• Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Songs Of Innocence (Merged)

bigwave

• Subscriber

If there is a light you can’t always see

There is a day, a day without me

If there is a light, with a shout

There is a light, don’t let it go out

And this is a song, yes it is, ok, maybe not exactly the song, but it's a song about / for / to someone, or maybe not - I'm dreaming

This is a song to my younger self using the device of time travel to remind me to not grow up into the jerk I turn out to be, that's a long way from your hill of cavalry, instead

To become who I was and needed to be

This is a song, or maybe not any more, I'm going back to bed - light's out! :)

Isn't it Calvary ?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Bits & Sesshu's

"One day the family is gone, scattered like leaves: the father died of a heart attack a few years ago, the mom of cancer this year. Maybe those kids grow up thinking this life is their fault. Take its fucked-up sadness into themselves, left off at foster homes and distant relatives. I don't know, but I think deep in the ground a heart beats like a train, it's a heart that pumps molten rock and courses like wolves across the ice. It listens as our naked footfalls mark the contemplative earth, ascending toward noon. Silence rings from it like circles in disturbed water." - Sesshu Foster, City Terrace Field Manual

• Subscriber

Bits & Sesshu's

"One day the family is gone, scattered like leaves: the father died of a heart attack a few years ago, the mom of cancer this year. Maybe those kids grow up thinking this life is their fault. Take its fucked-up sadness into themselves, left off at foster homes and distant relatives. I don't know, but I think deep in the ground a heart beats like a train, it's a heart that pumps molten rock and courses like wolves across the ice. It listens as our naked footfalls mark the contemplative earth, ascending toward noon. Silence rings from it like circles in disturbed water." - Sesshu Foster, City Terrace Field Manual

Huh?

• Subscriber

I just don't get it...

Nothing to get. It's a combination of the NY Times article and Bono's comments on the impact of the first half of the set, and the (semi-) real environments of Sesshu Foster's writing (the exact page I was on last night within a couple minutes of reading the article), thinking how even reading that bit would give some grounding of a sort to reality in the songs & considering what you might call its U2-echo density <g> Allow me to hybridize:

One day the family has been gone awhile, scattered like cherry blossoms and every falling leaf on the breeze: the mother died of an aneurysm a few years ago, the father of cancer. Maybe those kids grow up thinking "It was me." Take its fucked-up sadness into themselves, left off at Guggi's and other friend's homes and distant relatives. I don't know, but I think deep in the heart of this place, the one you never left, a heart beats like a train, it's a heart that pumps molten rock like a volcano and courses like wolves stronger than fear across the ice. It listens (we can hear you) as our naked but not afraid footfalls mark the contemplative earth out in the wild, ascending toward the sun with songs. Silence rings from it like circles in disturbed water where we fell into the shining sea: it's hard to listen while you preach. There is no end to grief. Some will rise to be the melody above the silence - there is no end to love.

See? Nothing - just weird timing and a sensitivity to patterns in language :)