Sign in to follow this  
swanny66

Enough of the complaining

Well said Ingrida.  One thing that really bugs me is long-term U2 fans, from the Propaganda and pre-Propaganda days, believing it's their God-given right to preferential treatment.  I've been a fan since 1982 and I am no more special than someone who became a fan in 2014.  I did not get the tickets I wanted but I got tickets all the same...I was lucky and I'm grateful that I have the means to afford them.  It's also likely that I will be going on my own because of the 2 ticket quota and because I selfishly used that quota on myself over two shows but whatever -- there are people in this world who cannot get food or medicine, a U2 show is a luxury not a necessity.

Edited by edy

Well said ultraviolet.  One thing that really bugs me is long-term U2 fans, from the Propaganda and pre-Propaganda days, believing it's their God-given right to preferential treatment.  I've been a fan since 1982 and I am no more special than someone who became a fan in 2014.  I did not get the tickets I wanted but I got tickets all the same...I was lucky and I'm grateful that I have the means to afford them.  It's also likely that I will be going on my own because of the 2 ticket quota and because I selfishly used that quota on myself over two shows but whatever -- there are people in this world who cannot get food or medicine, a U2 show is a luxury not a necessity.

I agree, I would really, really like to go to show, but if I don't manage to get, or can't afford tickets, the world won't come to an end. I'll probably buy the DVD!

Another thing I want to point out, I was in the Silverchair fan club for years...which also gave access to presales...BUT only for those in Australia. Granted, membership was much lower ($10-$30) a year but I was impressed that U2's fan club is able to extend all the benefits to all their members regardless of the country. U2 could have very well decided only to offer presales to those in Dublin or the European dates.

I have now been involved in the presales for 3 tours in a row and have got tickets every time. Fingers crossed for the public sale.

Let me guess -- all of you got tickets:)

For those of us that didn't and endured problems that have still not been resolved, we're SOL because let's face it, the public sale will be a sh*t-show

My biggest complaint is with TM but I think u2 dot com naively believed their empty words that the problems were fixed.   

I agree, it does seem like various people telling others to "cool off" were actually able to get the tickets (or similar ones), to those that they wanted...

I think there are two issues here; the complaints about not enough of the desired tickets being available, and more importantly, the complaints about ticket master FAILING to work for the Experience members when tickets were still available for the first presale.

When you can actualy pull up MSG GA tickets multiple times (so you know they're available) and then are unable to buy them because TM servers can't keep up and time you out; I'd say its a failed presale. Then when things finally start working...guess what. GA's are gone! This happens all the time in public onsales, which is fine. But NOT for a subscriber presale.

This isn't simply an issue of the tickets you're looking for not being available when you search for them; which, I agree, is not a good reason to be complaining now. However, when a primary benefit of u2.com membership like this is unable to be taken advantage of because the system used to deploy it fails, that's not just TM's responsibility. U2 has to take some responsibility for this failure as well. It reflects poorly on them whether or not it was actually their fault, especially with fans who endured the Vertigo presale debacle as well and trusted that something similar wouldn't be allowed to happen again.

Still hoping that someone steps up with the ability to address this issue for those who are left with an unused presale code because TM wouldn't let them check out with the tickets they had "in-hand".

Until then, I guess all we can do is hope for more shows / presales or a public sale miracle on monday.

At the end of the day, U2 and U2.com have no control over the Ticketmaster website and its many shortcomings and failures. They don't own them, they don't maintain their system servers and they have no control over upgrading the system since it's obviously a pile of shit. Unfortunately since Ticketmaster is the only ticket seller in town, they have U2 and every other artist, sports team, and live event by the balls and they know it. Ticketmaster doesn't care how long people have been fans of any event for whom they sell tickets. They don't care how long a person has been in a fan club or how many thousands of dollars they have spent over the years in support of that act. All Ticketmaster cares about is taking money from the people who want to see those events and that's it. 100% of the blame for this presale fiasco and the Vertigo disaster plus thousands of other presales for many other bands and sports teams, belongs on the head of Ticketmaster. 100%. They are the ones who deserve the name calling and threats and civil action.

