Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

• Subscriber

This tweet was just posted and routed out:

"Joshua Tree is at No. 14 on iTunes charts right now, and 17 (!) other U2 albums in top 100. "

https://twitter.com/hiattb/status/510520309200740352

Sure enough, if you check iTunes top albums, you'll see a lot of U2 albums on there. Excellent! :)

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

As someone alluded to earlier, the beauty of this album is that there are no soaring anthemic show stealers - just a bunch of wonderfully crafted, different and bloody good songs. I took a break yesterday after my initial U2 'rush' and came back to the album today. Even the querky 'This is where you can reach me now' - arguably the weakest song on the album in my opinion only - has still got beautiful little ripples running through. The rest is full of strong tracks.

Does this, can this, will this rank as a U2's best album? Well, for me, it's ticking all the right boxes. The last time I felt so positive about an album post release, with a little adrenalin rush every time I play it - was possibly hearing the opening 3 songs on Joshua Tree for the first time as a 19 yr old, as I flipped that one onto my turntable back in '87.

Even 'Miracle', which didn't strike me initially as an opener, is now fitting into place on the album 'set-list'  - It wouldn't work anywhere else on the album but at the beginning.

The band have maybe taken their time on this - but it's really starting to show, for me at least, that it was and is still truly worth the wait.

I can't wait to get the hard copies, the delux, the whole shooting match 'cause these guys have delivered a really tight bunch of tunes on this one.

Great to hear the quality and great to see that U2 are very much still to the fore.

Am I gushing....well, yes I am. Great work.

Others are jumping way ahead as to what might be in the future (ref:songs of experience), which I don't get at all - slow down - listen to what has just been released, take it in, breath deeply....and listen again.

The best all round quality on an album that I've heard from the band since.....well, is it the best ever?

Ok, hows about you don't answer that! There will be no agreement. Point is - here's a bunch of guys, privileged by their own admission these days, in their 50's - still delivering quality music to their fans and the world in general.

Simply the best.

Time for another listen.

• Subscriber

As someone alluded to earlier, the beauty of this album is that there are no soaring anthemic show stealers - just a bunch of wonderfully crafted, different and bloody good songs. I took a break yesterday after my initial U2 'rush' and came back to the album today. Even the querky 'This is where you can reach me now' - arguably the weakest song on the album in my opinion only - has still got beautiful little ripples running through. The rest is full of strong tracks.

Does this, can this, will this rank as a U2's best album? Well, for me, it's ticking all the right boxes. The last time I felt so positive about an album post release, with a little adrenalin rush every time I play it - was possibly hearing the opening 3 songs on Joshua Tree for the first time as a 19 yr old, as I flipped that one onto my turntable back in '87.

Even 'Miracle', which didn't strike me initially as an opener, is now fitting into place on the album 'set-list'  - It wouldn't work anywhere else on the album but at the beginning.

The band have maybe taken their time on this - but it's really starting to show, for me at least, that it was and is still truly worth the wait.

I can't wait to get the hard copies, the delux, the whole shooting match 'cause these guys have delivered a really tight bunch of tunes on this one.

Great to hear the quality and great to see that U2 are very much still to the fore.

Am I gushing....well, yes I am. Great work.

Others are jumping way ahead as to what might be in the future (ref:songs of experience), which I don't get at all - slow down - listen to what has just been released, take it in, breath deeply....and listen again.

The best all round quality on an album that I've heard from the band since.....well, is it the best ever?

Ok, hows about you don't answer that! There will be no agreement. Point is - here's a bunch of guys, privileged by their own admission these days, in their 50's - still delivering quality music to their fans and the world in general.

Simply the best.

Time for another listen.

Great review yardie, not sure I could take much of a break from it though  ;) Its the permanent soundtrack in my car and as I'm unable to play it at work I'm driving everyone nuts with humming and whistling the likes of Every Breaking Wave and Cedarwood Road.

Individual tracks aside though; I think this album will be remembered for how intensely personal it is. Hence its long gestation. For me though it's how much they have gone back to some obviously painful episodes of their early years (Iris, Raised by Wolves) that make this a truly great album. Their best? I'll get back to you on that one  :)

• Community Moderator

"Joshua Tree is at No. 14 on iTunes charts right now, and 17 (!) other U2 albums in top 100. "

Sure enough, if you check iTunes top albums, you'll see a lot of U2 albums on there. Excellent! :)

If you count different versions, it's actually 20. Amazing!
  • Subscriber

If you count different versions, it's actually 20. Amazing!

According to Mashable at one point it was 26!!!!! U218 charted in the top 10! Go U2 Go!!! :D

26 U2 Albums Hit iTunes Top Albums Chart at Once After Apple Stunt : http://mashable.com/2014/09/12/u2-album-itunes-chart-apple-release/

• Subscriber

The Troubles has taken me prisoner. Lykke Li's vocals are like fiber optic axons creeping in and exploding with light in my brain. What's really caught me though is the way, for me, it builds on Who's Gonna Ride, Love is Blindness, Drowning Man, Bad, Wire, and Red Hill Mining Town: "you think it's easier, but before you threw me a rope, it [the trouble, (or) taking on the shape of someone else's pain] was the one thing I could hold on to." For me, that is another reference to The Clash ("Give 'em enough rope"). But, something in the way I hear it (comes to me wrongly as "your rope" rather than "a rope") twists it into the horse throwing its reins (a bit of a reach, but a beautiful one, and one I think is there; thus, Who's Gonna Ride, but also Martin Luther ("Man is a horse")). Then, of course, "if I could throw this lifeless lifeline to the wind" (Bad), "I'm hangin' on, you're all that's left to hold on to" (Red Hill), and "thread is ripping, knot is slipping" from Love is Blindness. The earlier line "you got your finger on the trouble" reads as "on the button" for me and similar to the bombmaking, images in Love is Blindness as well. Of course the parallel "take my hand" of Drowning Man to throwing someone a rope rings in my head with the comment that always came from Bono about the danger inherent in taking the hand of a Drowning Man, and that danger emphasized in Wire "here's the rope, here's the rope, now swing on it." It the leaves the aftertaste of the trouble as violence or heroin, or simply a bad relationship. The rope is both a net that has caught you and is as bad as the trouble, and/or it's the long climb out. The trouble is a dark attractor that you can grip or be lost in, and active choice is the only way out (back to Martin Luther - that horse thing and freewill "I have a will for survival", versus that horse as heroin). That feel of people reaching out for each other in need, but the need and what or who they've grabbed onto not solving the problem. Edge's guitar and Adam's bass are little flicks like snakes' tongues, playing at the edge of Larry's drumming and the lure of the vocals is irresistible. It's Ka from Jungle Book <g> I may be off the mark, and it's all fuzzy and may shift as I listen more, but it's an overwhelming song for me. And, I'm only touching on a few lines here, let alone the emotion in them. Early days but I'm immersed. We'll see what I think about it in a year.