Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

I was listing to U2 for almost 12 years but it was until 1992 that i have the luck to attend the concerts, was on San Diego and I remember Bono shut down the band to play "Who's gone ride you wild horses" by Himself then after 3 months i saw the band in Mexico city play their magic and the attendance play along with the lighters.... Priceless, i have been an U2 fan since then

Hey!

One of my first concerts I was able to visit, was in my age of 16. There I used to be a hugh Fan of Bryan Adams. It was on a Festival in Germany and I got a vip Ticket to stand near the stage. Friday, it was the biggest Moment of my life to that time. Mr Adams drove by and was almost gone to his dressing room when he heared me shouting. He stoped, came to me and to me to the dressing room and gave me the time to talk a while. Also you let me took some pictures and he signed my records. This Moment I still remember if it was yesterday. It was awesome und unforgettable.

City in My Head..... UTOPIA... Heaven in my body.... UTOPIA....

Those words changed my life in the most profound way.  It was the fall of 1975 in a small state forest in southern Iowa, where I was living with my sister after being expelled from school in Cincinnati for being a foolish young hooligan.  My newfound friends had invited me along, and I was more than happy to leave the farm and explore the beauty of the Hawkeye state.  Doing what most teenagers did in the 1970's, we had plenty of 'party' supplies and music on 8-track, leaving our vinyl at home with our "quad" stereos. 

Lying in the back of a 1950's pickup truck with my Iowa farmboy friends, watching stars dance and glide through the sky, the most beautiful sound I had ever heard suddenly filled every sinue of my being.  It was the first few chords of a song I would later discover is entitled, "Todd Rundgren's Utopia."  Immediately upon hearing those notes, I literally saw fireworks, felt explosions from head to toe, and had a total out of body experience. It wasn't holy, it was divine, nothing less than sharing a pure consciousness experience with the true cosmic source of all love and music. 

From that moment forward my life would follow the Utopian path.  My friend loaned me his vinyl version, where I explored every note on the entire album, and learned about Freedom Fighters, and living in the light of eternal mind in the Ikon, and the joy of being lock step in with the Freak Parade, but more than anything else, I learned the meaning of Utopia. From there, I quickly gobbled up the remaining TR catalog, and upon returning to Cincy with a new outlook and attitude, got my act together in school and graduated with honors, all the while sharing my love of all things utopian and gathering a nice group of utopian friends.

My friends and I enjoyed waiting in line for the live shows, especially after experiencing the Who and Led Zeppelin fiascos we barely survived at Riverfron Coliseum. There was no pushing and shoving, nobody being trampled or squished, no beer bottles being smashed all over.  Just people sharing coffee and hot chocolate and talking about the nature of existence and started a little activist group that would meet and do some fine consciousness exploration.  I met my husband and most of my lifelong friends at these shows, and now actually work for Todd making backstage passes and tour laminates.

On a U2 note, in the spring of 1983, we witnessed U2 (and that crazy Bono kid climbing the flag pole at Keenan stadium!!!) for the first time, when they opened for Todd Rundgren in Chapel Hill, NC.  I had pics from that show, but they were lost to a flood in my basement.  However, I do recall that was a fun show.... we somehow were invited to party with Grandmaster Flash and hang on their tour bus and backstage. Not sure if we even met anyone from U2 (so sad, but it would be another 10 years before Zooropa would give me another karmic moment, similar to TR's Utopia).  We found it incredibly amusing that as soon as U2 left the stage, the entire audience cleared out, so we were able to be front row (almost a private show) for Todd. 

Backstage after a Todd show, he encouraged my friends and I to become concert promoters, which we did for a few years. My two girlfriends and I who ran the business were affectionately dubbed, "The Ohio Players" by band members in Grateful Dead, Todd's Band, and a few others.  We were also known for the girls who kicked out NIN out of a hotel party in Cleveland, because they were drinking from our robo-bar!   Anyway, that is my story, and my life in a nutshell. 

Everything in my life can be measured as a soundtrack, and I do not see that changing any time in the near future. 

The attached pic is that of my son, TR and I with my Ohio Utopian license plate. 

Peace

post-292920-0-19698500-1412650277_thumb.jpg

In the mid-80's a high school buddy named Dave Young, who was older than I, insisted we see THE JOSHUA TREE concert in LA, even though neither of us could afford tickets.  Just a couple of broke teenagers.  I didn't have a license yet, but Dave drove a cool white Camero with black interior, and we hoped to get lucky with scalpers, even if the seats were crap.  So we drove to the Coliseum, parked and started to hustle for tix.  Basically, no price was too low.  But even the scalpers were expensive.  And I remember that sinking feeling as it dawned on me that we were not going to see this epic show.  The Pixies opened for them, as I recall, and I could hear Bjork singing "Today is your birthday-ay-ay ..."  The show had begun.  The crowd went bananas.  So Dave and I resigned ourselves to sit outside and listen to the entire concert on the curb.  It sounded like everyone was having such a blast inside!  The concert must've been amazing!  I bought a t-shirt in the parking lot, which I later cut off the sleeves and wore proudly.  The drive home was somber.  We didn't get to see U2, but we heard them.  And that's what music is all about anyway, right -- listening.

