Stop legalised touting

Once again we fall victim to the hands of the legalised ticket touts that are Ticketmaster and their partner site Get Me In.

In just minutes, tickets vanished and were repackaged as more expensive options on Get Me In.

That left a choice of £100-£1500 for standard tickets.

It is an absolute disgrace that this should still be allowed to continue.

U2 as a band, their management and tour management should be fully aware of the processes that happen during ticket sales.

This is nothing new. Every single time it is a total mismanagement.

The rich people who have more money than sense, pay ridiculously high prices. This leaves us mere mortals empty handed.

What really annoys me is that most of these people wouldn't know U2 if Bono bit them on the arse!

Speaking of Bono. He bangs on about the Red and One Campaigns, The Red Zones etc. But is he aware of what happens every time tickets for U2 go on general sale?

OK, there are presales for members. But how much does membership cost? In order to stick with a band who release an album, on average, every 5 years?

I was lucky enough to see the 360 tour at Wembley. That was 2008!!

With 5 or 6 nights at the O2, there should have been plenty of £30-60 tickets to go round. But I wonder what percentage of them actually sold at face value?

My disgust is mainly with the ticket agencies. But it's high time that the bands themselves and their management teams did something about this.

STOP LEGALISED TOUTING, NOW!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I do not like having to swipe my card to get into a show but if that is what it takes I will happily swipe away.  This has to be stopped.  How?   We register to vote in America and then watch the elected baboons play nastily for the next six years.  Maybe we should register to buy concert tickets and have to show legal ID, etc.   I'll do anything to stop high ticket prices from shutting out people who do not have the money.

• Subscriber

Meanwhile people are getting tickets cancelled because they happen to share a home address... 

Kind of puts an end to the argument of the two ticket limit for shows, of trying to get as many different fans to the shows as possible.

All about money it seems. No one has done themselves any favours with this tour yet!

• Subscriber

Yep -- I was also screwed over by Ticketmaster (again!) since I couldn't get onto the site for the Phoenix public sale today -- kept flipping between "loading" and a tantelizing glimpse of the actual "buy tickets" page for the first few minutes (I have a good computer and fast internet connection), by which time it was all over.  It's sickening to see all the tickets immeidately start showing up at vastly inflated prices.   My husband and I did get GAs for the first night, via presale: so at least that worked well for me this time! 

• Subscriber

I agree that something needs to change but I'm totally at a loss for what can be done. In talking about the politicians, they have other priorities that have larger groups of lobbyists in their ear on a daily basis, so something like the price of concert tickets and/or the criminality of Ticketmaster and their shady as hell business practices doesn't rate high on their radar. And it likely never will. Even if big name musicians went in to testify in front of congress, I don't think politicos see it as an important issue, given how so many other issues take priority. Like it or not, concerts are a luxury and not a necessity and that's why it's so hard to make the people in power take it seriously.

I mean truly there's nothing we can do outside of just not paying those prices and not going to shows. But then we miss out on the shows, which is completely unfair. Unless every member of the public refuses to buy scalper tickets for the remainder of eternity, they will stay in business. But how do you reach the masses impactfully enough to get them to quit buying those tickets on the secondary market? I truly don't know and it makes me really sad cause going to concerts is one of my favorite hobbies.

• Subscriber

Once again we fall victim to the hands of the legalised ticket touts that are Ticketmaster and their partner site Get Me In.

In just minutes, tickets vanished and were repackaged as more expensive options on Get Me In.

That left a choice of £100-£1500 for standard tickets.

It is an absolute disgrace that this should still be allowed to continue.

U2 as a band, their management and tour management should be fully aware of the processes that happen during ticket sales.

This is nothing new. Every single time it is a total mismanagement.

The rich people who have more money than sense, pay ridiculously high prices. This leaves us mere mortals empty handed.

What really annoys me is that most of these people wouldn't know U2 if Bono bit them on the arse!

Speaking of Bono. He bangs on about the Red and One Campaigns, The Red Zones etc. But is he aware of what happens every time tickets for U2 go on general sale?

OK, there are presales for members. But how much does membership cost? In order to stick with a band who release an album, on average, every 5 years?

I was lucky enough to see the 360 tour at Wembley. That was 2008!!

With 5 or 6 nights at the O2, there should have been plenty of £30-60 tickets to go round. But I wonder what percentage of them actually sold at face value?

My disgust is mainly with the ticket agencies. But it's high time that the bands themselves and their management teams did something about this.

STOP LEGALISED TOUTING, NOW!!

Are you sure people are getting cancelled or you think they will.  I bought 2tix presale, then one ticket general. 

• Subscriber

I do not like having to swipe my card to get into a show but if that is what it takes I will happily swipe away.  This has to be stopped.  How?   We register to vote in America and then watch the elected baboons play nastily for the next six years.  Maybe we should register to buy concert tickets and have to show legal ID, etc.   I'll do anything to stop high ticket prices from shutting out people who do not have the money.

Ha ! Then the liberals will cry racism if you have to show legal ID!

• Subscriber

I wonder what percentage of them actually sold at face value?

Well, all of them sold to someone for face value, unless you're suggesting Ticketmaster, etc., just put the tickets up on the secondary market themselves?

Pearl Jam have a very good system in place, but it takes a lot of effort. They don't let you know what tickets you have until you pick them up from their fan club booth day-of. And for the GA pit on this last tour, that was determined by lottery, and the pit was ONLY sold to fan club members, no one in the general public had access.

So, you said your first preference was Pit, second preference floor behind the pit, third preference was lower level, etc., and then they confirm you have tickets, but you don't know what you have until the day, but they also go by seniority, so the longer you have been in the fan club, the better the seats. They also release official "bootlegs" of every show through their website for like $10-15.

If you're looking for a model, that seems to be the one. Of course, you'll never find a system that doesn't make someone unhappy.

Archived