes about a day and a half.  I arrive with little sleep early in the morning around 5am Friday morning, jump in my car and drove from Ensenada to Sam Boyd stadium in Las Vegas to catch the opening night concert for Popmart tour.  Don't remember how we did in the race, but will always remember the concert and the craziness that went into getting there. 

• Subscriber

Hello, my U2 family!  In August of 1993, I was the winner of a U2 radio contest!! I won a trip from Philly to Dublin to see the last night of the Zooropa Tour! It was a completely amazing experience and I still cannot believe it happened - 21 years later!  I flew to Dublin with my new husband - we will be married 22 years this month and we still go to as many U2 shows as we can - three kids later!   I wrote a letter to Propaganda to tell them about my experience. In my letter I wrote that at that moment, we felt like were at the coolest place on the planet (true!) and my letter was printed!  Fast forward to 2011 - Edge signed my Propaganda and I got to tell him my story.  His response:  "Wow!".  He was so nice and really listened to my story. He was impressed!  Here are some pics - my letter from WMMR Radio in Philly, pics of the Bonavox Hearing Aid Shop, the Principle Management door bell, our tickets, the Zoo money my husband caught, and a pic of Edge from 2011 and his autograph. My letter was called "Wonderful".  And it was!   #unforgettablegig

Cheers,

Mari

post-288361-0-49667700-1412639415_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-06974400-1412639425_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-07199800-1412639433_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-87765500-1412639444_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-02826400-1412639451_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-34724700-1412639457_thumb.jpg

post-288361-0-53640100-1412639467_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

November 2005, U2 in Montreal. My tickets scanned Vertigo and I end up first row just in front of The Edge in the pit. It was my first U2 gig but not my last! I had tickets for their second night two days later and then, Adam signed this picture.!

post-294396-0-37106800-1412640296_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

The year was 1983... U2 was scheduled to perform at Red Rocks, in my backyard, so to speak. The June day dawned cold and rainy. And I had an 8th grade math final that morning. Needless to say, I was not at the now-famous Red Rocks in the rain show... 

Fast forward to March 17, 1985. I had a ticket to the U2 show at McNichols Arena in Denver. Behind the stage. Not a great seat, by all means. I didn't care one bit! The music was loud, and U2 played all of my favorites. I sang and danced, and had a great time. After the show, my friends and I were hanging around in the parking lot, not ready to go home, and not wanting to sit in endless traffic in the parking lot. Well, hanging around the tour bus area was a great idea - I saw a figure clad in black, and just knew that it was Bono. I ran toward him, tripped on the curb, and nearly knocked Bono to the ground. He was so nice, and we chatted a little bit. I can still recall that he smelled like cigarettes and leather jacket... I asked him to sign my ticket, but could not locate a pen. He took my ticket, placed it in my hands, and held them tightly.. and said "I'm sorry, I really have to go now". Now that's a great memory of my first U2 show! 

The 1987 Joshua Tree tour rocked my world - that was one of my favorites. 

In 1992, my best friend and I wanted to see the ZooTV tour, which wasn't scheduled to stop in Denver until later in the year. So, we packed up the car and drove 800 miles to Phoenix with hopes that we would be able to score tickets to the show there. We perhaps over paid for the tickets, but we were in, and had a great time. We did see U2 later that year in Denver, and ended up meeting the Edge and Larry outside of their hotel. Those were the days! 

I've seen U2 11 times total, and have loved each show - they keep getting better! My favorite moment from the latest tour was "Moment of Surrender", when Bono asked everyone to turn on their phones... 

• Subscriber

Although I have a continuing love affair with U2, one extra special gig I have been to was Jeff Buckley at the Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Melbourne, in 1995. Jeff's voice and his band's singing guitars had been haunting my dreams for many months and the opportunity to see him in such an intimate venue was an exciting event. The Palais Theatre is an art deco venue on the foreshore of St Kilda. It seats only a couple of 1000 people, I was seated in the front row of the circle which means I looked down on Jeff Buckley, while he complained about the awkardness of his hairstyle, and strummed his guitar lovingly. His voice soared through the room, and we all hung off every note that he sang and played.  His version of Hallelujah, now so popularly done by other artists, is the best after Lou Reed.  The gig at the time was perfect, and some years later in 1997 when Jeff died in the Mississippi, I felt sadness at such a loss of talent and purity of style, and forever grateful that I had been able to spend that evening with him.

• Subscriber
It was October, 2005.
It was my first airplane trip;
It was the first time I traveled to another country;
It was the first time I met Bono;
It was my first U2 Concert;
It was the first time I had a dream to come true!
It was a moment I'll never forget!!
Lucky me, lucky and beautiful Boston!

Boston memories

#unforgettableGig

Boston memories

#unforgettableBoston

Andrea Macedo

Recife - Brasil

Edited by *ladywiththespinninghead*