• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

So, I was just wondering what people's thoughts and speculations are about the stage setup. I know someone had posted elsewhere a detailed photo of the seat map for, I believe, San Jose? This picture had capacity numbers for the GA and Redzone areas. In this photo (see below), it looks like there's a more main type, square shaped stage at one end (not the Redzone end), and a round, possibly b-type sage at the other end next to the Redzones, with what looks like a catwalk runway connecting them.

This was only for San Jose (or whichever city that photo was from). All other seating maps I've seen, the stage just looks like a big long rectangle.

So, to speculate, is this a return to the B-stage motif U2 introduced to the world with ZooTV and then Popmart, before it evolved into the heart and subsequent ellipse of Elevation and Vertigo? If so, this B-stage would on a larger scale, since both stages appear at the extreme ends of the floor.

Another theory: the photo in question also shows two long lines running across the whole length of the stage and extending over the lower level seats. Would they put stage elements on wires that move along the length of the stage and floor, suspended in the air? Maybe the boys will try their hand at trapeze? (OK, now I'm getting ridiculous.)

One more theory: might the runway connecting the two stages in fact be a bridge connecting them, rather than a ground level catwalk (a la the clockhand bridges on 360), allowing GA patrons to walk underneath?

Or is the San Jose seating map photo inaccurate, and it really is just a big rectangle?

post-290540-0-22342600-1418075395_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

IMHO, there's a lot of evidence that we're almost certainly looking at a main stage/b-stage setup.  Not only the SAP picture you posted above, but also that at a bunch of other venues, the side the RZ is on seems to be on the other side from the main stage (e.g., other acts always have their main stages in their respective arenas in the same place as the SAP main stage above).  Plus, various tickets that folks have bought say "restricted view", etc., if they are on the other end away from the RZ, which would make no sense if the "RZ end" were at the main stage.  For full details, see my RZ section post viz. where the RZ is.

I realize that most other maps just show the rectangle, but given the "behind the stage" warnings, etc. mentioned above, it seems extremely unlikely that it's a true in-the-round kind of thing.

Re the connections between the b/RZ and main stages, who knows, but my bet's that it's a catwalk.   That would kinda divide GA into two sections, though, which would be a bit odd (although one could still cross around behind each stage, maybe).  A bridge would be cool and avoid this situation, but it'd have to be a pretty big bridge.

And re the "long lines" thing, good point.  I have no idea what these could be!

• Subscriber

Between the two outer blue lines, over the catwalk area, there appears to be a very narrow ellipse - perhaps the outline of a video screen suspended over the full length of the catwalk? Total speculation of course, but there's bound to be video used somewhere and that way it maximises visibility to the majority of the crowd.

• Subscriber

I think the two narrow, elliptical, dotted lines along the catwalk are the double-sided screen.  An article recently mentioned that the screen would run between the main stage and b stage.  No idea about the longer lines though.