Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

• Community Moderator

pain_18 - this was a reply to North Bowman earlier in he thread at 11.33 when they said "I'm pretty sure I know what The Ramones would have said to an appearance in the Apple ad. Yes...it starts with f and ends with f ;)"

Can't seem to quote on here for some reason, but fully aware of Apple paying for the downloads....and fully appreciative! :D think today has been awesome!!

PS, if you want to tell me how to quote other comments in future that would be much appreciated too! ;)

quote_zps2184d95f.jpg

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

So the Ramones wouldn't have wanted their music to reach as many people as possible? for free?

Where did you get that idea from ?

Didn't you read? Apple paid for U2's album !!!

The Ramones appear in the ad.....and they would never have sold their album to a big player like apple even if the fans get the album for free. They would have given it away on their own if at all. But this big business wasn't their cup of tea. I'm not saying U2 are selling their souls. But The Ramones wouldn't have done this in a million years.

• Subscriber

The Ramones lived in a different world - they still had 8 tracks back then. In today's world, what they just did insured income off the album and lowered the probability of a leak spoiling hope of income. People keep saying Beyoncé, but really it's what Jay-Z did with his phone deal (he got several million, plus immediate audience, and the phone company got a marketing plus). 

• Subscriber

Well, I woke up feeling sick this morning, turned on my PC, found out U2 new album for free, and instantly felt a bit better, Busy with the kiddies but have listened to one or two songs at this point I have to say I like it!

• Subscriber

very different world now North Bowman - U2 aren't The Ramones, and they are in a very different market. U2 want their message heard, just as The Ramones did - that's why they are both great artists, but the methods for 'getting heard' have changed, and with what they've done today U2 have put themselves back at the top of their game - it's not about selling out - they're artists, and artists want their art out there for people to see/hear - I love what they've done today :)

• Subscriber

U2 have got their album on 500,000,000 devices across the world instantly it will appear in most peoples itunes library without consent via the cloud.

It's amazing marketing for them and Apple.

U2 couldn't sell a fraction of that number these days in a normal album release, I think it was a great idea for them and the best route for them to potentially gain new fans.