• Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

bigwave

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I'm still amazed that people are so focused on the old songs they want to hear given this album - like their life is over if something they've played a thousand times isn't played for the thousand and first time. Creatures of habit. They can play SOI by itself or maybe add the bits from CD2 and I'd be thrilled.

• Subscriber

I wish they'd play Acrobat, Lemon, Velvet Dress, Staring at the Sun, Wild Horses in full band mode !!!

But I'd also really like to hear Boy Falls from the Sky, North Star and Mercy too !!!

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

I've noticed something listening to Song for Someone - 

"And I'm a long way from where I was, where I need to be..." 

Reminds me of the first line of North Star - "45 light years from home, from where you are, and where I want to be..." 

I think Song for Someone is a reworked version of North Star, and if it is, they've turned it into a much better song.

• Subscriber

Nice catch Peter.

I almost think I'm going to make a burn with the tracklist shifted - the star / light stuff really makes it sound like Iris (light returns) and Song for Someone (light goes out) should bookend the album and make sense when the album rolls over and restarts (isn't this where... ...we came in), though I find that more difficult to work with in a setlist because Invisible should fall in one of those places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

If there is a light you can’t always see
There is a day, a day without me
If there is a light, with a shout
There is a light, don’t let it go out

And this is a song, yes it is, ok, maybe not exactly the song, but it's a song about / for / to someone, or maybe not - I'm dreaming

This is a song to my younger self using the device of time travel to remind me to not grow up into the jerk I turn out to be, that's a long way from your hill of cavalry, instead

To become who I was and needed to be

This is a song, or maybe not any more, I'm going back to bed - light's out! :)

• Subscriber

"About an hour before dawn she heard their howls ahead. It was their dawn chorus. Wolves howled at the sight of Venus rising, knowing the sun would come soon after. Swan saw what they were howling at, but by its relation to Orion knew it was not Venus, but Sirius. The wolves had been fooled yet again; the Pawnee had even named Sirius He-Who-Fools-the-Wolves for this very mistake." - Kim Stanley Robinson, 2312

• Subscriber

Koke, since you seem to be thoroughly enjoying analysing the lyrics, might I recommend genius.com? It's a website where the lyrics of songs get analysed - people can sign up and then annotate individual lines from songs to say what they think that line means. Here's a really good one for Every Breaking Wave: http://genius.com/U2-every-breaking-wave-lyrics/