Dave died, sadly, in a car accident before I even finished high school.  I kept that Joshua Tree t-shirt for a very long time ... until it was thread-bare.  Only wish i had a pic ...

It's October, 1989 and Transvision Vamp are playing at The Barrowlands in Glasgow, Scotland.

As a teenager, my parents have decided it's too far (40 miles), too late at night blah blah blah but my best mate Foxy has already bought the tickets and nothing's going to stop us. So late afternoon we catch the bus through to Glasgow and make our way to the gig.

As expected, the crowd is predominantly a heaving, sweating mass of testosterone filled, lager fuelled teen lads who’s interest in the lead singer far outweighs their interest in the music– and she knows it; prowling across the stage, pouting and posing in a very, very short, silver sequined dress.

After the gig, however, we soon discover that there are no buses at that time of night to get us home. We find a phone box and I sheepishly call home to ask my Dad to come and pick us up.

Needless to say I got the hiding of my life when I got home but it was worth it to be in the front row and see Wendy James in that dress.

No pics from the night but none required!

in 2005, Bring my oldest son, then he was 13, to his first ever concert. was a u2 concert in Toronto. We took the train from Montreal at 5 am. 5 hours later, we hit the big city, tour the city a little bit, went to the hockey hall of fame, went to the CN tower... all of that was really just an appetizer to what was happening next...a U2 concert, side stage, a little bit to high, but to see my son amazingly looking at everyone's singing u2 songs, participating to that big communion an be surrounded by that energy was something that I will never forget. since that day, he is now 21, he saw many other concerts, but that one was his first and still a vivid...actually, that´s kind of funny because just deep down once again in that souvenir is as much better than winning that vinyl...:-)

Life-changing or at least making a life-long "Fanship" of a band...It was waayyy...back in 1976 when my dad bought me ticket to Kulttuuritalo, Helsinki to see MUD.
Young chap that fell in love with the music and has been fan now for almost 40 years. This was so special because it is one rare occasion when Finnish Broadcasting
Company YLE filmed the gig and broadcasted it edited next year. I had my walls covered with posters and had all the cassettes and there I was...holding my little cassette
player - microphone in our living room to capture the tv-show on cassette and trying to keep my family quiet with all the 14-year old power I had.
The taping went reasonably well but the cassette has long been lost.
Ten years ago I learned that the footage is still somewhere in the archives of YLE and I ended up sending dozens of emails to various executives to beg-beg-beg for digitizing
or a tape-copy for my personal enjoyment. ...years passed with no luck and statements that the rights are not cleared....they doubted about the existance of the footage stating
that the tapes were perhaps used to film again...
Then my son got married. His mother in law worked for the company and my hopes rose...she started digging after my advice and FOUND the footage that existed in some
strange very old format. Couple of years passed since there was no easy way to transfer the footage to digital format. But HOPE WAS ON THE WAY.
Then the company outsourced their archives and format - transfers and I found one day a DVD of that footage in my mailbox!!!!!!
Old man was almost cryin'. I watched it over and over again and last month I contacted the Bassist of Mud who is now playing with Hollies via his son and got to meet him and
handed him a copy to treasure. Ray told me that this is the ONLY live footage of Mud now existing...I ended up chattin' with him for an hour pre-show in Helsinki.
He has watched the footage and enjoyed with his family to see his early gimmicks on stage....Here a screengrab of Ray and Rob from the footage and my meeting with Ray...994592_10151551287295881_1982938344_n.jp10435870_10152274359285881_4952550289297

I have to admit that to love this band is not easy. To see U2 up close I got to starve, thirst, cold, heat, fatigue, sleep, I was wetted by rain, I was roasted by the Sun, I did promises to God ... and I do not care, cuz after all it is worth. My #unforgettablegig was the 360º concert on 9th April 2011 in Brazil.

To see U2 live, I traveled for the first time alone and hidden from my father. Well, technically I have not hidden cuz I'd warned in December of 2010 that I would to the concert but he did not believe… On the day of sale for the first show I did not get the ticket that the site was selling and I just went into despair. When the band marked the second show, oh Gosh, I was filled with hope! But only missing 10 minutes for the sale of tickets: the source of my computer burned. Joke right?! I've cried again, I did not sleep, I did not eat. Hence I did a promise to God to see the concert, because I had faith that after all I could get it .

