Subscription - Worth Paying it For Presales? Other benefits? (Merged)

Anici_2

• Subscriber

Guys it's not a waste of money. You did not pay to just be in the presale, that's not the deal with the subscription, you're paying to be a subscribing member of this site for 12 months. Presale access is just one of the benefits of your account, and it is not a guarantee of getting tickets, and doesn't claim to be. It's absolutely understandable that people are frustrated over the ticket situation, and if it happens to me when my presale comes (Dublin) I'll probably be pretty upset too. But you can't take it out on the subscription alone.

Your paid account entitles you to the code, to a gift, and often you will get more gifts over the year. Most of the gifts you get will be stuff that is unavailable elsewhere, except second hand on eBay and the like. They're exclusive limited edition releases. It also entitles you to access to the online audio/video library for a year and to certain areas of the forums that free members aren't allowed on. I get that you might not be interested in all that, but that is what you paid for. You guys are acting like U2.com charges you $50 just to try to buy tickets which is not what happened.

I signed up in 2007 simply for access to the library and I was happy with that. It was one night and I was desperate for some U2 because I couldn't find the few albums I own (I am only 28 and have only been a fan for 14 years so haven't been around for every release, plus I am very disorganised about buying stuff). I found out about the official website and felt it was worth it, especially with the gifts. Didn't even know about presale codes back then, Vertigo was over and 360 was still two years away.

Again I can see why you guys are annoyed but you haven't been missold anything.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Hi to all of you! I need little help, please give me advice...

I subscribed to U2.com last week. I received my presale code and already used it. Now, in my profile page in U2.com is written:

ACCOUNT ACTIVE UNTIL
04 December 2015

My questions are:

1. If I renew my account NOW for 40 USD, will it be active till 04 December 2016?
2. Will I receive in this case new presale code, which I will be able to use for Dublin presale OR for presale of additional tour dates, which MAYBE will be added  to some sold out cities?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Most of all years, subscription wasn't worth the money. Only two of the gifts, I've recieved in my five years as subscriber(between 2004 and 2014) were good, the others not really new stuff, not really interisting, actually mostly written/heared severeal times before. The site itself was good for years...until they sold it to Live Nation. Since then, updates are very rare, some good old infos are deleted. In fact, the only worth is to get access to the pre-presales. That was the only way for me, to get tickets for the last two tours and now the upcoming tour. All European dates where sold out in less than 5 minutes, when the public presales started today. Thousands of Fans got kicked out by Ticketmaster during the payment-process, now got no tickets....dare!

• Community Manager

I subscribed to U2.com last week. I received my presale code and already used it. Now, in my profile page in U2.com is written:

ACCOUNT ACTIVE UNTIL
04 December 2015

My questions are:

1. If I renew my account NOW for 40 USD, will it be active till 04 December 2016?
2. Will I receive in this case new presale code, which I will be able to use for Dublin presale OR for presale of additional tour dates, which MAYBE will be added  to some sold out cities?

hi, 

1. yes

2. no (but you would get a code for any new tour 'leg', come the time (should any be announced in future)

• Subscriber

ACCOUNT ACTIVE UNTIL
04 December 2015

My questions are:

hi, 

1. yes

2. no (but you would get a code for any new tour 'leg', come the time (should any be announced in future)

Thank you for your answer.

So, if I want new code for THIS LEG, I need to make completely new subscription, right? On the name of my wife or some friend for example?

• Subscriber

Got 2 Glasgow GA tickets with my pre-sale code with only one small hitch which was not a U2.com issue (Ticketmaster playing up with my windows browser). Having had such an easy experience I'm glad I keep my membership every year.

Pre-sale aside the sites has had excellent members gifts for the last 5 years which I personally feel is worth the membership on its own.

Every tour since Vertigo the same complaints flood the site and most of the people that make them disappear and never return, which is a shame as there is some truly great members here and I've been very privileged to meet a few of them who've become great friends.

Are U2 in bed with Ticket scalping? Are they pish!

Facts of life scalpers make good money easily from top bands/artists touring and they rip loads of other fans off, it just feels more painful when it's a band/artist we follow ourselves.

I wasn't too keen on Paperless ticketing, but I'd be quite happy to do it all the time if it stopped greedy folk robbing genuine fans of a ticket to something they love.

Glastonbury has had the right idea for years, picture on your ticket no issue with scalpers, maybe it is time for a real big overall of the live ticket market!!!       

Edited by agt

• Subscriber

ACCOUNT ACTIVE UNTIL
04 December 2015

My questions are:

hi, 

1. yes

Thank you for your answer.

So, if I want new code for THIS LEG, I need to make completely new subscription, right? On the name of my wife or some friend for example?

One person is not allowed two subscriptions and you could end up with both accounts being banned if you had two subscriptions. But I think it's fine if your wife makes a subscription, she would get an iNNOCENCE presale code for Dublin (and the possible others) I think, but I'm not sure if having the same credit card or billing address might cause problems... best wait for Bigwave to confirm. :)

Edited by Faye_Kelly

Got 2 Glasgow GA tickets with my pre-sale code ...

Every tour since Vertigo the same complaints flood the site and most of the people that make them disappear and never return, which is a shame as ....

I'm a music fan.  When bands I like come to town I buy tickets and go to the show.  U2- they have some good music, I think they're worth it to see them play. But when then they come to town I can't buy a ticket because --> they've reached a tipping point in terms of popularity and mainstream recognition.  Trying to buy a ticket, as my experience proved today, is not feasible in the general public sale. 

At 10am I got on ticketmaster.  In line online for 40 minutes = nothing.  Now, later in the day, the only tickets available are the $300 cost (I don't have that kind of money).  Resale tickets are at gouging mark up costs -$45 tickets for $200... most prices starting at $280/300 going up to over $1,000.

Complaints because it appears that scalpers buy tickets, taking them from people who legitimately want to see the band.  Then re-sell them at double, triple, quadruple the price.  Making it, for someone like me- a music fan with not deep pockets, not worth it/ not possible to see U2.

But maybe worth it to try and figure out how to access the pre-sales.  Though I guess it's too late for this tour.  Sniff sniff.

I'm lucky bands I'm a big fan of have none of this ticket sales nonsense.  And I've actually had the good fortune to speak to some of the bands I'm a fan of, after shows, as they stick around to sign merch (very different concert experience than U2).  Buying U2 tickets is proving to require a jujutsu approach.