Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I think acoustic is important both for the sound and because if they do it in the set it can give Larry a bit of a break. We're 10 years on from Vertigo and he was giving his all on that tour. Mind you he still doesn't age, but acoustic may be part of the preservative.

• Subscriber

Sorry I meant I dislike the acoustic promotional stuff at the moment on TV some of it is OK but I don't think it sounds great.

On 360 when they did Stay and Suck In A Moment acoustic it was great i think just in the TV studios etc it doesn't sound as good.

• Subscriber

So, I thought the original release had potential but was generally a bit mediocre - just something missing in the songs though you can feel the potential in several. 

However, the Deluxe version and acoustic versions are great, imo. 

I think U2 made two mistakes on this album: 

1) The song order is not great in the original release. Some of the more potent and catchy songs are at the back. 

2) They should have released these acoustic versions along with Lucifer and Crystal Ballroom. I think it would have been much more unexpected and I think the songs generally sound so much better. 

• Subscriber

While it may not have fitted in well on the album I think The Crystal Ballroom (especially the 12" mix) would have been the best choice for an actual single release, as its ben cast aside as a bonus track on a deluxe edition it probably won't get the attention it deserves.

I'd be willing to bet its on the tour setlist though

My only disappointment in all of this is paying $42 yesterday for the vinyl edition, and not getting all the songs the much cheaper CD had - even as a download would have been great. So after $42 I still don't have the songs you guys got. 

That said, I'm really happy with the vinyl edition otherwise! Nice looking cover, really fantastic white vinyl, and the sound is nice and solid! 

• Subscriber

I wish they'd play some of the new songs as a full band on TV. I'm not a big fan of Bono/Edge acoustic so far.

Yes, I agree totally with you on that one. Not that I don't like the acoustic stuff, it is good, and Bono's vocal is still very strong - I think I mentioned it elsewhere on here - I would just like to see a little more electricity.

• Subscriber

Really liking Lucifers Hands, quite possibly a joint favourite track along with Iris for me. Loving what they've done with 'return of the stingray' riff as a complete song. The 'Rejoice' references in the ' I can change the world in me' slipping in nicely there. A true U2 sound on that track that combines the old and the new for me. A real 'T REX' thump to it.

Great track.

I'm gushing again.