A girl from the fan club was selling a ticket from a friend who had some problems and she could not go to the concert. The ticket was for the red bleachers to the second concert on the 10th April. At the time, I said I wanted desperately and she sold me. Then she asked me if I wanted to change to the day 09th on the first concert. Then I freaked out! It was everything I wanted!

I took the flight at 08th April 2011, and I went to the home of a friend who would also to the concert on the day 09. Detail: only knew her by a social web. She and her husband were super good people with me and even seemed we to know each other for years ago. Then, at the day after we went to the stadium at 11 am o'clock. When I got there I was very cheeky and I jumped the queue (it's not so honest but please don't judge me and understand my despair: I'd traveled 1:30 hours of plane + 1 hour by bus + 20 minutes by train + 25 minutes by another bus + 15 minutes walking). It was the dream of my life and I really did not want to stay at the end of the crowd. Also I'm skinny, so I don't believe that I occupied so much space...

When I entered at the stadium ... What can I say? I've cried, called my mother at the cel and said to that I had been close the stage. Everything was magical from start to finish. Everything.  I really sobbed at the time of yellow and green balloons when the guys played Where The Streets Have No Name and I still remember with tears when I review the videos. My heart races when I review the entry of the band, as happened there. Unforgettable.

I arrived at my friend's house at 06:00 am on the day after and at 13:30 pm o'clock and went back to my city in another State. I already paid the promise that I made and meanwhile that, I studied for exams of Public Health would have at the next day in my College. I was all sore, hoarse with dark circles, but no matter. I WOULD DO THIS ALL  AGAIN !!! U2 is worth. Who is not a fan, you'll never understand this madness we feel for them. And just for them.

:rolleyes:

post-585281-0-34206300-1412656622_thumb.jpg

post-585281-0-87638300-1412656666_thumb.jpg

post-585281-0-93172600-1412656667_thumb.jpg

Edited by cynwildhoney

The most exciting concert I've ever been was the U2's 360° tour live in Milan, on july 7th, 2009. it was phenomenal with that huge Claw stage which was the biggest ever realized in the whole story of rock. I even created a handpainted T-shirt for my wife, who was with me for the first time at a U2 concert, to celebrate the event!
We'll never forget the power, the joy and the energy that those guys expressed in every word they sung, in every sound they played. They made all of us feel like an enormous group of friends sitting around a fire and singing songs we've always known. We were part of the show ourselves! Amazing! 
One of the most touching moment of that day was when Bono dedicated Party Girl to his daughter Eve, who was turning 18, and asked all the people at the stadium to celebrate her birthday singing a huge, coral ''happy birthday''.

Thank you all for the  big emotions you gave us!

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/unforgettablegig?source=feed_text&story_id=473885256085340

post-309397-0-69667900-1412661416_thumb.jpg

post-309397-0-94542100-1412704473_thumb.jpg

post-309397-0-36620400-1412704514_thumb.jpg

Edited by wenage

The date was Dec., 1987.  My wife and I were just starting out, trying to go to school and work at the same time.  We managed to afford our first CD player that year, and the first CD I had to purchase before I left the store was U2's "Joshua Tree," since we had worn out the vinyl copy we had.  We felt then, and we still do feel it is the greatest album of all time!  

We scrapped together enough money to see U2 live, but there's no way they would come to a little hole in the wall like the Hampton Coliseum in Virginia.  When they announced the tour dates, we were shocked to find out, not only were they coming to Hampton, but it would be the last two nights of the tour, before they moved on to Tempe, AZ to record what would become part of the "Rattle and Hum" movie.   We were ecstatic and pleasantly surprised; no one this big had visited our neck of the woods since The Who and the Stones!

Now to purchase tickets, since we would have to contend with most of the east coast for tickets.  We went to our local ticket outlet the night before, put our name down on a makeshift lottery list, and settled in for a long, cold night in our car.  This was a bit of a sacrifice since we were both in school. The tickets went quickly, but we were able to grab 2 tickets, and they were on the floor!  Now, the long wait until the concert night arrived.

Looking back now, it seems just a blur.  We don't remember them opening the show, but the BoDeans opened and eventually would become one of our favorite live bands!  What struck us as amazing about that night was we had to stand on our seats to see, because everyone in the Coliseum stood during that memorable night, all 10,000 of us.  We didn't stand because we were asked to, or begged to, or pleaded with, or because we had to; it was because we wanted to feel like we were part of the show.  I felt then, as I feel now, that was the closest to a religious experience that we had ever experienced outside of church! 

We have attended many concerts since then, including a dozen U2 concerts, but it remains our favorite of all time!

Thanks guys for some awesome memories.

James & Linda Dezern