TicketMaster Problems (MERGED)

• Subscriber

41 minutes for Chicago 6/24.  I opened another window and entered my code again, thinking that there must be a problem; 13 minutes ("approximately") is a long time to wait.  I think it bumps the original submission even though it said I have less than 1 minute for the entire time my second window counted down and finally opened for checking out.

DON'T OPEN ANOTHER WINDOW AND ENTER YOUR CODE A 2ND TIME!!!

Multiple browsers are OK, but not windows/tabs within the same one.

Jeff--by "multiple browsers" you mean two different ones? (e.g., Firefox and Safari).  So two windows within, say, Firefox could be problematic?  And if so, under what circumstances?  I tried for MSG tix in the general onsale, and using Firefox, had 4 tabs--one for each show.  I didn't get any errors or whatever (but on the other hand, didn't succeed, either).  Anyway, whatever specifics you know about this would be very helpful.  And how do you know this?

Edited by mike7man
  • Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

TM could do nothing for me. Even after I transferred to a higher up. He listened, which was nice, but held to written script about the terms of the presale, which is maximum 2 per household based on IP address, mailing address, credit card, etc. He tried to make it sound nice, that they didn't cancel both of our presale orders. I don't buy that at all. So infuriating.

Wow.  That amazes me, especially since the ticket limit policy--right there on each venue page--says NOTHING about households.  Rather, it says 2 tix per PERSON.  The stuff they mention regarding addresses, CCs, etc. is all explanation of how they decide that some PERSON is violating the limit.  Again, nothing about households!

• Subscriber

Multiple browsers are OK, but not windows/tabs within the same one.

Jeff--by "multiple browsers" you mean two different ones? (e.g., Firefox and Safari).  So two windows within, say, Firefox could be problematic?  And if so, under what circumstances?  I tried for MSG tix in the general onsale, and using Firefox, had 4 tabs--one for each show.  I didn't get any errors or whatever (but on the other hand, didn't succeed, either).  Anyway, whatever specifics you know about this would be very helpful.  And how do you know this?

I've had problems with previous purchases for other shows where I tried using the same browser and multiple windows/tabs of that same browser. The problem is that Ticketmaster (I'm guessing here) uses cookies to track your session, so the expectation on their end is that you have one instance of Ticketmaster writing to one session cookie, but if you have 3 sessions and one cookie, it has problems.

I guess the example would be you get great GAs in Window One, and while you are doing that, other tickets are offered to you in Window Two that you don't want, so you let them time out or don't even know they are there, since you're busy in Window One, but then your cookie could be updated that your session timed out based on Window Two, and then when you get to the next checkout screen in Window One, you get a timeout error, since it thinks you let the timer run out (which, technically, you did), but since every instance of the browser is writing to one session cookie, there is no way for it to track multiple sessions as separate things.

Now, there is a possibility that you shepherd that one purchase through checkout before anything happens in the other screens to update the cookie... but it's a gamble.

I can't confirm my assessment of their technology is correct, only that I never got any of those errors again once I switched to multiple browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.). I wouldn't risk it.

Also, the other issue you're still potentially going to have is Ticketmaster sees all of these simultaneous requests coming from one IP address, so you might still cause it to think you are a bot or somesuch. So, if you try with too many browsers for too long, you could get kicked off the site for the next 24 hours, with no chance of getting back on from that location.

Edited by jeffwalsh
  • Subscriber

Wow.  Very helpful--thanks!!  I really appreciate the information and explanation--thanks for taking the time!  By the way, which shows are you going to?

Edited by mike7man
  • Subscriber

Even with all the rules, regulations, etc to prevent scalpers....why is it OK then for resellers to sell GA tickets on TM resale for $1000-$2200 per ticket!!!! It's obvious people got these tickets are are selling them for a profit. So all the rules that were supposed to help us actually ended up screwing the long time fans.

post-358848-0-50263700-1418160617_thumb.jpg

• Subscriber

Even with all the rules, regulations, etc to prevent scalpers....why is it OK then for resellers to sell GA tickets on TM resale for $1000-$2200 per ticket!!!! It's obvious people got these tickets are are selling them for a profit. So all the rules that were supposed to help us actually ended up screwing the long time fans.

This is only true w/NYC--and it's because New York has a law banning paperless tickets.  U2 can't do anything about that.

• Subscriber

just a question, how many GA does ticket master allow you to purchase ?

Depends on the situation.  With a presale code, 2 max--period.  And once you've got your 2 tix, that's it (you can't use it in other venues, although in the US, you can do 1 GA in one show, 1 GA in another).  In general onsales, 4 per venue (theoretically; in actually, they sell out super-fast).

• Subscriber

Even with all the rules, regulations, etc to prevent scalpers....why is it OK then for resellers to sell GA tickets on TM resale for $1000-$2200 per ticket!!!! It's obvious people got these tickets are are selling them for a profit.

The rules are to prevent scalpers from getting the tickets. Once they get them, there are no rules... not to mention, we don't know how how many fewer tickets would have gotten to fans without all of the rules that were in place. If StubHub has 100 floor listings now, would they have had 500 without the rules?! We really have no context to say whether the rules worked or not.

• Subscriber

just a question, how many GA does ticket master allow you to purchase ?

Depends on the situation.  With a presale code, 2 max--period.  And once you've got your 2 tix, that's it (you can't use it in other venues, although in the US, you can do 1 GA in one show, 1 GA in another).  In general onsales, 4 per venue (theoretically; in actually, they sell out super-fast).

can i buy two with my presale code and then ring back up and buy one in general sale ? because i need 3 tickets per show ?