Where the Streets, HMTMKM on Pop

Electric Co on Vertigo

Even Better than the Real Thing and I Still leaven't found from the U22 CD

• Subscriber

I see your point jojodee,

Well I guess, one should focus: 

1) on the gigs either realeased by U2 or available to anyone on the net

2) on the song or songs which really stick out for you

But maybe I bit more than I could chew with this question, I'll give you that ;)

• Subscriber

Thank you jojodee and bluegrace,

Well, so far, Bad and Running to Stand Still (Sydney-Zoo TV version) are topping the bill! ;)

Thanks bluegrace for reminding me of the Live Aid version of Bad, it's indeed brilliant.

Now, I'd like to be more specific as to why I really think that this particular interpretation of Running to Stand Still stands out. Every song by U2 sounds way better live, there's no denying that, but here, on top of the "live quality", RTSS sounds really different because of the new arrangement which is epic, cosmic even! As if the private, personal drama of the song was turned into a universal, cosmic one in the very music and not only in the metaphorical aspect of the lyrics. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, actually. Do you see what I mean? Well, maybe I got carried away ;).

Actually, I really like it when they "rewrite" a song for the stage, when they "revisit", you know. Bullet the Blue Sky is really interesting in this regard, and even if I agree that Bad is breathtaking live, it really sounds like the album version.

What do you think?

• Subscriber

I have yet to see U2 live myself, but I do have quite a few concert DVD's. My favorite to date is the POPmart DVD, especially Gone, Last Night on Earth, and HMTMKMKM.  Also, the U2 360º DVD is brilliant.

I really think U2 is like wine or cheese: better with age, because Every Breaking Wave and Song For Someone have both sounded amazing live of late (Graham Norton, iHeartRadio, Later with Jools Holland, etc.).