Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

1. The car is a great place to listen to music.

agreed, and I don't even drive. but it has to have a good sound system so I can hear/feel the bass.

if anyone is interested check out this guy's blog on U2, he works for STACK magazine which is the

magazine for one of Australia's top music/movie stores JB Hi-Fi. my reply is #8 B)

http://stack.net.au/stack-blog/about-u2-no-its-all-about-them

• Subscriber

1. The car is a great place to listen to music.

agreed, and I don't even drive. but it has to have a good sound system so I can hear/feel the bass.

if anyone is interested check out this guy's blog on U2, he works for STACK magazine which is the

magazine for one of Australia's top music/movie stores JB Hi-Fi. my reply is #8 B)

Just noticed Bill Bailey clip on that blog - always loathed that clip, and another thing Mr. Bailey, it's backfired. Edge did an 'Imagine' documentary with the BBC's Alan Yentob, where the Edge himself clearly displayed how his effects pedals drive the sound, part of the 'scientists' appeal if ye ask me.

Sorry Big Bunny, just had to get that outta my system.lol

Don't know if this observation has been mentioned, but Sleep Like A Baby Tonight sounds exactly like Wake Up Dead Man.  This is a good album, much better then the last two.  Very guitar driven and lots of great bass by Adam.  Took me a few listens to get into it, but I'm enjoying it.  

Morganpearl, I like your take on the album cover, I like the cover and I'm in the U.S. LOL.

Nice job here Mac!

Okay, here is my view or review...

The Miracle - Glam rock riffs and pulsating drums. Makes you take notice with the instant loud riffage. Kind of reminds me of Love and Peace. Then in my head I think if Love and Peace and Window in the Skies had a child, I can imagine it would turn out like this. Good song to start the album, but for me, it is missing a killer chorus. But I can imagine the excitement this song would create live. Just about a hit for me...

Every Breaking Wave - The intro does scream U2 are back. Classic rhythm section. Wasn't really a fan of the 360 versions, so I am glad they have worked on it and made a proper chorus, a right sing-along one too. A classic U2 number for me, in the vein of Magnificent. Hit for me....

California - I don't mind the intro, I like the swirls and the way it goes into the song. Another sing-along chorus too, and sounds like this one was made for radio play. It is nice to step into Bono's memories, and I swear I have heard that chorus before. But an upbeat, uplifting song. Hit for me...

Song for Someone - On first listen, I thought it was a little cheesy. But through Bono's songs about Ali, certainly better than The Sweetest Thing. Not as powerful as With or Without You or All I want is You, but there is life in this song. Well crafted song in all honesty and a nice breather until we get to the intense section of the album for me. Just about a hit for me...

Iris - STANDOUT TRACK Love this. I am a sucker for the uplifting breakdowns and clubesque dance vibe, mixed with the groove and dark verses. Kind of sounds like Fez to me, but with a proper melody line and lyrics. Love the middle 8, the lush piano. Hit for me...

Volcano - I wasn't sure about this on first listen, but I dig this. Good to hear so much Adam on this album, and the chorus again, I swear I heard this before. Reminds me of Florence and the Machine, Ladyhawke. I certainly prefer it to Glastonbury. Hit for me...

Raised by Wolves - Getting a WAR vibe on this one. Bono's RAISED by wolves vocal, does sound a little processed and clean, which took me by surprise, but certainly an inventive song. Could do without the cheesy vocal effect at the start, but really feeling the tribal chorus. Just about a hit for me....

Cedarwood Rd - Great intro, great guitar playing, and then how to kill a song by dying it down for the verse. And then saved by the epic end. Not feeling this one at the moment. Miss for me...

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - Screams of Pop era to me. Velvet Dress with a kick up the ar*e. Brilliant song writing and production and rather dark. Loving the ending too, rather mellow and great to listen to with the lights turn out. Hit for me...

Reach Me - Not loving the weird synth lads. Good guitar playing mind from the Edge and has Clash and Chic written all over it. But not really reaching Bono on this one. Good to have uptempo songs towards the end, but this one for me is a miss...

The Troubles - Great ending to the album. To be honest, I am surprised this one is the final track of the album. Just nice. Hit for me...

Overall, there are no Elevation or Boots songs on this album, which is a good thing for me, not a total shift from the 00's U2, but certainly a fresh sounding album, a good collection of new songs with some good singing from Bono, new sounds from Edge and Larry and Adam at the front. I am impressed with what I have heard. 4 out of 5 from me.

• Subscriber

Just noticed Bill Bailey clip on that blog - always loathed that clip, and another thing Mr. Bailey, it's backfired. Edge did an 'Imagine' documentary with the BBC's Alan Yentob, where the Edge himself clearly displayed how his effects pedals drive the sound, part of the 'scientists' appeal if ye ask me.

Sorry Big Bunny, just had to get that outta my system.lol

don't apologize B) I left a comment on that youtube clip