Message to Bigwave - Presale Debacle - for all U2 Fans

• Subscriber

Problems with Ticketmaster are long-standing and endemic. Any big ticket sale sends their servers into a tailspin. U2 presale is no different than a Springsteen concert sale or any other major event. TM simply doesn't care to fix the problems because they don't have to. They have very long-term exclusive distribution agreements with the major venues - like Madison Square Garden. If U2 wants to play MSG, they must distribute the tickets via TM. TM will make its money regardless of how long it takes to get tickets to the end users. Having a lousy server doesn't cost them anything - the shows will sell out and they will make their money. They have no incentive to fix anything because upgrading their systems means they actually have to spend money without increasing their revenue

This is a problem with dealing with a monopoly. The band and their agents very little influence over the situation. They can beg and plead "please fix this, our fans are upset", but TM can (and does) simply shrug their shoulders and say "so go find another venue and by the way, we control distribution at every top level venue in the US, so good luck with that."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Is it just me, or would it have made more sense to have these presale start times spread out through the day?  Like a different pre-sale starting up every 1.5 or 2 hours just to spread out the numbers of people trying to use the system?

• Subscriber

Is it just me, or would it have made more sense to have these presale start times spread out through the day?  Like a different pre-sale starting up every 1.5 or 2 hours just to spread out the numbers of people trying to use the system?

This is a great idea. It begs the question why the ticketing experts didn't think of this themselves!

• Subscriber

I just had success in purchasing two tickets for the first Phoenix show but I do feel disappointed in that I am limited to buying tickets to just a single show. I am flying across the continent -from Halifax Canada to Phoenix- and would have really appreciated being able to buy tickets to both shows in Phoenix. I know I can still take my chances next week with the general public ticket sale but I don't think a couple of pre-sale tickets for both nights is an unreasonable thing to expect.

I understand the fear of scalping and the ticket limitations of playing arenas vs. stadiums, however, I, like so many others, feel that after spending thousands and thousands of dollars on U2 over the years, the opportunity for a few extra pre-sale tickets would have been nice.

I am also disappointed in the short notice and lack of details in relation to this tour and the ticket sales. It's fine that our pre-sale codes arrived slowly but what I would of liked to have known, is:

1) Better details about the stage, its position and a high resolution image/map of how it will be laid out. This is extremely important to a buyer when they are spending $200 to $800 on tickets. The stage appears rectangular but there are some indications that there WILL BE an actual "end platform/main platform" to the stage. If this is the case, my tickets might be at the opposite end of the arena - obviously NOT what I would have opted to purchase if I had known the setup.

2) The Dublin concert dates (even a rough time frame)

3) If there will be another tour-leg in 2016. Are they coming back to North America? Many cities have been overlooked. Will they tour Latin America, Australia, etc.? If so, I'd happily overlook the current 2-ticket limitation in favour of saving my money and taking in a foreign U2 concert 2016.

I am still glad, though, that I was able to take advantage of the pre-sale. I appreciate that this is offered to fan club members. I also appreciate the tiered pre-sale access as a way to show appreciation for long-time fan club members. "Thank you" for these things and a "no-thank you" to the other points I've expressed above.

Edited by esperago
  • Subscriber

ummm..it sort of is, though?   You can't get Boston tickets till 10am EST, Chicago at 10am CST, Phoenix 10am MST, and LA 10am PST.   I think it is just that TM has crappy infrastructure to handle popular events. 

The problem is always with US Ticketmaster, they are always horrendously awful...last several purchases had to end up calling for tix, anyone know if we can do presale by phone?

No, tried that recorded voice that says "this is an online purchase event only" 

the problem seems to be with US Ticketmaster, be assured they know about it. 

Thanks!!!  And thanks for all your patience dealing with all our first world problems ;)   I'm sure they are also hearing it from everyone who is filling out surveys.   But, like another said, they have the monopoly on major venues and they don't really have to change.    Took a while but I got my tickets... know I can sit back and send positive vibes to those trying to get theirs.  Keep at it, don't give up. 

• Subscriber

I just had success in purchasing two tickets for the first Phoenix show but I do feel disappointed in that I am limited to buying tickets to just a single show. I am flying across the continent -from Halifax Canada to Phoenix- and would have really appreciated being able to buy tickets to both shows in Phoenix. I know I can still take my chances next week with the general public ticket sale but I don't think a couple of pre-sale tickets for both nights is an unreasonable thing to expect.

I understand the fear of scalping and the ticket limitations of playing arenas vs. stadiums, however, I, like so many others, feel that after spending thousands and thousands of dollars on U2 over the years, the opportunity for a few extra pre-sale tickets would have been nice.

I am also disappointed in the short notice and lack of details in relation to this tour and the ticket sales. It's fine that our pre-sale codes arrived slowly but what I would of liked to have known, is:

1) Better details about the stage, its position and a high resolution image/map of how it will be laid out. This is extremely important to a buyer when they are spending $200 to $800 on tickets. The stage appears rectangular but there are some indications that there WILL BE an actual "end platform/main platform" to the stage. If this is the case, my tickets might be at the opposite end of the arena - obviously NOT what I would have opted to purchase if I had known the setup.

2) The Dublin concert dates (even a rough time frame)

3) If there will be another tour-leg in 2016. Are they coming back to North America? Many cities have been overlooked. Will they tour Latin America, Australia, etc.? If so, I'd happily overlook the current 2-ticket limitation in favour of saving my money and taking in a foreign U2 concert 2016.

I am still glad, though, that I was able to take advantage of the pre-sale. I appreciate that this is offered to fan club members. I also appreciate the tiered pre-sale access as a way to show appreciation for long-time fan club members. "Thank you" for these things and a "no-thank you" to the other points I've expressed above.

If you're coming to Phoenix, you should be able to buy tickets for the second show during the regular sale without much trouble. Phoenix is a very strange concert market. There hasn't been much noise made about U2 coming here except for a mention on the local  news. I don't think people here locally know that Phoenix is one of only six US dates.

Jason

• Subscriber

There are no GA for Vancouver at 10am

Sigma957, wait a bit or try the TM App on your phone.  It me 1.5 hrs to get GA tix to Boston 1, but they were available.  I was never able to get through on my computer, but cruised through in less than 5 mins on my phone.