U2 and U2.com have tried over the years to adjust their policies to get as many tickets on the hands of their fans as they can. They went so far as to have Adam's own brother take charge of the fan club to try to help make sure the fans are taken care of. The point is that they have tried and it's reflected in their membership gifts every year to paid subscribers and it's reflected in the awesomeness of the mods they have here on Zootopia who, despite having been abused and tortured by so many fair weather fans these pay few days like they have during every presale, they still maintain their composure and genuinely try to help to the max of the power which they have been given. But their hands are tied also because they are just as much at the mercy of Ticketmaster as we are. They really, really try so hard to help but they still get kicked down and it's just not right.

Anyway, as much as I love going to see the band live, I have dreaded presale time every time because it always brings out the worst in people here. The sense of entitlement people have is shocking to me. I'm still sitting here kvelling because my #1 band just literally handed me a free album of theirs on iTunes and here's all these others who claim to be fans, they are the first ones to blame the band at presale time cause they can't get what they want. It's heartbreaking to me but maybe I hold U2 fans to a higher standard than I should. I don't know.

I got royally screwed by Ticketmaster during the Vertigo presale and this time it took over an hour for me to get my tickets. But I don't fault U2 for that nor U2.com because they're not the ones running the show over there at Ticketmaster. I have hated Ticketmaster since before Vertigo for many years and I will continue to do so until and unless they upgrade their shitty system. It's 2014 and they have been charging the most exorbitant ticket fees for decades but yet they can't spring for an upgrade to their shitty system. Whatever. They suck. Point is, it's on Ticketmaster that this presale went bad.

The sense of entitlement people have is shocking to me.

To me too.

Edited by edy

I wish they'd go back to the old way of purchasing tickets; where you had to camp out and wait in line at the box office/ticket master booths.  That would really make people appreciate the convenience of being able to buy online.  

I wish they'd go back to the old way of purchasing tickets; where you had to camp out and wait in line at the box office/ticket master booths.  That would really make people appreciate the convenience of being able to buy online.

Foo Fighters did that with their Beat the Bot campaign this tour.

At the end of the day, U2 and U2.com have no control over the Ticketmaster website and its many shortcomings and failures. They don't own them, they don't maintain their system servers and they have no control over upgrading the system since it's obviously a pile of shit. Unfortunately since Ticketmaster is the only ticket seller in town, they have U2 and every other artist, sports team, and live event by the balls and they know it. Ticketmaster doesn't care how long people have been fans of any event for whom they sell tickets. They don't care how long a person has been in a fan club or how many thousands of dollars they have spent over the years in support of that act. All Ticketmaster cares about is taking money from the people who want to see those events and that's it. 100% of the blame for this presale fiasco and the Vertigo disaster plus thousands of other presales for many other bands and sports teams, belongs on the head of Ticketmaster. 100%. They are the ones who deserve the name calling and threats and civil action.

U2 and U2.com have tried over the years to adjust their policies to get as many tickets on the hands of their fans as they can. They went so far as to have Adam's own brother take charge of the fan club to try to help make sure the fans are taken care of. The point is that they have tried and it's reflected in their membership gifts every year to paid subscribers and it's reflected in the awesomeness of the mods they have here on Zootopia who, despite having been abused and tortured by so many fair weather fans these pay few days like they have during every presale, they still maintain their composure and genuinely try to help to the max of the power which they have been given. But their hands are tied also because they are just as much at the mercy of Ticketmaster as we are. They really, really try so hard to help but they still get kicked down and it's just not right.

Anyway, as much as I love going to see the band live, I have dreaded presale time every time because it always brings out the worst in people here. The sense of entitlement people have is shocking to me. I'm still sitting here kvelling because my #1 band just literally handed me a free album of theirs on iTunes and here's all these others who claim to be fans, they are the first ones to blame the band at presale time cause they can't get what they want. It's heartbreaking to me but maybe I hold U2 fans to a higher standard than I should. I don't know.

I got royally screwed by Ticketmaster during the Vertigo presale and this time it took over an hour for me to get my tickets. But I don't fault U2 for that nor U2.com because they're not the ones running the show over there at Ticketmaster. I have hated Ticketmaster since before Vertigo for many years and I will continue to do so until and unless they upgrade their shitty system. It's 2014 and they have been charging the most exorbitant ticket fees for decades but yet they can't spring for an upgrade to their shitty system. Whatever. They suck. Point is, it's on Ticketmaster that this presale went bad.

Most eloquent and accurate post ever. - Baja

Sign in to follow this